• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Chuckers!!

I like the definition but not the use of the term chuckers. I think chuckers are one or two levels above the band of goons in JC AceHole's definition. Here in Charlotte, one of our most popular handicapped leagues is called Chuckers. They average about 40 players every Saturday AM and maintain handicaps for well over 200 players--many now playing pro or advanced AM (including the current Pro Women's World Champ). The Charlotte Chuckers league helps transition the casual (or "goon") player into a more structured, competitive environment. Some might still be hackers.

What this tread is complaining about are the "goons" who are driven by testosterone and illegal substances (most eventually either transition from this group, lose interest, or die). As a Charlotte course director, I see a few "goons" but the course thankfully is not in the heavily trafficked social areas.

I see more families trying to learn DG. They are very receptive to suggestions on throwing techniques, what "rules" mean (I find the use of the foul line in bowling to translate to stance requirements), and the etiquette most know through ball golf.

There is no solution to avoid "goon" disc golfers just as there is no solution to avoiding similar "goons" in everyday life.

I agree 100%. I don't really care for the term "chuckers" either which is why we call them "gomers" by us. I use this term as it is one that most people are familiar with across the country.

The whole point of this thread was to hear the different terms people across the country in the DG community call them. Maybe we should settle on "goons".... It seems fitting

Trolling for a round...

I suck. I'm stuck at 280' max, I can't play well in front of others, and I love my home course, a short 18 holes built on an old auto wrecking yard. I am restless and chatty, and assume people I meet are the same. On a good day I'll stay out and throw until sundown.

I troll for rounds with dg'ers all day long. My goal is to set a tone at my course. Welcome to new friends, respect boundaries of folks who seek solitude or are on a date, etc. I strive to lead without preaching by packing out, picking up butts (I honestly try to carry a Baggie around for this), and shoveling snow off pads when I can.

I'll go for beers mid saturday at the local pub if I'm getting along we'll, and I rarely pass on offers of hospitality. But I still suck.

What d'ya call that?

I suck. I'm stuck at 280' max, I can't play well in front of others, and I love my home course, a short 18 holes built on an old auto wrecking yard. I am restless and chatty, and assume people I meet are the same. On a good day I'll stay out and throw until sundown.

I troll for rounds with dg'ers all day long. My goal is to set a tone at my course. Welcome to new friends, respect boundaries of folks who seek solitude or are on a date, etc. I strive to lead without preaching by packing out, picking up butts (I honestly try to carry a Baggie around for this), and shoveling snow off pads when I can.

I'll go for beers mid saturday at the local pub if I'm getting along we'll, and I rarely pass on offers of hospitality. But I still suck.

What d'ya call that?

I would call that "a nice guy" I wish everyone would be friendly, pick up litter and shovel pads.

What d'ya call that?

Skill has very little to do with chucker status. I've seen chuckers who can only throw 100', and chuckers who can throw 400'. If you respect the course and the other people on it, and it sounds like you certainly do, you don't have to worry about being a chucker.

I met some chuckers today that turned out to be ok guys. They saw me park some long holes and wanted to know how to throw. I showed them how to throw backhand instead of the stupid flick they were doing. Also they did not know to put all your fingers under the rim, which is another mistake almost all newbs make.

So, chuckers can be transformed into non-chuckers if they are willing to learn and they actually want to improve their game.

Reading through this thread I've learned some of you seem to spend quite a bit of time up your own asses.

That being said I usually just skip people who are annoying me, for any reason. Come back and play the hole when I've finished my round. I play a lot by myself because most of my friends are whipped beyond belief and can only play every other weekend.

Most people should respect one another all the time. But they don't, not sure why you'd expect it on the disc golf course. 16 year old kids who are there with their girlfriends or a large pack of college drunks don't give a **** that you are trying to finish a tag round. Treat them accordingly. Nice people, politely ask if you can play through or simply skip them. Trash bags, aggressively challenge them to fisticuffs then hit on their girlfriends.

Last edited:
I find that most chuckers prefer doubles, this is usually what they are playing when you see them in herd golf.

PRO D Crush

What d'ya call that?
Hey Smacka, I believe you found my old my crush disc at Interlocken. Hey we should throw sometime..My buddies and I are pretty new to the environment of disc golf and have only played Valmont once. But always love to throw with cool and good peeps. We will try to hit up the Saturday run if we can.

Latest posts