• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cross Country Trip. Utah to New York

RocCityDiscer

I need some recommendations on where to stop and play.
I am headed back to Rochester, NY from Santa Fe, NM. I have already made plans to make my way to Moab, UT to see Arches Nat'l Park and play a sick looking course at Base Camp Adventure lodge near Moab, UT.
So the rest of my route would be I-70 to Denver. I-76 into Nebraska to I-80 across NE, Iowa, Northern Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio. Definitely willing to deviate from I-70 in Colorado I want to stop the most in CO.
Anything near Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park or other good combos of sight seeing (for my girlfriend) and Disc golf courses (for me) ?

Base Camp is an excellent choice. You might want to allow for almost a full day there.... it can take up to 1 1/2 - 2 hours to get down to the lodge on the dirt road (18 miles), especially if you take your time and snap some pictures. They have made vast improvements to the road where you don't really need a 4x4...unless it rains (which is rare). Base Camp is the most unique and memorable course I've ever played.... you'll want to empty your bag on quite a few of the holes. Enjoy!!! :D

Make time for Iowa courses!

Along I-80, you must stop in Iowa City area and play either Sugarbottom, Turkey Creek or the Pennisula or all three! Absolutely love these courses. I have only played a few in Des Monies area, so can't give any recommendations there. Quad City area has some nice ones as well. I will be driving back from Iowa City to Pheonix in Sept and will be following this thread closely as well since I will travel much the same route as you.

If you are coming across 80 in Illinois there are a few courses in Joliet, IL.

West Park is supposed to be one of 'the' places to go.

When in CO hit Beaver Ranch (a must) Phantom Falls and or Ghosttown. Red Rocks is also a fun course close to your route that has some beautiful views of the foothills

Well, if you're rolling on I-70 through the Colorado mountains, you'll be right in my neighborhood.

I highly recommend (and could guide you at) CMC Glenwood Springs, Beaver Creek Resort, Adventure Ridge at Vail Mountain and (slight detour off of I-70) CMC Leadville.

Another decent course right off the highway is Frisco Peninsula Rec Area.

Do NOT miss playing some of these mountain courses. Let me know if you plan on stopping at any of them.

Edit: The views (sightseeing) at all of these courses is AMAZING!

Last edited:
Beaver Ranch is a must if you're taking this route. Rated top 3 in the country on this site. Don't miss out on this, and possibly phantom falls if you can dedicate a day to it.

What kind of courses do you like? Big arm, short technical, etc...? I could suggest several in CO depending on what you're looking for.