• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

courses in the St. Louis Area... safety?

maestro1313

I'm not trying to be a 'downer', but I've disc golfed long enough to know that often times, disc golf courses can get 'stuck' in areas of towns that are less then 'perfect', due to wanting traffic in an area or it just happens to be available space.
That being said, when it was just my wife and I, have a rather open policy that we can make about whatever work, unless a police officer tells us to 'find another course'... Which one of KC's finest did once. ;)
Anyway, just wondering if anyone can tell a couple of 'nice' courses in the St. Louis area (or North West of there) that we should play, but can feel safe taking my 2 young daughters?
Again, not sure I would even ask this question if it wasn't for the girls... or if I knew the area a little better.
Not trying to offend anyone, just want a good experience.
Thanks in advance.

I can't really think of any courses in the Stlouis area I would really consider in a "bad" part of town. The only one to maybe avoid would be White birch park. Last time I was there was ALOT of graffiti covering everything and the kids may see some foul language ect.

I am guessing we all have our own definitions of "safe" and individual opinions on what might consitute "unsafe". I would say the best thing to do is pre scout your local courses and make the call yourself. Good luck and I hope you find someplace to take the family and "grow the sport".

Your profile indicates you have been playing disc golf for a month. :confused:

IMO, there is almost no such thing as "unsafe". you project yourself on the world, your perception IS reality - do your thing and don't bother anyone else and you should be fine... to satisfy your fears/anxiety, keep that phone on 911 speed dial. always tell your loved ones/friends your plans so they can know where you are and your timeframe, just in case.

I'm always curious when people say "unsafe" or "bad neighborhood" if they actually mean "black part of town" or not. I can't tell you how many courses I've been told were dangerous or unsafe to play in, and when I went it turned out it was just a black middle class neighborhood with nothing to worry about.

I'm always curious when people say "unsafe" or "bad neighborhood" if they actually mean "black part of town" or not. I can't tell you how many courses I've been told were dangerous or unsafe to play in, and when I went it turned out it was just a black middle class neighborhood with nothing to worry about.

Sadly, that was what I was driving at below. This is not the place for the potential comtemptous conversation around this idea, but...whatever ones concerns may be, they should go make their own decisions.

I'm always curious when people say "unsafe" or "bad neighborhood" if they actually mean "black part of town" or not.

That's pretty much what is ALWAYS meant. So for the OP, if that's your concern, you'll want to avoid the Ferguson course.

You should check out Quail Ridge or Fort Zumwalt in St Charles county as they are in parks that have Ranger patrol and also playgrounds for the kids.

I've played most of the St. Louis courses, including Ferguson a couple of weeks ago. I don't know the neighborhoods, but I've never felt unsafe in any of the courses.

When I'm taking girls (or any other non-hard-core disc golfer) I go in the morning. It's less intimidating when there are not a lot of big arms around.

If you're that concerned, get a conceal and carry license. Missouri is a reciprocating state and will recognize a CHL from any other state.

Going through life afraid will attract predators. Learn to fear not.

cuz guns are always the answer ;) (joke)

But I really enjoyed the course at Jefferson Barracks as well as the Quail

If you're that concerned, get a conceal and carry license. Missouri is a reciprocating state and will recognize a CHL from any other state.

Funny....gun toting people are the one thing I am afraid of.

riiiiight. #killthesport

Obviously lost here is that the O.P. clearly said he's not concerned if it's himself....or he and his wife....but has a higher threshold when taking his young daughters. With small children, it's not enough to say you'll fall back on 911, or your concealed weapon, or your attitude.

I can't offer any help to the OP because I've never played disc golf in St. Louis, but the scouting suggestion is probably a good idea. If you don't feel safe at a course, I'd imagine it wouldn't be a good idea to bring your kids there. Also, definitely go play during the day, preferably the middle of the day to early afternoon.

I can't offer any help to the OP because I've never played disc golf in St. Louis, but the scouting suggestion is probably a good idea. If you don't feel safe at a course, I'd imagine it wouldn't be a good idea to bring your kids there. Also, definitely go play during the day, preferably the middle of the day to early afternoon.

Crime is committed a majority of the time between 9 AM and 3 PM. Juvenile delinquence is most common from 3-5 PM.

I'm local. I have 4 boys(from age 2 up) whom I've taken out with me a million times. I understand what you're asking. I've never had an issue. Not ever. My recommendations are willmore, quail ridge fort zumwalt woodland paul schroeder

I take my daughters golfing in St. Louis, so I know exactly what the O.P. is saying. The only course I actively avoid while playing with my kids is White Birch. White Birch is packed with one disc wonders cursing loudly while carrying a 12-pack of Busch and has a couple of "smoke stop" hidden tees. If you hit White Birch after 2:00pm, you WILL encounter what you are hoping to avoid at White Birch.

Unfortunately White Birch otherwise would be the perfect place to take kids becasue it's a pitch 'n putt. :(

Some of the other courses are really too long and hard for kids to play, but I didn't get the sense that the kids were playing. If I was wrong about that, when my kids were younger Schroeder Park in Manchester, Watson Trail in Sunset Hills and Kircher Park in Eureka were a few nine's that worked for that.

Totally overlooked a lot of times is Woodland in Collinsville, IL. Maybe becasue it is in Illinois? Maybe it is too far out? Anyway, easy to get to from 55 and has really good variety from tee to tee. Kinda hard to navigate the first time, but it was always good golf that could hit a variety of skill levels. You never hear about it, though. I have not been there in almost a decade. Is Woodland still in good shape?

Obviously lost here is that the O.P. clearly said he's not concerned if it's himself....or he and his wife....but has a higher threshold when taking his young daughters. With small children, it's not enough to say you'll fall back on 911, or your concealed weapon, or your attitude.

Thank you for a logical and reasonable post. I always wonder about the agenda of people who immediately assume that when people say "bad part of town" they mean "black part of town". In my mind, those people are as guilty of racism as the people they're calling out.

The simple and easy solution for an out-of-towner would be to check the on-line crime statistics and compare those to course locations. Most major metro areas have those statistics readily available online. Here in my town those steps would lead you away from two courses, the OSU campus course and Community Park in Whitehall. OSU is one of the most diverse areas of town, not only racially, but in just about every other way. Many of the crimes in the area are crimes against property, as opposed to people, but it's still a higher crime area due to (imho) population density and opportunity as opposed to the racial makeup. The other course you'd steer away from based on those reports is in a suburb that (according to the 2010 census) is 59% white and 30% black, so hardly a "black" part of town. However, it is a ROUGH part of town, and certainly not the course I'd want any out of town guest to judge the Columbus disc golf scene on.

I really wish we, as a society, could get away from this habit of getting offended for others, and immediately playing the race card. In the end, it does more to separate us than bring us together.

Latest posts