• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Destroyer Vs. Boss

SpringDgLover

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
In a battle between Innova's two fastest overstable discs, The Boss and Destroyer which one wins? I personally have only used Boss's but a lot of my tourney buddies play with Destroyers. I've heard the Destroyer is better in the wind and the Boss may not be the best disc for beginners but dang does it go. I will throw my chips in with the Boss, but I'm actually making this thread to see what the differences are more then anything. So bring on the opinions, gripes, applause and let the battle begin. PS: Eric could you set up a poll on this.

My Beat in destroyer is the straightest and longest disc I've got in my bag. It flies so straight for soooo long. If I really gun it, it will flip slightly then come back for a nice S curve. The boss I can't get to turn over at all. All it ever wants to do is just bomb to the ground. Definitely the destroyer, hands down.

I haven't thrown any boss but a 164g r-pro, so that's what my comparison is based on. The destroyer is way more stable, a little more predictable, and definitely slower.

Can't say to much on the destroyer but I really love my Boss. My first time opening up on it on full open ground I got just over 400 feet the other day. Takes off fast and keeps flying hard!

i like both and have several of each...destroyer has been my go-to, but now that i've recently picked up a star boss, i kind of like it as much...as you said the destroyer is a little better with a headwind, but both are overstable, which i like...

i'd say the boss is more overstable than the destroyer at higher weights.

i've noticed the opposite actually...

i like both and have several of each...destroyer has been my go-to, but now that i've recently picked up a star boss, i kind of like it as much...as you said the destroyer is a little better with a headwind, but both are overstable, which i like...

i've noticed the opposite actually...

You must have a good boss then... I have a 175 boss and 175 Destroyer. I flip my destroyer, and the boss will not even go straight. Maybe if I beat it against some trees a few thousand times it will go slightly more understable.

My groove is just slightly less overstable.

Technically aren't Innova's two fastest rated drivers the Boss and the Groove? I believe the Destroyer is rated 1 speed lower and is classed with the XCaliber...while th best of them all in my opinion, the TeeRex and Wraith are a class below that...

All that being said though, I like the Destroyer better than the Boss...the Boss just turns over too fast on me...maybe mine is just too heavy for me...

You must have a good boss then... I have a 175 boss and 175 Destroyer. I flip my destroyer, and the boss will not even go straight. Maybe if I beat it against some trees a few thousand times it will go slightly more understable.

My groove is just slightly less overstable.

I can't say this is true for a Boss because I've only thrown one once, but the Groove shouldn't be that overstable - nowhere near a Destroyer either. You really have to put some serious spin on it to get the flight right though. It took me a while to get the hang of it but can definitely say it's not overstable (the Groove, that is). I throw light weights too (why I chose the Groove over the Boss), so maybe a lighter Boss would help curb some of the serious fade you're getting.

Just thinking about it, I've heard several of the locals near me say that they have gotten both super overstable and practically understable Bosses from the same stack on the same day. I think the super overstable ones are pretty rare, so maybe you just got lucky with it.

Technically aren't Innova's two fastest rated drivers the Boss and the Groove? I believe the Destroyer is rated 1 speed lower and is classed with the XCaliber...while th best of them all in my opinion, the TeeRex and Wraith are a class below that...

Yeah but the Groove is a little more understable so I didnt include it. Plus in my convesations with other players, its usually between the Boss and Destroyer for a long range overstable driver. I would compare a Groove more to a faster Wraith.

In my experience the Boss is very overstable in Champion but a little less overstable in Star and even more understable in R Pro. I think that this conversation has brought up one interesting point about the Boss. It seems that its mold is very inconsistent.

I own both but I don't think that I have given the Boss a fair chance yet. I am so confident with my Destroyer I am hesitant to throw anything else sometimes. Right now my vote is for the Destroyer but that could change, who knows?

The Boss is a little too fast for me, but i've only thrown one a few times, and it was brand new. I have 2 destroyers, and I have had one other and I've loved all of them. Just straight and long, with some fade at the end. The Boss was a lot like this too, but if i didn't get everything into the Boss it would fade off far too soon. The Destroyer is a little less forgiving.

If someone is throwing a groove/boss/destroyer and they all act overstable on you then you are throwing incorrecty or drivers with too high of speed rating... im beaing to lazy to quote

I use a Destroyer and a Groove.The destroyer just feels better coming off of my finger sidearm, and the Groove feels better in my hand backhand. My buddy has a Boss and wants a lighter one and has quit using his Destroyer. I just don't seem to like his Boss at all, and he doesn't like the Destroyer. As far ast overstable/understable goes, I thought the Boss was supposed to be more overstable, then the Destroyer, and the Groove the more understable of the three.

In my experience the Boss is very overstable in Champion but a little less overstable in Star and even more understable in R Pro. I think that this conversation has brought up one interesting point about the Boss. It seems that its mold is very inconsistent.

Yet another inconsistent mold from Innova? Who'd have thought it?

Latest posts