• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Charlotte here we come!!! MUST PLAY courses...anyone???

I searched through this thread and didnt see what dates you posted as to when you cats are comin' down. Info please.

Also some of our courses are a little lacking in signage. :eek:

I'd definitely recommend printing out some maps.

Or find some locals to show you around. :)

I searched through this thread and didnt see what dates you posted as to when you cats are comin' down. Info please.

Dates...pfsh...We all know you'll be golfing every single day. :hfive:

I'm enjoying this thread because it reminds me of all the fun we had last fall. Take care boys.

One oft-forgotten facet: The desire to play a course more than once. More often than not, when I have friends visit from out-of-town, we're trying to see lots of courses, so many of them we only play once. This KILLS them, especially on courses like Renny and other courses that are wooded and/or have multi-shot holes. There is just so much to see regarding landing areas and strange angles. It's impossible to gather that info from the tee or even from walking down the fairway 100 feet.

Everyone is different -- maybe you're all happy to just play a course once blind, just to see it. But I highly recommend leaving time to go through twice, or leave a couple days at the end to re-visit the courses you want another shot at.

We are planning on the third week of May, 12th-20th. We are looking mostly to play during the week. Maybe hit Carowinds on the weekend or maybe run to the coast for a day.

So, Mr. Chain-Addicted what is with this secret course everyone is saying I need to speak with you about? IM me if you do not want to post the info.

To Everyone - I know this is really not the place. One of the guys coming is a huge grill head. He loves BBQ events or competitions. Might anyone have some info on something like this going on these two weekends?

It was mentioned to play the short layout, but i disagree there. Play the layout that sounds the most interesting to you. Renny gold, you still get to see all of the Renny black layout while you play. Eastway long is really good imo. I'd stay away from the web, just because that round will take you forever and you'll forget everything about it. Nevin is a pick what layout you want and get dominated type of course.

this thread only amplifies my need to finally go play charlotte courses. it's like i'm trying to hit every course in the state before the charlotte ones.

Thanks Grodney.
I'm hoping the fellas will want to do a three to four day shot of course hopping. I would like for us to see six to nine must play courses. Then with our time left we can vote on what ones we would like to hit again for a solid day or half day of play.

OH!!! How are the poison ivy and oak levels of the courses? It is rare to see that on Colorado courses.

It was mentioned to play the short layout, but i disagree there. Play the layout that sounds the most interesting to you. Renny gold, you still get to see all of the Renny black layout while you play. Eastway long is really good imo. I'd stay away from the web, just because that round will take you forever and you'll forget everything about it. Nevin is a pick what layout you want and get dominated type of course.

Of course you disagreed, cause I said it. Lol.

They mention that the players only throw 200-300 ft max. Renny Gold will not be fun nor worth the energy/time. When you are trying to fit in as many courses + nightlife you have to make sacrifices. Wasting 2 courses worth of energy and 1.5 courses worth of time on Renny gold... not worth it in my opinion. The course isn't that much different from the Gold...maybe a few scary basket locations (2 and 18) and a bunch more D. You can also see almost the entire gold layout by playing black. The only exception might be hole 4 basket and 5 tee. I think on almost every other hole you walk by the basket or tee on the way to the next hole. Why waste the energy and time? If you want to throw a shot at 2's basket, you dont need to play gold to experience the cool differences you get on Renny Gold. Just putt at #2, upshot to #18 and you get the major difference.

Same at Nevin. The course was designed in the longs. You have to walk by every long pad to get to the short (except hole 1) so you can see the entire course but play 5 strokes/1000' less.

Thanks Grodney.
I'm hoping the fellas will want to do a three to four day shot of course hopping. I would like for us to see six to nine must play courses. Then with our time left we can vote on what ones we would like to hit again for a solid day or half day of play.

OH!!! How are the poison ivy and oak levels of the courses? It is rare to see that on Colorado courses.

We will be spraying it all before worlds at least once. I helped the club get a 35 gallon sprayer that has a trailer or can be mounted in the back of a truck. It has an 8' boom and an optional hand sprayer that shoots about 30'. So we can drive back and forth getting the fairway and 4' in with the boom, and then hand select ivy to kill with the spray gun. No back pack walking!!

That should make it much easier to kill this year. Eastway is the worst, RL smith can be bad, and all the other courses have a little. You wont have a problem though, before May. Then it really starts popping.

I'm sorry to say and add to anyone's dismay; I think we will play mostly short tees. I say this on three IMO factors.

One - Our skill level. I'm not trying to say we suck but 50 to 75% of our shots are just open bomb shots. However we just got season passes for a new university course that just opened. We are very excited; almost every hole on the course has two or more trees in the fairway!!! WHOO HOO!!!

Two - Colorado courses do not have trees. Now I know allot of CO players will be mad at me for this, but here's the deal. In CO if you want a truly technical course you have to leave Denver. This means the possibility of a one to three or more hour drive. This means the guys with families must plan weekend trips.

Three - In town courses do not have allot of variety. Most courses only have one tee pad and maybe two pin positions, leaving the player with the same shot dynamic each time it's played. Secondary pin placements tend to only add distance, thus making a short open shot hole, now a long open shot hole.

BTW - Colorado players please understand, I am not bitching. I understand this is the landscape we have to work with for our sport and I am very happy to be able to play it.

Don't apologize for playing the short tees. It's not a one-size-fits-all sport. And on some of these courses, the short tees are plenty long enough.

I'll assume you'll get the PM you asked for, but in the meantime, the "secret course" is a private course not listed online, and requiring special arrangements to play. I haven't played it, but everyone I know personally who has, and whose judgement I trust, raves about it.

yeah, the "shorts" is a misnomer here in charlotte. I think renny black is a par 60, so it's still a butt whoopin. You'll have fun no matter what layout you play!

Of course you disagreed, cause I said it. Lol.

They mention that the players only throw 200-300 ft max. Renny Gold will not be fun nor worth the energy/time. When you are trying to fit in as many courses + nightlife you have to make sacrifices. Wasting 2 courses worth of energy and 1.5 courses worth of time on Renny gold... not worth it in my opinion. The course isn't that much different from the Gold...maybe a few scary basket locations (2 and 18) and a bunch more D. You can also see almost the entire gold layout by playing black. The only exception might be hole 4 basket and 5 tee. I think on almost every other hole you walk by the basket or tee on the way to the next hole. Why waste the energy and time? If you want to throw a shot at 2's basket, you dont need to play gold to experience the cool differences you get on Renny Gold. Just putt at #2, upshot to #18 and you get the major difference.

Same at Nevin. The course was designed in the longs. You have to walk by every long pad to get to the short (except hole 1) so you can see the entire course but play 5 strokes/1000' less.

I disagree with this 100%. Almost everyone in the Adv division outdrives me, but I had a blast (and scored well) playing Renny Gold and Nevin from the longs. 300' with acuracy will serve you well if you can make your putts. But I went in with a mindset of visiting Charlotte to see some of the toughest and best courses in the world. I sought out the challenges to test myself, as I imagine these guys will too.

300 ft accurate tunnel shot?!?!?!
I can tell you right now, Babe the blue ox will carry our disc bags on this trip, because we are going to go Paul Bunyan on these courses.

Even if we get our asses handed to us, we will still have a great time.
BTW - If you're out on a course and hear it, and think "God how many trees are they going to hit?"
It's probably us playing near you.

I disagree with this 100%. Almost everyone in the Adv division outdrives me, but I had a blast (and scored well) playing Renny Gold and Nevin from the longs. 300' with acuracy will serve you well if you can make your putts. But I went in with a mindset of visiting Charlotte to see some of the toughest and best courses in the world. I sought out the challenges to test myself, as I imagine these guys will too.

You disagree that it takes longer and uses more energy to play Renny Gold and Nevin Longs. That if you play the short versions you will have more time for other courses.

You disagree that Nevin was built long and flows that way and that the shorts were put in later inside that flow so you have to walk over the long tee pads to get to the shorts?

You disagree that duck butter said his groups max drives would be around 300 ft?

You disagree that you can play Renny black # 2 but then putt at #2 Gold's basket, or that you can play hole 18 black but then upshot to Gold's basket.

As far as I can tell you only disagree with the first sentence as the rest of my post was about saving them time so they could see the most courses possible.

As I see it, you disagree with at most, 7% of my post and I disagree with 9% of yours.

I disagree with being so disagreeable. Thanks for making me laugh 1978, and clearing all that up. I see your point, and I hope duckbutter can see mine too.

We are planning on the third week of May, 12th-20th. We are looking mostly to play during the week. Maybe hit Carowinds on the weekend or maybe run to the coast for a day.

So, Mr. Chain-Addicted what is with this secret course everyone is saying I need to speak with you about? IM me if you do not want to post the info.

Chain will know better than I but I think the course is question may not be available after April.

As far as a restaurant suggestion, the Tilted Kilt near Carowinds is, well, full of scantily clad chicks in little plaid skirts. The food is surprisingly not that bad and it's a pretty good place to catch a game/fight or whatever.

Mac's Speedshop by Concord Mills Mall is similar...on Tuesdays, I believe it is .10 shrimp and all the waitresses wear lingerie!!!!!

Latest posts