• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pittsburgh to Charlotte Mar 21-24

allinpflop

Eagle Member
Hitting the road to play some great courses. Just looking at the ratings here the courses I have identified are:
Sugaw Creek
Nevin Park
Eastway Park
Hornet's Nest
Renaissance Park
Reedy Creek
Bailey Rd.
Elon Park
Rankin Lake
Stumpy Creek
Fox Chase
Glenn C. Hilton
Kilborne Park
Eastway Park

We are going to try and squeeze as many in as we can but I doubt these are all possible in 3 days. Any local suggestions on cutting back the list would be great. If there is anything I may have missed please feel free to add. Lastly any local hangouts (breweries bars restaurants) that aren't to be missed would be great. Thanks in advance.

allinpflop and kimnem

I might be able to catch up with ya for a round, I'll be traveling through the area as well, keep me informed if you want to meet up.

In the interest of maximizing your disc golf, note that Renny & Hornet's Nest each have two overlapping layouts. If you've got the stamina you might want to try to play both while at each course. Elon has two courses---Elon Long and Elon Short---and they don't use those modifiers lightly.

If you're willing to take a small detour starting around Narrows, VA, Golden Hills in Blacksburg is a fun, challenging course. I know it's not rated really high; but It doesn't take long to play, and I can't see it adding more than 30 min. driving time to your trip. Plus you can stop and check out VT if you want, maybe grab lunch there.

EDIT: Actually it might add up to an hour to the drive, so do with that info what you will.

Last edited:
Maybe bring some glow discs and you can get in a couple more rounds at the easier courses? ;)

Check with bikinjack on Rankin. They are working on a new course in Gastonia, and I think Rankin is going to close temporarily for some improvements to the park.

If you're willing to take a small detour starting around Narrows, VA, Golden Hills in Blacksburg is a fun, challenging course. I know it's not rated really high; but It doesn't take long to play, and I can't see it adding more than 30 min. driving time to your trip. Plus you can stop and check out VT if you want, maybe grab lunch there.

EDIT: Actually it might add up to an hour to the drive, so do with that info what you will.

We have talked about hitting that course up on the way thru.

I played Hornet's Nest yesterday for the first time, it is now my favorite course in Charlotte. Sugaw and Eastway are not that great. Although, Sugaw is right around the corner from Hornet's Nest and can be easily played in an hour to hour and a half. Eastway is probably most people's least favorite in Charlotte, a few bright spots up to Hole 6, then it's totally boring.

On your way down I-77 (the logical route), you will not go wrong visiting Ashe County Park - designed by Harold Duvall on an amazing piece of property.

I also really really like Yadkin County Park - even though it is rated only 3.5 (dinged hard here for natural tees and not so good navigation).

Check with bikinjack on Rankin. They are working on a new course in Gastonia, and I think Rankin is going to close temporarily for some improvements to the park.

Rankin is still going to be open until sometime in early April. There's gonna be a tourney there on April 2nd. The baskets may well be moved to Bradley the next week.

I may be able to meet up with you for a round one evening.

We are going to try and squeeze as many in as we can but I doubt these are all possible in 3 days. Any local suggestions on cutting back the list would be great. If there is anything I may have missed please feel free to add. Lastly any local hangouts (breweries bars restaurants) that aren't to be missed would be great. Thanks in advance.

Anyone?

Hitting the road to play some great courses. Just looking at the ratings here the courses I have identified are:
Sugaw Creek
Nevin Park
Eastway Park
Hornet's Nest
Renaissance Park
Reedy Creek
Bailey Rd.
Elon Park
Rankin Lake
Stumpy Creek
Fox Chase
Glenn C. Hilton
Kilborne Park
Eastway Park

Okay, so depending on your preference I'll give you some descriptions of the courses so you can perhaps decide that way.

Nevin, Elon (angry beaver), Renny, Hornets Nest, Eastway (longs), Stumpy, are all legit, full size, nice, pro-level courses. If I had to skip any of these, it would been Eastway and Stumpy. I'd never recommend skipping nevin, elon, renny or hornets nest.

Sugaw, Kilborne, Eastway (shorts), Reedy Creek, are all mainly par 3s but some good distance and really overall nice courses. If I had to skip any of these it would be Eastway and then sugaw I guess.

Bailey Rd. is a pitch and putt course, but it's in great shape and in a nice area w/ fun holes if you are in the area and want to knock something out quick. Elon shorts is similar, but it has 2 distinct other options at the same facility. I'd skip both of these if you're looking to get in some more challenging courses.

Rankin, Fox Chase, Glenn Hilton, I haven't played any of these but I've heard great things about Rankin and Fox Chase.

Anyone?

Restaurants and bars, hmm. I'm a fan of the penguin, big daddys burgers, tyber creek pub, mellow mushroom, cabo fish taco, diamond restaurant is supposed to be good, prices chicken coup, Lupies, philosophers stone, jackalope jacks, I'll post some more if I think of something I've forgotten.

http://www.mckoys.net/

best food Ive ever had and its a drivers throw from Renny.....I highly recommend it...authentic barbecue sooooo good it dont need sauce not to mention the rest of the menu just great food especially for a full sevice bar

I played these courses and will attempt to steer you in the correct direction

Renny- huge course that is much more open and not as much elevation than its rep....the difficulty is found in the distance but moreso on elevated baskets perched on precarious slopes and gulleys....some love it some hate it...I can't putt so I hated the climbs in and out of the deep ravines. Tough to think of another course with so many zany basket placements that empasize putting....I think everyone should play it once and many only play it once and never return...even locals I talked to

Eastway- Not overly long or challenging starts out promising and then goes limp after hole 6 until the last 3 holes....basically too open and too much road and basically a true letdown for me. They say its improving but I'm not sure how you improve a course that has an access road running through half of the holes...blah....well designed for the property but again only so much possible here...I did like holes 1-6 and 18.

Reedy-like Schenley in Pitt this is where it all began for Charlotte....just a great old time course with plenty of broken in fun par 3s utilizing elevation and woods to make for a throwback good time.....course was a blast and I'm glad I took the time to check it out...not world class but would be a gem in other cities

Hornets Nest-everyone loves this course and with good reason.....has some great holes that would fit in at Moraine or Deer Lakes.....play the longs and get a guide or a map....has one of the coolest fairways through the woods for 2 holes a wide driveable swath through dense woods. It loses points again for a handful of holes around an access road and these are long holes where the road runs the entire length of each hole...adds challenge but sadly adds blight and danger....a tiny notch below Deer Lakes and Moraine IMO..but its spectacular otherwise

Nevin I make no bones about it this is the one to play IMO and its very close to Hornets Nest. It's like a stretched out Basil Marera with a tad wider fairways. Brutal in length and twisting wooded fairways...but relax there are a few equally unique and fun par 3s in those woods that will keep your adrenaline and spirits up. I rank this one up there with Nockamixon, Iron Hill and Orange Crush for twisted woods madness......this one is the best course I played in the Queen City...might be my tastes but again its a unique and soon to be famous course after World's 2012 so I'd highly reccomend playing it.

A few other thoughts......North Carolina Woods are far denser than Pennsylvania so theres more of a straightforward aspect to their courses...recovery in PA and up North is half the fun but down south with the longer growing season your met with much denser underbrush and thus your pitching out more often than making that fun miracle recovery shot from off the fairways......I'm still not sure how I feel about this but it does add challenge and perhaps reduce fun? One thing for sure is rarely will players be able to cut a corner short on a dogleg so in a way this is a good thing.

I hope this helps and wish I played more courses but thats all I was able to hit oh that and a private course that I think you'd be better off snooping around the locals if you can get permission to play one...NC has a huge "homegrown Scene" which is pvt unadvertised courses.

I played Hornet's Nest yesterday for the first time, it is now my favorite course in Charlotte. Sugaw and Eastway are not that great. Although, Sugaw is right around the corner from Hornet's Nest and can be easily played in an hour to hour and a half. Eastway is probably most people's least favorite in Charlotte, a few bright spots up to Hole 6, then it's totally boring.

Not sure where the Eastway "people's least favorite" comment comes from but from my perspective that comment is entirely innacurate. This course has gained a large following faster than any other course in Charlotte ever. Many people have told me that they think this course is my BEST design. I don't agree with that but for too many reasons that are not to the point of this thread. I also am of the opinion that for a shorter course Sugaw can help a player build a complete game and is a really good short course. Still, I have only been playing since '77' and am headed for the glue factory so my perspective is limited and opinions like mine are after all, only opinions.

I'll second the McKoy's thing. I'm probably the one who mentioned it first. It's the best bar food you'll ever eat. Also, if you make it to G-Town to play Rankin, Freeman's Pub in downtown Gastonia, is a good place to hang out and drink a beer. In Hickory, Olde Hickory Brewery has two places where they sell their wares. One is downtown Hickory, and the other is out on Hwy. 70, west of town.

From your list of courses, Bailey and Kilborne are my least favorites. All are at least decent courses. most are exceptional.

Awesome stuff guys. I know I am supposed to be trying to thin the list not add to it but what do you think about Winthrop Lakefront (aka USDGC course)? I have been told that without the yellow ropes it loses some of its appeal and it will add some drive time for us. Worth making the trip down or just stay in Charlotte?

Just play them all it's completely doable.

Winthrop Lakefront and Winthrop Gold (USDGC) are two different courses that use some of the same land/baskets/tees.

Both courses are available at all times. Yes, Gold is always available, it just doesn't have the rope. Without the ropes, it has even MORE appeal for everyday play. Unless you are rated over 980 or so, the Gold course (without the rope) provides ample challenge. Some might find it long and a little boring, but I don't really agree with that.

If you're a big fan of the USDGC, I recommend playing the Gold course. It gives you some true perspective on what the players are facing once the rope is there.

The Lakefront course is a par-3 course that is fun. It's a different kind of golf than the wooded tunnels that are so prevalent in Charlotte. Much more like a city park setting amid mature trees, with the added danger of the lake.

IN EITHER CASE, GET A MAP!!! Both courses are horribly marked and impossible to navigate.