• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Charging people to give their disc back?

i would normally tell the person off but i lost one of my favorite discs and i would pay money for it. i once payed 30 bucks for an 11x teebird that was mine but this guy who hates me found it and if its worth it to you pay the money and then just tell him off

OP. Tell them you want to meet up, and you have the 5 bucks. then roll up with your gang of homies to intimidate whoever this is. Bring big crazy weapons ( Baseball bat with nails, maybe large length of chain with a heavy lock at the one end). I bet you"ll get your disc back without paying a dime.

If I find a disc in a lake, the guy likely left it behind -- so he either doesn't care enough about the disc to hop in, or he's just lazy. Neither of which are qualities I find endearing.
Or maybe they just lost it but don't have anything to retrieve it (golden retriever, rake, etc.) and are planning to come back for it.

Sometimes I'll lose a disc on a water hole during low visibility hours and plan to come back the next day during higher sun. I've got a favorite disc that is likely on the bed of a creek on my home course, but the water clarity right now is bad. I still want that disc and look for it almost daily, but until all of the conditions are favorable, I'm not likely to see it. If someone else manages to find it, I'd gladly compensate them if they would call me.

Wow - you guys must have crystal clear lakes! Around here, unless it's in the shallowest bit, nearest the shore you're lucky to find it even if you _do_ hop in, and got a good read on it.

Here it's hard to gauge the original owner's relative effort for a lake disc and a deeply buried bush disc. But, the lake disc surely is more effort (at least getting wet, and hunting blind) for the finder.

No doubt. There's always a chance they guy looked for hours in the pond trying to find it. But you've got to draw the line somewhere. I draw the line at right about torso level...in mucky, smelly Indiana pond water.

I think the situation described in the OP is basically extortion. "I'm holding your disc hostage unless you give me $5 for it back"

But as far as the losing a disc in the woods or losing a disc in the water scenarios described later in the thread. I think it's hard to determine 'this guy's lazy he didn't want to get wet, look long enough, go in some thorns etc'

There have been times where I've looked for a disc forever but I lost it around a blind dogleg and didn't have a great idea of where it went it in order to find it.

As far as the water retrival goes, if you got my disc out of a pond and call me on it. I'm going to offer you something for your trouble. It might be the meaning of life. But at least you'd have that going for you.

I think the situation described in the OP is basically extortion. "I'm holding your disc hostage unless you give me $5 for it back"

But as far as the losing a disc in the woods or losing a disc in the water scenarios described later in the thread. I think it's hard to determine 'this guy's lazy he didn't want to get wet, look long enough, go in some thorns etc'

There have been times where I've looked for a disc forever but I lost it around a blind dogleg and didn't have a great idea of where it went it in order to find it.

As far as the water retrival goes, if you got my disc out of a pond and call me on it. I'm going to offer you something for your trouble. It might be the meaning of life. But at least you'd have that going for you.

*Running off to look for mjoyce's discs*

:p

I had a dude rake a disc out and call me. He said "no charge, just remember me next time"

I gave him the 6 bucks i had on me. It was my perfectly beat ontario champ cobra.

I understand both sides to a degree because I always return discs....but salvage and theft are entirely different