• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Charlotte here we come!!! MUST PLAY courses...anyone???

duckbutter

Par Member
Four of us are planning an eight day trip to Charlotte from Denver CO just for playing disc and getting fat eating great food. We will be staying at Lake Wylie
WHOO HOOO!!! Fish camps and BBQ!!! If I could type the sound Homer Simpson makes while lusting over food I would.
BTW I lived in Statesville from 72-87 so I kind of know my way around the landscape.

We are novice players "Drive distance 300" Give 50 :D or take 250 :wall: for good and bad throws. We would like to hit two or more 18'ers a day. These are the courses we hope to try and fit in.
Eastway Park
Elon Park
Hornets' nest
Kilborne
Nevin Park
Reedy creek
Renaissance
Sugaw creek
Plantation Ruins at Winget - Lake Wylie
Rankin Lake - Gastonia
Glenn C. Hilton Memorial Park - Hickory
Stumpy Creek - Mooresville
Bradford Park - Huntersville
Winthrop - USDGC Champ course. I mean come on; even if we suck we have to play it.

How would you rate the above listed courses as must play? I only ask just if we are running short on time.
Are there any other MUST PLAY courses not listed above within 60 mile diameter of Charlotte we should check out??? Please, if it's a 9 hole... it has to be amazing.

Thanks so much for the input everyone.
Jake, Jason, Ben, And Wakeen.

P.S. If you see someone passed out on your street. It could be one of us, OD'ed on fried seafood and pull pork sandwiches.

We did the charlotte trip last September. You are really in for a treat. This thread may help you.

The courses are great, the food is great, and the people I met were all amazing. If you get the chance, I highly recommend talking to ChainAddicted to see if he can get you on the "secret course" while you are there.

Last edited:
We did the charlotte trip last September. You are really in for a treat. This thread may help you.

If you get the chance, I highly recommend talking to ChainAddicted to see if he can get you on the "secret course" while you are there.

Yes.

I'd keep Winthrop fairly far down the list. It's not bad, but you wouldn't be playing the course as set up for the USDGC.

Eastway Park Very good, some are turned off by openness.
Elon Park Must play
Hornets' nest must play
Kilborne very solid but older course
Nevin Park Must play
Reedy creek very fun, easier course
Renaissance must play if need to be humbled
Sugaw creek N/A haven't played it yet, was a basket stolen
Plantation Ruins at Winget - Lake Wylie N/A (looks cool)
Rankin Lake - Gastonia Park was closed for renovations, don't know if/when it will be playable again but was a fun course.
Glenn C. Hilton Memorial Park - Hickory N/A unfortunately
Stumpy Creek - Mooresville Mostly a very good course, don't like some of the open holes
Bradford Park - Huntersville N/A but looks great
Winthrop - USDGC Champ course. I mean come on; even if we suck we have to play it. The actual gold layout is only down during tourneys but the baskets down all the time I think. Navigation is hard
RL Smith - definite must play IMO
Fox Chase - one of the best in the state
How would you rate the above listed courses as must play? I only ask just if we are running short on time.
Are there any other MUST PLAY courses not listed above within 60 mile diameter of Charlotte we should check out???
By N/A I mean I haven't played it yet.

Fox Chase is a little drive from Charlotte but well worth it IMO. If Rankin Lake isn't open the course at Bradley Center is a nice consolation prize if you're in that area. The back 9 is pretty good.

Honestly, not a fan of Winthrop. It's neat if you've never played disc on a very well maintained course with a lake and everything (like ball golf) but it's super open and hard to navigate w/o a guide.

Four of us are planning an eight day trip to Charlotte from Denver CO just for playing disc and getting fat eating great food. We will be staying at Lake Wylie
WHOO HOOO!!! Fish camps and BBQ!!! If I could type the sound Homer Simpson makes while lusting over food I would.
BTW I lived in Statesville from 72-87 so I kind of know my way around the landscape.

We are novice players "Drive distance 300" Give 50 :D or take 250 :wall: for good and bad throws. We would like to hit two or more 18'ers a day. These are the courses we hope to try and fit in.
Eastway Park
Elon Park
Hornets' nest
Kilborne
Nevin Park
Reedy creek
Renaissance
Sugaw creek
Plantation Ruins at Winget - Lake Wylie
Rankin Lake - Gastonia
Glenn C. Hilton Memorial Park - Hickory
Stumpy Creek - Mooresville
Bradford Park - Huntersville
Winthrop - USDGC Champ course. I mean come on; even if we suck we have to play it.

QUOTE]

You left out The Scrapyard at Idlewild Park, R.L.Smith Park and Bailey Rd., all which will be used in the 2012 Worlds here in Charlotte.

I would suggest Hornet's Nest an Renny, not the easiest but memorable for a great road trip.

I would also suggest Bradford and Eastway based on your listed skill level -- these would fit for a fun time an scoring posibilities based on your playing level

Nevin is not a must play for your level; woods shots all day.

RL Smith is great fun and would fit your play level as well.

As mentioned, if you go to Winthrop, you wont be playing the course you think you'd be playing for the championship. I say pass.

Definitely hit up chainaddicted though, he is a good cat and can help get you to a really sweet course not on the list.

This is great guys!!! :clap: Thanks for the info, keep it coming.
Any suggestions on Disc shops to replace lost items???

Play It Again on 51 near Pineville, not too far off 485.

Infinity's End is this trippy hippy place on South Blvd. Not *too* far off of I-77.

I applaud Stan and all the Charlotte courses but I always find myself at FOX Chase in Albemarle. It kinda feels like the courses at the IDGC, the next best disc golf road trip after Charlotte.

I met some friends from ATL in Charlotte a couple of weeks ago and they "HAD TO PLAY RENNY GOLD LAYOUT" but had the least amount of fun there cause it was too challenging for them. The black layout is much more fun for newish players if you head there.

Great Initial List, I grouped them based on what you should play in a day. I think you can get 3 courses in some of the days without much problem. I added time of play for 2-3 players playing casually.

Hornets' nest - 2 hrs
Nevin Park - Shorts isn't that bad, 2 hrs

These three courses are within 5 miles of each other. Swing by the Rusty Rudder after(Tuesdays $1 drafts) Get to view some of that NC Southern Belle
Bradford Park - Huntersville 1.5 hrs (shorts)
Bailey (take you 40 minutes)
Secret Course - Talk to CHain Addicted 2 hrs

Eat:Vinnies on the Lake
Mondays - I think all you can eat crab legs.
Stumpy Creek
Glenn C Hilton

Elon Park Depends if you play Angry Beaver or Eager Beaver (Short 40 minutes) (Angry 2 hrs)
Plantation Ruins at Winget - Lake Wylie (1.5 hrs)

Renaissance 2.5 hrs
RL Smith 2.5 hrs

Kilborne - short 1.5 hrs
Idlewild (1.5 hrs)

Eastway Park Shorts - 1.5 hrs
Sugaw Creek - 1.5 hrrs

Rankin Lake - Gastonia 2 hrs
Bradley Center 1.5 hrs
Va Du Mar 2 hrs

Winthrop - USDGC Champ course. You will find that this course is not hard with no ropes or long baskets. Navigation is extremely confusing, I would actually say...play Bradley Center in Gastonia for a Gastonia day and skip this course. Boyd hill 3 miles away is better when Winthrop is not set up for championships. Just drive around the lake...you will see all you need to without having to play it.

Last edited:
I applaud Stan and all the Charlotte courses but I always find myself at FOX Chase in Albemarle. It kinda feels like the courses at the IDGC, the next best disc golf road trip after Charlotte.

I met some friends from ATL in Charlotte a couple of weeks ago and they "HAD TO PLAY RENNY GOLD LAYOUT" but had the least amount of fun there cause it was too challenging for them. The black layout is much more fun for newish players if you head there.

I would suggest the short layouts for all the courses. They are amazing but skip Hornets Nest Web, Renny Gold, Nevin Long, SKillborne(at Kilborne), Eastway Longs.

WOW! I can't believe the responses! Thanks so much everyone! This is great info, speaking your mind, good stuff.

Anyone know if Laney's fish camp in Mooresville is still around and still great food? This would be a blast from the past for me. I used to do family dinner every Friday there. I also have to stop at some point and hit Little Pigs in Statesville for a foot long, pull pork, and hushpuppies.

Unless you like getting caught up with tons of people and 3-hour rounds, you should check the league calendar and avoid them. Example: Elon short has a 10am Saturday league. I think are some other regular leagues at other courses, as well as some travelling leagues.

Related, if the weather is nice at all, Elon short will be PACKED on weekends, and reasonably crowded weekday afternoons. I'm assuming Reedy and Kilborne (and others?) are also packed on weekends, but I haven't been to either in years.

Glow Thursday nights at Bailey. You can get that course out of the way at night!

i'm headed to charlotte in april, so thanks as im using this info too.

For what it's worth I spelled one of my buddies' names wrong. Seeing how I can not edit the original post, he just wanted me to let everyone know I'm a big idiot!!!
There Joaquin, you happy now??? .............................Ethnic names :confused:.

Damn you Wakeen, damn you.

Last edited:

Latest posts