• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Charlotte here we come!!! MUST PLAY courses...anyone???

Hi Everyone,
I've been reading back through the thread. I'm a little confused on one thing.
I see postings for a course "Reeny Gold" Is this Renaissance long course or Reedy creek long course?

looks like i may be taking my charlotte trip next weekend!

I will be down there as well June 1-7. What are some better campgrounds in the area that are close to the courses?

I think there is a campgrounds on Lake Norman. That's not too bad a drive I to town. Seems like there should be something on Wylie too. There are some fun bars on Norman with great scenery in the summer. Probably worth the extra drive.

my parents live in concord so thats where i will be traveling from, im gonna try to fit in a bunch of courses that suit me.

(p.s. sorry for the thread-jack)

my parents live in concord so thats where i will be traveling from, im gonna try to fit in a bunch of courses that suit me.

(p.s. sorry for the thread-jack)

I live very close to Concord. You should hit me up dude, if you 'knowhumsayin'" *;)...

*(non-gay wink)

There are no non-gay winks with that outfit in your avatar. It's Ok, we all like you anyway.

I think the OP is going to love Plantation Ruins at Winget. It is a new short and technical woods course that suits his style of play very well.

Hi everyone,
We all got together this weekend and put together a rough draft of the courses each of us would like to hit.
This list was compiled from all the wonderful information from this thread and available media resources all found here at DGcoursereview.com :clap:. We also took into consideration our skill level and the fact that we are fat lazy basterds :p, this is what we came up with.

These are our "Must play courses"
Elon Park, eager and maybe angry - Ben's pick
Fox Chase - Everyone's pick
Glenn C. Hilton Memorial Park - Everyone's pick
Hornets' nest, shorts- Jason's pick
Kilborne - My pick
Plantation Ruins at Winget
Reedy creek
Sugaw creek

Other courses may be added if time, energy and frustration levels allow for it.
Again, thank you everyone for the information and assistance provided from this thread.

See you in May! :D
Thank You,
Jake.

Last edited:
How bad are you guys? B/c Elon Short is a cake walk really. Angry Beaver is tough but it's nowhere near as evil as Renny or Nevin can be IMO. If you've been playing for any decent time it's worth a go, challenging but fun.

In Colorado you do not have tunnel shots on the in town courses. I would say 50 to 70 percent of the in town courses use distance to make the hole difficult. You have to understand that courses here do not have densely packed wooded areas. The climate here is a high altitude desert. For a course to have some tunnel shots you have to go into the mountains. This means it's a day trip, not something you hit during the weekdays after work.

I would say our main weakness is laser straight accuracy with distance.
Most shots for us are 300ft "skill level" hyzer flip or hyzer bomb shots. those are with driver not mid range discs.

We looked at Nevin and man that would be a rough day for us. On a fairly open course and playing everything as par 3, we can put up a score of par or a few under.

Hmm, well then you have a decision to make. Play the better courses and risk getting "culture" shock and beaten down by more wooded courses or play the easier courses and miss out on some trademark Charlotte golf.

Your itinerary looks good so far, I'd say that Fox Chase isn't any less angry than Elon Long in the difficulty and tunnel dept. though. Fox Chase is a lot more up and down too, if that helps. Maybe you could start off with the easier courses and see how it goes, working your way up into the others. Something like: Reedy, Kilborne, Sugaw, Plantation Ruins, Glenn C. Hilton*, Hornet's Nest, Elon, and then Fox Chase.

If you're still having fun after Hornet's Nest, you shouldn't fear Angry Beaver (Elon) or Fox Chase too much.

I'd consider Eastway a good substitute, it's one of the few Charlotte courses with some open holes, a good mix of classic Charlotte woods golf.

*never played Hilton, making an educated guess.