• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Charging people to give their disc back?

were i do my pound diving the pro shop has a tip jar for those how want to give some back . out side of that course i call people my self and say lets meet and he cane have his disc back that has only happened once and we had a great round, the rest i have called and got bad numbers or just keep it.

I think if it is a fellow disc golfer who finds the disc, then they should know the etiquette and courtesies of the game and not charge you.

If it is a homeless person, fishing kid, or some other non-DGer, then I would almost expect them to try and make some money off of it. I am not saying this is right, but people are opportunistic. I guess the price they demand will really tell you how badly you want your disc back, and they can pay with karma in the end.

I always lose better discs than I find.
Somewhere out there, someone has the opposite fortune.
To that someone: "You're welcome."

I'm trying to adopt the stance that losing discs validates me buying new discs without the eventual need to rent a storage unit.

I have charge $5 for me to drive to someone before. If you drive to me its yours free of charge. Ive also given tips for geting back special discs to me. I think $5 is worth it if you love this disc and will have someone spend their gas money to get it back to you.

Only acceptable if the guy bought it at a PIAS or something, and then it should be what he paid, not what its worth.

Lost my favorite tracker a few months back. About a week later a guy called and asked me if I wanted to meet or if it would be easier to leave it in the Disc Nation store near the course. I said the store as I could not meet with him right away. He did indeed leave it there and I was able to get it back. I do the same for others. Guess I believe in karma.

On another note, he did first try to sell the disc back to the good people of Disc Nation. One of the ladies working that day saw my name and number and suggested he try to contact me first before selling it. I think the fact that I got my disc back was thanks to her.

Do you think its right to charge someone to give them their disc back? because I got a call from someone saying hey I got your disc and it will cost you $5 to get it back. what should I do?

Call him, agree to meet somewhere. Bring the cops. It's your property, if he does not hand it over, his loss...

It's realy a dick move to charge someone.

I had a guy call me on a Ching Roc I'd lost in a little sink hole pond (searched forever). He calls, says "found your disc, I'm always at the course so just call me when you're gonna play. But MAN that disc is super nice, flies really well." K...so...he threw it...that's fine I guess, he's returning it after all.

Call the guy every time I'm headed to the course (5 times per week average at the time, easy). He's never able to meet. Finally, I call him and offer to drive 40 min to his house. He says that's okay, he'll just drop it in my mailbox because he works near my house....

Disc is waiting for me in the mailbox, and it looked like he'd been playing with it every day over the month + he'd had it. Was 9/10 when I lost it...6/10 when he returned...

Pretty ballsy.

I personally treat it on a case by case basis.

If I find a disc left in the grass or lost in the brush that has a number on it, I'll call. I've made the same mistake, so I'll try to return the favor extended to me by those who've called me.
But if I go into a lake and pull out a disc with a name on it, it's mine. You threw it in the lake and didn't go in after it. I did. I put may labor and time into this disc. It's now earned, not found.

The only time I'll call on a water disc is if it's a high value disc or has a bunch of aces on it -- in which case I'll call.

How is it different? They chose to stop looking for the disc in the woods or brush just like someone chose not to go in a lake or pond. Does a disc of high value or a lot of aces all of a sudden not make it your disc? How do you know when a disc of not a lot of value to you may have sentimental value to the other person? A guy returned a disc to my dad and I both out of a pond and didn't ask for anything but he got five bucks in return because we appreciated the gesture, I'm glad he was a stand up guy.

I think if you don't want to lose it in the water don't throw it near the water.

People can say the same thing about throwing it in the high grass or woods also. Nobody is going to throw a perfect shot every time.

these threads always go the same way

Be careful pulling a stunt like this. The guy who found your disc might be bigger than you and have friends with him.

I am a pretty big guy and I got some big friends.... thats why I usually dont go alone. The thing I know for sure he isnt old enough to drive... lol

This.

When I find discs, I call and expect to be met at a course of my choosing at a time that works for me. Or just leave it at the course pro shop, if applicable.

But I think it is situational. As someone pointed out earlier, if you lost it in the water, you clearly saw it go in and decided it wasn't worth the time/effort to get it. If someone took time to fish it out, probably reasonable to expect to have to pay a nominal fee (few bucks). I don't think that is too d-baggy and wouldn't take too much offense, especially if it was a favorite disc (they're all favorites).

That said... I can't imagine being the person to actually call someone up and ask for payment for their own disc. A smart caller would ask for nothing and hope for some good karma to come his/her way.

I am sorry about the double post I wasnt able to see where it went. At our course the whole it was at it was covered by trees and could see where it went as I was blinded by the trees. I just wish that some youngsters to has some class. And just see what happens maybe you would get money. I would understand if you had to pay for the gas. but if your mom or dad or even just friend, I am sorry but I never charge someone like that but I would not mind giving him a disc. but I will just ask him if he wants my blizzard wraith.

I would just go and meet him and hold the fiver out and snatch my disc and keep the five. Then I would tell him I would of gave him ten bucks if he hadn't of tried to extort money out of me. If he has a problem with it then its ass kickin time!

I lost a pro wraith, my go to driver at the time, by a local high school course a few years back. I got a call a few months later from an individual who sounded like a pre-teen Boomhower. He informed me he found my "god damned frisbee-disc" and insisted I pay him twenty dollars for it back. He was giggle the whole time and his talk was so unnatural that it amused me for a while. Then I politely told him I could purchase a new one for 13 dollars so he can take that one and shove it. Have not written my name on a disc since.

I don't charge, but if somebody goes out of there way to find plastic they should be rewarded. I think $5 is reasonable if they went to a lot of effort to find it. IF the disc isn't worth $5, let him keep it. Simple.

or just kick his ass (sarcasm)

How is it different? They chose to stop looking for the disc in the woods or brush just like someone chose not to go in a lake or pond. Does a disc of high value or a lot of aces all of a sudden not make it your disc? How do you know when a disc of not a lot of value to you may have sentimental value to the other person? A guy returned a disc to my dad and I both out of a pond and didn't ask for anything but he got five bucks in return because we appreciated the gesture, I'm glad he was a stand up guy.

Dunno. I guess to me, it's intent that makes the difference. If I find a disc just laying in the grass, the guy forgot it -- so it was a mistake. We all make mistakes.
If I find a disc in the brush, the guy likely tried for find it, but couldn't -- so he tried, but failed. We all fail from time to time.
If I find a disc in a lake, the guy likely left it behind -- so he either doesn't care enough about the disc to hop in, or he's just lazy. Neither of which are qualities I find endearing.

I obviously can't tell by the looks of a disc whether it has sentimental value. But I've always had my ace discs signed by the other players in my group. So if there are a bunch of signatures, it's likely a sentimental disc.

I'm not saying I have some equation to calculate the ethics of whether to return a disc or not. I should add that if the DG course has a disc dropbox or lost and found, I'll always put a found disc in...unless it's the month of August and the moon is in its crescent faze.

If I find a disc in a lake, the guy likely left it behind -- so he either doesn't care enough about the disc to hop in, or he's just lazy. Neither of which are qualities I find endearing.

Wow - you guys must have crystal clear lakes! Around here, unless it's in the shallowest bit, nearest the shore you're lucky to find it even if you _do_ hop in, and got a good read on it.

Here it's hard to gauge the original owner's relative effort for a lake disc and a deeply buried bush disc. But, the lake disc surely is more effort (at least getting wet, and hunting blind) for the finder.