• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course Baggers

Agreed. Freakanomics Radio did a good cost/benefit analysis on them a few weeks ago and they make a ton of sense. The punchline was that Minnesotans all simultaneously yield, which inhibits the roundabout's function a bit.
But, when one Minnesotan takes the initiative to move, the other three quietly judge him ("Well...I guess he thinks he's pretty special, doesn't he?").

Now, how about an Ole and Lena joke?

If I added them up correctly, I've played 179 new courses this year in 9 states. Three new to me states. Colorado, Georgia and South Carolina. The six others are Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa, North Carolina and Missouri. That's gotta be a record for me. :cool:

Also got to play with a number of different DGCR members. @Olorin, @Tyler V, @sillybizz, @jakebake91 , @elmexdela, @playrecords, @BuiltTooLong, @notapro and @Countchunkula

And a shout out to @DavidSauls for letting me play his awesome course. (y)

If I added them up correctly, I've played 179 new courses this year in 9 states. Three new to me states. Colorado, Georgia and South Carolina. The six others are Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa, North Carolina and Missouri. That's gotta be a record for me. :cool:

Also got to play with a number of different DGCR members. @Olorin, @Tyler V, @sillybizz, @jakebake91 , @elmexdela, @playrecords, @BuiltTooLong, @notapro and @Countchunkula

And a shout out to @DavidSauls for letting me play his awesome course. (y)

New to both disc golf (in the modern era) and bagging. 13 courses so far, with 11 reviewed here, starting in late May. Got my second state last week!

36 total rounds so far. I live in Minnesota, so I'm probably close to done for the year. Would be nice to get a clean 40 in, but the weather goddesses may have something to say about that.

weather dont mean shit here most courses have pins in year round and you can easily tell the "good ones" even if not in full foliage

weather dont mean shit here most courses have pins in year round and you can easily tell the "good ones" even if not in full foliage
I did a trip 2 years ago for my first time to play in the snow, it was 14f when I teed off the first hole. Managed to play 4 courses that day.20201214_071338.jpg

Seasoned winter players consider it rude to step on snowy tee pads because it packs down the snow. Once that happens, tees ice over pretty easily, and it becomes a real pain to de-ice them with salt. 🤬

Whereas shoveling off loose snow is relatively easy.

So if you're not shoveling the snow off the tees, please tee off from the area next to the tee.
Don't pack it down for whomever is willing to shovel them... and bless that person! 👏👏👏😀

Seasoned winter players consider it rude to step on snowy tee pads because it packs down the snow. Once that happens, tees ice over pretty easily, and it becomes a real pain to de-ice them with salt. 🤬

Whereas shoveling off loose snow is relatively easy.

So if you're not shoveling the snow off the tees, please tee off from the area next to the tee.
Don't pack it down for whomever is willing to shovel them... and bless that person! 👏👏👏😀
well, as someone who is from Texas, I had no idea. I could not even drive into the park for this course as the roads were too bad. I parked off the main road and walked in. This park is out in the middle of nowhere and I don't think many people play it.

I played one in Enid OK next, that park was not as nice as far as the snow cover, it was starting to melt and people had been playing in the park already.

The other 2 courses I played that day don't get any play at all, they were both a joke even if conditions were perfect. But that area didn't have nearly as much snow as this park did.

The only other time I have ever played in the snow was last year in Springfield MO, in that case iI didn't know it was going to snow, there was about 1/2 an inch on the ground when I got to the first course. No snow on the tee pads at all.

well, as someone who is from Texas, I had no idea. I could not even drive into the park for this course as the roads were too bad. I parked off the main road and walked in. This park is out in the middle of nowhere and I don't think many people play it.

I played one in Enid OK next, that park was not as nice as far as the snow cover, it was starting to melt and people had been playing in the park already.

The other 2 courses I played that day don't get any play at all, they were both a joke even if conditions were perfect. But that area didn't have nearly as much snow as this park did.

The only other time I have ever played in the snow was last year in Springfield MO, in that case iI didn't know it was going to snow, there was about 1/2 an inch on the ground when I got to the first course. No snow on the tee pads at all.
You're forgiven. Not the sort of thing you're likely to have experienced.

As someone who grew up in FL, I never would have thought about it myself. But as a seasoned Michigander, I can tell you: icy tees are downright treacherous.

Hopefully, you're not the only one who learned something from my post.

*feels overly self-satisfied about having forgiven and educated a God*

You're all good. I was just being a smartass.

I wonder if I'm really a bagger. I try to play all the courses I can, but I typically play 36 on one course in a day to get to know it for the review, and don't go looking for more trouble elsewhere that day. Gotta be nice to the joints/muscles these days.

Ok....NOW I think I'm a bagger!

Yesterday was probably the last day of the year that we would hit 40 degrees, and the snow is overdue. Many courses locally have already taken in their baskets.

I hit four courses yesterday, and reviewed five (including one I forgot to do from June because I don't think I was on this site yet when I played there).

In my rookie season, I played 50 rounds on 20 courses. I wasn't particular about the 20, but I was definitely trying to get to 50. Who knows, maybe there will be a couple more days to get out. Everything is bonus from here on out!

That Stokely video with Ben Calhoun reminds me of course bagging back in the day with the PDGA course directory and printed maps. On one trip through the midwest I tried something new and I marked a map in grease pencil on the passenger side of my Jeep's windshield to guide me to courses around St. Louis without having to refer to my paper map as I drove around town. Worked out rather well as I recall. Those were the days! So thankful for online maps now.

My wife and I have been bagging courses, but when we do, we still like to know if we are playing well. We've found that when we use our own personal pars we can compare our performance over a wide range of courses.

Here's how we figure our par. We know how far we can throw a drive. Any hole which is up to half of the length of a drive is par 2, and we add one parlecule for every drive's worth of distance.
For holes on the borderline, use the higher par if anything about the hole reduces how far you can throw.

It's been working so well I decided to check it against a lot of hole scores. Checks out OK. http://www.stevewestdiscgolf.com/A_Simple_Way_to_Figure_Out_Your_Personal_Par.pdf

Latest posts