• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Charlotte NC Area Disc Golf Lessons

I had my one hour lesson with Henry this morning on improving my drive. The guy is a class act and a very good teacher. He was bombing Star Destroyers.

By the end of the lesson he had found two pretty big flaws in my form that immediately added about 50-75 feet to my drive. I was not keeping the disc on the same plane all the way through and the big one was I was pulling my arm down with my follow through right after I'd throw the disc.

As soon as I kept my follow through on the same plain, boom. It feels really weird as my entire disc golf career I've followed through incorrectly. But now that I can see what I'm doing with a little field time I feel really, really confident about my drive. There were a bunch of things I thought I knew about how to throw and what I was doing only to find I was misunderstanding concept and certain things. Henry explained things easily and it's changed the way I think about my game.

Oh yea and after a lesson like this I don't recommend playing a round right away. The problem was with great power comes great responsibility and apparently a lack of control. I was overthrowing holes like crazy and I cleared the entire field of trees on hole #7 at Bradford. Never did that before. It wasn't even a straight throw, it was a giant hyzer.

Then on my most hated hole, #11 I grip locked my Prodigy D4 and it was gone. Like I set off a bottle rocket. It was low and hot right over the tops of the massive jungle of cedar trees and disappeared. I have no idea how far it went but it's thick in there. I looked for 1/2 hour but no luck. I hate those disc eating trees.

Anybody thinking of taking a lesson from Henry it will help you greatly no matter your level. Highly, highly recommended.

Excellent progress yesterday, Bryan! I always love seeing people have that "AHA!" moment and achieve a breakthrough.

I'll be in Charlotte this upcoming weekend for anyone else who's looking for an epiphany. :thmbup::clap::hfive:

I broke back out my Blizzard boss today to practice some of the things I learned from Henry during our lesson. I was straight throwing bombs. 300-330 with a Volt and an Avenger but the Boss was hitting 350-375 consistently.

For over a year I've been trying to hit a line of old trailers we have out back at work that I measured off 300 feet. I threw my Boss over those jokers.

I heard you giggling when my upshot splashed in the water, so I guess I need a lesson on 190' upshot in crazy wind. You going to be in hickory for Holidays

I'll be up there for at least a few days.

I actually fell out of my cart laughing at that shot. I wish there was a video of it.

I've never seen a driver(?) get slammed right out of the air like that. Especially funny because it was directly into the middle of the pond. I hope it wasn't irreplaceable.

I'll be up there for at least a few days.

I actually fell out of my cart laughing at that shot. I wish there was a video of it.

I've never seen a driver(?) get slammed right out of the air like that. Especially funny because it was directly into the middle of the pond. I hope it wasn't irreplaceable.

It was actually a new CE Fx and I was pissed. Luckily Halton got it out. Might have you look at some release angles and reach back, hit me up

Are you interested in lessons, but still not sure? :confused:
Are you a fan of getting together with friends and putting and/or drinking beer? :thmbup:

Join me at Triple C Brewing Co. tomorrow for some good times. I'll be doing a putting clinic before the putting league begins. :hfive:

The Details:
Tuesday, Jan 7th
5:30 - Henry Childres Putting Clinic ($5)
6:00 - 9:00pm - Putting League

Triple C Brewing Co.
2900 Griffith St
Charlotte, NC 28105

$5 Random Draw Dubs
www.BetterDiscGolfer.com

Just had a lesson with Henry, almost immediately he was able to diagnose a shortcoming in my form and coached me to correct it. After playing a few more holes he also was able to offer further guidance , the out come of which has already given me additional confidence on my approach game and course management.

Henry is completely professional , while keeping it fun.

I recommend him, and look forward to working more with him in the future !

I did the putting clinic with Henry this Tuesday. He saw a few things I was doing wrong, and gave me some pointers.

Today, I went out to Eager Beaver (longs) to break in some new discs I bought (of molds I already throw, but still). I ended up tying my best round ever (-1), because I hit everything 25ft and in. Which I never do. Nothing blew by the basket.

I had enough time for a second round, where I shot -4! And I can attribute 90% of it to my tweaked putting form. Even hit a 40 footer. I was running everything from 55 feet in. Nose up! Damn it felt good.

Thanks again Henry!

Here's what's going on tonight at putting league:

Putting Instruction with Henry Childres at 5:25 - $5
"Want to sink more putts? Fix your grip? Have Charlotte's best disc golf instructor Henry Childres give you 1 on 1 feedback on your putting form.

True story. A few weeks ago at the last clinic, Henry saw one thing I was doing, made a correction (nose up) and beat my personal best at Mule Trail by 4 strokes two days later. It was well worth the $5 for the instruction. "
- Matt Cheney (Putting league TD)

Click here for details.

I'll also have 2 GStar Aviars to give away!

Last edited:
Holy crap, it's so nice outside!
The schedule is getting jam-packed with players who are soon-to-be much improved.

Now that daylight-savings time is ON(!) I am available after work during the week.

Send me a message and get your learn on.

Something Totally New:

Maybe you spend your weekends going after a win at your local course.
Maybe you have played in a tournament or two (or more).
Or maybe you just like to beat your friends senselessly on the course.

But what have you done to improve your game?

I have partnered up with Better Disc Golfer to offer video coaching.

What is video coaching?

Simple...get your buddy to set his beer down for a minute and shoot a video using the camera on your phone or a GoPro.
Send us that video and I will provide feedback on your form. It's that easy.

Click HERE to learn more or get started.

There's no better time to step up your game than today!