• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Cycling Fairway Drivers - What Mold?

DiscinFiend

* Ace Member *
I currently cycle Rocs & Destroyers, since I like cycling those molds I decided to cycle Fairway Drivers also. I want to carry only three Fairway Drivers (not including my Firebird) so my bag has the same number of discs in it as it does now. I searched & couldn't find any other threads on this topic. I currently carry a (Flat Top) Champ Firebird, just thought I'd add that because some people considered it a Fairway Driver. So what mold & in what plastic should I get for for cycling Fairway Drivers?

now, to be honest, i don't have a ton of experience cycling . . . but i'd say it'd be hard to go wrong with a pinnacle rival and two icon rivals, one beat and one fresh.

i used to have a pinnacle rival that was too beefy for my taste. this is more in keeping with pinnacle plastic in general.

however . . . i got my eyes on some beautiful plastic the other day and had to buy it.

i bought a super gummy FR pinnacle that, by all accounts from several people i've talked to, acts more like an icon. i haven't thrown an icon, so forgive me. for me it's dead straight, out to 350, and then it will fade a little. i imagine if you were to get a heavy pinnacle for wind and a fresh icon for straight, then a beat icon for turnovers/hyzerflips, you'd have a decent cycle going.

take it with a grain of salt; just an idea from a guy with new discs who hasn't done it.

oh, and by dead straight i mean 0 turn, not "hey it ends up back in front of me". this thing is a laser.

I too like the rival cycling so far, been using it about ~6-7 months. But take my words with a grain of salt..

I use a fr pinnacle rival, pearly plastic flat stiff run. I have two fr icon rivals, also stiff and flat ones. One beatup and one fresh. I use these for a majority of my shots.

DX Eagles. They're awesome.

I believe taking an DX Eagle through it's complete life cycle is one of the best learning experiences in disc golf.

You are going to get A LOT of people saying that teebirds are the best fairway to cycle. I believe this to be true if you want only one fairway. But...in my personal experience and belief, in order to truly cover the full fairway slot, two cycled molds are better than one. For example I like to have teebirds and rivers. The reason I feel two molds are needed in the fairway slot is that there is generally a bigger variety of lines to be hit with fairways. I say pick 2 fairways, one overstable and one stable with great glide, and then beat those two molds in to cover everything.

Full disclosure I don't/haven't done this but there seem to be a lot of people on the forums that cycle pds, especially since they come in pro, star, and champ. If you consider the firebird to be a fairway (I do) its the same rim on the pd.

DX Eagles. They're awesome.

I believe taking an DX Eagle through it's complete life cycle is one of the best learning experiences in disc golf.

Agree totally....Turns into such a nice, sweeping turnover disc. If you have one champ, and a few DX's you're pretty set.

I'm working on cycling 165-169 champ teebirds. Your heavier ones are rarely gonna cycle to turnover but the lighter ones start out with a soft fade then cycle to straight and eventually to a nice slow turnover. If you don't mind base plastic I would cycle dx eagles or teebirds for a much quicker process.

I am also using rivals... Legend, icon, and excel. I also carry a xxx and a light icon patriot for nice hyzer flips, but that excel rival may take the place of the patriot

I am also using rivals... Legend, icon, and excel. I also carry a xxx and a light icon patriot for nice hyzer flips, but that excel rival may take the place of the patriot

How quickly do the excel rivals go to straight or turnover? Excel has always seemed a bit tougher than DX, just curious.

I've been using PDs and FDs for most of the year almost exclusively. The PD shares the same rim as the Firebird, so it feels very similar. I use the PDs for more powerful hyzers, straights, and hyzerflips, while the FD covers touch and finesse. Our situation differs in that I carry 3 of each, but I will add that I sometimes just use my 3 FDs, a beefy C-line, a newish S-line, and a beaten S-line. PDs will work for that too, but we all know that by now.

Try Cyclones. I don't think you'll be disappointed. They're very straight flyers and come in a couple plastics. DGA's RDGA 150 Flathead Cyclones are straight also (a surprise to me) and it's come in very handy to have a beatable fairway in 150. Also, they're beaded, which I believe will make them stay in the "sweet spot" longer. Plus, they'll feel more like Rocs in the hand.

Try Cyclones. I don't think you'll be disappointed. They're very straight flyers and come in a couple plastics. DGA's RDGA 150 Flathead Cyclones are straight also (a surprise to me) and it's come in very handy to have a beatable fairway in 150. Also, they're beaded, which I believe will make them stay in the "sweet spot" longer. Plus, they'll feel more like Rocs in the hand.

Only problem with Cyclones is that they're crap in the wind (unless you find an OOP in Z: from what I've heard, those things are meathooks), so if you're sticking to one mold, you'll be pretty screwed on windy days.

Cyclone is a solid mold, ages very well in X plastic, and does indeed feel like a fairway version of a Roc. The wind issue soured me on them, though.

How quickly do the excel rivals go to straight or turnover? Excel has always seemed a bit tougher than DX, just curious.

I've had it in the bag for a week and it's gone from pinnacle flight to icon flight. Doesn't seem to have the glide of the icon though. And it has seen an abnormal amount of wear with some of the courses I played last week

Latest posts