• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Definitive shoe thread

Merrell, New Balance, and Keen all seem to be getting a lot of props on this thread. I endorse those three brands wholeheartedly, especially Keens, which run wide, and New Balance, which goes the extra mile with width selection. Right now I'm wearing a pair of Merrell Moab Venilators (yes me too), and although the tongues are on the thick side and rub my instep from time to time, they're otherwise very comfortable, seem to be quite durable, and it has been a total pleasure to play DG in them. I got 'em at REI for $85, and I think the Gore-Tex model runs about $20 more. In wet weather I'll wear my Gore-Tex hiking boots.

Actually only $10 more from what I've seen.

Yeah New Balance were great until I'd shred through the inner heel's of them. Plus the two pairs I did that to had a plastic heel cup thing that if bent or cracked or whatever would poke into me. My new Merrell Moab Gore-tex XCR's feel so solid. And now feel pretty nice, it's not crazily epic compared to my old NB, but they feel good and hopefully last long(seem to have more padding in the heel too).

Last edited:
I want to buy the Milos but I really need to try them on first. At that price it is almost like marrying a virgin.

I want to buy the Milos but I really need to try them on first. At that price it is almost like marrying a virgin.

I'd never buy a pair of shoes without trying them on first. That would be asking for trouble. As for marrying virgins, they're clean and if you're truly in love I'm sure there won't be a problem.

Had to return a 4 month old pair of Merrell Moabs today. Had a little piece of the sole on my left foot instep coming loose. Same problem I had with some Keens. Must be my footwork sucks. No shock there. I picked up a pair of damn pricey Vasques. We'll see how they work I guess. Sole is all one price so I should have better luck. Gotta love REI. No questions asked. If you're a member you don't even need the receipt.

I've got a pair of these and they have been okay except that the part of the inside of the shoe that your foot sits on came loose in both shoes after about a month and I constantly have to adjust them before I put my shoe on. Then they slide around during use and make my heel hurt. I don't wear them much anymore.

I have the gore-tex Merrell Moabs, and they are fantastic. My first pair lasted me 2 years and right around 850 rounds of disc golf, along with about 350 miles of trail hiking. They're no longer waterproof, as I wore through them in a couple places, but they're still quite comfortable so I wear them on dry days. I have a new pair with about 175 rounds on them, and they're in almost perfect shape and still waterproof. The vibram soles on them hold up extremely well, even on concrete pads, the old pair still has plenty of grip and traction. I would agree with others who have said they feel a bit clunky, but I think they are less clunky than any of the Keens I have tried, and have better flexibility in the sole.

I have a pair of Northface Hedgehogs GTX for discing. They are light weight, goretex, and comfortable. I went through my first pair in about 9 months. The inside part of the right shoe by my toe started to tear a hole. Northface replaced them free of charge for me. All I had to do was pay to ship the shoes back...like $9. They sent me a brand new pair and I am working on those now. They are a solid disc golf shoe with Vibram soles. Even the Vibram soles wear down with lots of use after a few months, but I can't imagine a disc golf shoe holding up much better than these have.

I bought a pair of goretex Merril Moabs and they started to fall apart much more quickly than the hedgehogs. I don't know yet if Merril will replace them like Northface did. We'll see.

Out of those two, my endorsement goes to the Hedgehogs.

I played in my trusty pair of Keen Targee II Mids most of the fall, spring, and summer, until the sole started to peal off and the water proofing wore out. I then picked up a pair of quick draining Merrills from the discount section of the local store (they must be OOP, because they are not listed on their website). The were very light weight and low cut shoes. I loved them, but I started playing in the Keens once fall came on and I wanted to keep my feet warm.

Anyways, do most of you prefer low top shoes? From what most of you recommended, it appears so. Is there any specific reason for low tops over mids or is that just what a coincidence that you've all just bought the low tops?

Yes I prefer lows. I aslo prefer non goretex but will get one for winter. I like light breathable shoes but if I need warmth or protection i will use what's needed.
I have many dg shoes but I only buy em on sale. I figure I'm not ever quitting dg, and my foots not gonna grow so I mind as well rotate a few pairs for specific needs instead of finding the best all around pair.

I got a pair of North Face Goretex shoes and the sole started coming off in a few weeks. I played with them anyway though, too lazy to send them back I guess. Anyway I purchased a pair of Keen Targhee 2 low tops and they seem to have too much traction. When I transfer my weight and go to pivot the shoes are gripping so well that it is hard to spin on my right foot. This puts a lot more impact on my knee and after a round my right knee is hurting. Does anyone else find that some of these hiking shoes that have cleat like soles just don't work out well for discing? I am thinking the trail running/cross training shoes will fit the bill for me better.

I've got a pair of these and they have been okay except that the part of the inside of the shoe that your foot sits on came loose in both shoes after about a month and I constantly have to adjust them before I put my shoe on. Then they slide around during use and make my heel hurt. I don't wear them much anymore.

If you mean the "air cushion" insole they are supposed to be able to be removed...

On another note Yesterday it was raining really hard and I underestimated this large puddle that during rain before(outside my friend's apartment) has never been this large. I splashed right in the water and quickly brought my foot out then I think ended up in another smaller puddle and my feet were dry! Felt colder in the foot, but that's all really.(Yes was sporting the Merrel Moab Gore-tex XCR's)

Last edited:
I got a pair of North Face Goretex shoes and the sole started coming off in a few weeks. I played with them anyway though, too lazy to send them back I guess. Anyway I purchased a pair of Keen Targhee 2 low tops and they seem to have too much traction. When I transfer my weight and go to pivot the shoes are gripping so well that it is hard to spin on my right foot. This puts a lot more impact on my knee and after a round my right knee is hurting. Does anyone else find that some of these hiking shoes that have cleat like soles just don't work out well for discing? I am thinking the trail running/cross training shoes will fit the bill for me better.

I thought that when i saw those n.face. The merrell chameleon line prides itself on being lightweight and for those changing terrain. New balance has a new athletic shoe that's vibram and goretex.

I have a pair of Northface Hedgehogs GTX for discing. They are light weight, goretex, and comfortable. I went through my first pair in about 9 months. The inside part of the right shoe by my toe started to tear a hole. Northface replaced them free of charge for me. All I had to do was pay to ship the shoes back...like $9. They sent me a brand new pair and I am working on those now. They are a solid disc golf shoe with Vibram soles. Even the Vibram soles wear down with lots of use after a few months, but I can't imagine a disc golf shoe holding up much better than these have.

I bought a pair of goretex Merril Moabs and they started to fall apart much more quickly than the hedgehogs. I don't know yet if Merril will replace them like Northface did. We'll see.

Out of those two, my endorsement goes to the Hedgehogs.

How often do you play? For the money you are paying for those shows, they seem to wear out pretty fast. I mean they are bad ass looking shoes, but for that kind of money, they better last me a while.

I've been hitting pretty wet courses this week up in the pacific northwest and I've been using my Wolverine hiking boots. The've gotten pretty soaked and muddied but I've remained clean and dry on the inside.