• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Charging people to give their disc back?

I would never charge anyone for a disc I found and in fact I've offered to ship them at my expense. I've never had a disc returned to me but this doesn't stop me from following the correct etiquette. As I see it this is part of our sports etiquette as much as letting faster groups play through, being quiet as others throw etc... My worry is that I've seen this changing with the influx of "new players."

I would never charge anyone for a disc I found and in fact I've offered to ship them at my expense. I've never had a disc returned to me but this doesn't stop me from following the correct etiquette. As I see it this is part of our sports etiquette as much as letting faster groups play through, being quiet as others throw etc... My worry is that I've seen this changing with the influx of "new players."

:clap:

B I N G O!

NOT karma, just correct etiquette!

Last edited:
Wow, that's just wrong on so many levels. I'm the type of guy that gives a random disc to the person who returns it to me. That way people know that if they find my disc(s) and return it, they'll get something for it. Holding a disc for ransom?!?! Cahhhman

I can see paying a guy who fishes a lake out a couple bucks for their effort but anymore than that is just plain theft IMO. If there is a name and number on a disc I always make an effort to get it back to them and don't charge, it's the right thing to do.

My thoughts on this have been evolving, but I can probably see paying a guy at least a couple of bucks for e.g. a lake disc (or maybe even requesting a couple of bucks for said disc).

The ratio of "discs I've lost and not had returned" to "discs I've found and returned" keeps climbing, and making me a bit jaded.

If its a disc I want back I always offer a few dollars and a thank you. Sometimes they take the money and sometimes they don't. If I see that its mine and I could care less about the disc I dont even say anything. After all I made the decision to walk away from it either by not getting in the water or after looking. I think by me giving up my search for it makes it theirs, even if it has my name on it. From the finders pov, what if the disc has multiple names on it? What if you call the single number and the person says I don't remember that disc but would like it back. 1 year I found close to 1000 discs in the creeks, I called everyone I knew and then started in on the strangers. Some told me to keep it. Some wanted me ti meet them at the course, some wanted to call me back and never did, some didn't answer. Some came over and bought other discs that I had found. It involves work to get a disc returned sometimes and I'm not opposed to it involving a few dollars. I worked for my dollars, you worked for getting my disc back to me, lets trade work. Other way around too.

Others have said the money might be for drugs or an abortion.
Maybe the guy asking for the money is trying to feed his kids. Maybe not...

I threw a Stingray in the water off the tee on hole #10 at Cliff Stephens one time when I was playing it. There is this guy there with snorkeling gear who waits for stuff like this to happen on the water holes and asks you if you want him to go retrieve the disc for $5. I said no thanks, but only because I could buy a new one for $2 more and had back-ups. If it was a disc I liked a lot, or was worth a couple bucks more I would have definitely took him up on his offer. $5 is fair compensation for fishing your disc out of the water, especially with the danger of gators and diseases in the water and all lol

For discs that I REALLY want back, I will write something along the lines of "If found, you may treat this disc as a coupon for a free beverage of your choice courtesy of the owner. Redeem by calling 603-xxx-xxxx". I've gotten two calls on the two discs I've lost with this written on them and purchased one beer (the other guy left it at the clubhouse and said not to worry about it). It's cool to offer a reward but you shouldn't ask for one to do what's right. This is pretty much what's wrong with America in general - too much entitlement and not enough conscience.

I have recently started writing:

Kevin Callaghan
###-###-####
PLEASE RETURN!

and I have received 4 calls out of 6 lost discs, 2 of which mentioned my PLEASE RETURN!. The two that are no calls were recently lost in places no decent human would enter. If someone returns either of those I will definatly hook them up! I was considering going after one yesterday when we realized exactly where I was pointing to where I thought my disc was we could see a HUGE water-moccosin/cottonmouth snake under the water. That would have been an aweful surprise lol.

It's a dick move, simple as that. I'd go get my disc and leave and if he calls complaining he didn't get his 5 bucks just say i thought he was joking.

How is that dumb, you must not be a smoker. And the first step in getting your disc back from me is writing your info legible. I'm not going to call the variations I think it might be

I recently started writing the following on some of my coveted plastic...

"Reward if found AND returned."

This statement along with my name, PDGA # and phone number should be enough to get them back if necessary.....amirightoramiright??? :confused:

You think because you have your name and number on the disc that it is yours? Some dude finds it and immediatley put his/her name on there and scratches out your name, becomes the new owner. You left it behind. It is no longer your property. This will hold true in any court in the nation.
That being said we want this sport to be a sport of gentlemen who return found discs to the former owner.
I have always called the numbers and returned every disc I have ever found on any course. I can't expect everyone to be so nice and neither should anyone else.
Just be a good guy and mabey karma will bring you good things,,, otherwise you become part of the problem.

If anyone returns a disc I lose, I almost always kick the guy a new disc, or a few bucks. Been doing it for 18 years like that.

First time I ever returned a disc, I was given a brand new disc. So I do the same.

i do the same thing but sometimes you find way more discs then you lose and i'm thinking it is easier to just ship lost discs to the owners for a charge of 2 bucks. i'll pay for env and half shipping. but i hate that people won't meet up and get their discs. esp now that txt is rampant. i'm sadly going to start leaving them hidden on the course and then just txting them a picture of where it is hidden.

is that lame or worse. i was going to txt from my google number too so they will not know it is me.

I personally treat it on a case by case basis.

If I find a disc left in the grass or lost in the brush that has a number on it, I'll call. I've made the same mistake, so I'll try to return the favor extended to me by those who've called me.
But if I go into a lake and pull out a disc with a name on it, it's mine. You threw it in the lake and didn't go in after it. I did. I put may labor and time into this disc. It's now earned, not found.

The only time I'll call on a water disc is if it's a high value disc or has a bunch of aces on it -- in which case I'll call.

I like this^. Sometimes I have hopped in after just throwing one in, seeing where it went in and spent 30 minutes with no luck diving down. so many variables to determine. I think if you don't want to lose it in the water don't throw it near the water.

Latest posts