• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DFW disc golf

hot damn @Pizza God thanks for sharing your knowledge, makes me want to revisit Texas :)
He already has played most of the best of the best in DFW on his last trip down here when we got to play a round (and a half) together (I had to bail as I had to be somewhere else)

BTW, your getting close to 1000, when you get there, do a DFW trip and I will buy you a pizza. I have that deal with anyone who has played more than 1000 courses. Sillybizz brought a friend with him who qualified and they got a pizza when down here.

Don't temp me, it doesn't take much

Must Plays for this time around

Dino Hills out in Glen Rose - 3 courses on site (one is a par 2 course) P2P and worth every penny
Trophy Club - Small gate fee but one of the better courses in the DFW area
Towne Lake in McKinney - one of my personal favorites.
The Woods @ Trinity - McKinney This is a mix, I love the wooded side, but it has some wide open hole where the lakes come into play. In the gold layout, this course is killer

Can't go wrong with any of these
Saddle Hills - White Settlement - This course has it all, just don't try to play if it has been raining.
Bicentennial - Crowley - ever seen the WTF Richard video, well that was on hole 1.
Crossroads of Life - Duncanville - One of the better church courses I have ever played.
Turner Park - Grand Prairie - One of the only courses with lots of elevation coming into play. This course's days are numbered. The course is not in the master plan but the local guy is trying to work with the city to save the course. We don't have a timeline, so the course stays in till they upgrade the park.
The Jaranator - Lancaster - This is a private course that is hard to get on. You would have to contact Matt Jara and see if the course is going to be open anytime you are around. He has been known to open for out of town players before. Matt designed Roadrunner at The Hideaway and the course at Cedar Valley in Lancaster too.
Fritz Park - Irving - This is the 2nd oldest course in Texas still in use (Behind Bart in Austin) It's been redesigned to 18 holes, but a couple of the OG holes are still in play.
Bill Allen Memorial - The Colony - This course is not too bad. It has some pretty challenging holes and one that Brodie Smith has used in some of his video's.

Other decent courses that are all ok.
Northlake - Denton - 2 courses on site. I like Lakeside better than Creekside.
Arcadia - Fort Worth - typical park style course (I admit I hardly remember playing this years ago)
North Park - Haltom City - near Ideal Discs, this is a very popular park style course that is well maintained.
Weatherford - Weatherford - Kind of outside of town, but worth the drive. It's more park like type of course.
Bailey Lake - Burleson - This course is decent, 1/2 in a park like setting, then a few holes next to the lake where you can loose your discs.
Grandbury City - Grandbury - Park style course with 21 holes. it's not bad but nothing to write home about.
Jimmy Porter - Carrollton - Course right behind my store. it's a very popular course. Add across the paths OB and across creek ob and this course is tough. A few of the holes now have 2 pin placements.
Greenbelt - Carrollton - Ok, this is like the 4th or 5th oldest course in Texas, however it has gone though several changes. This is my OG home course. It's a mix of the Original A course and B course mixed with some changes when my son re installed the course when the city redid the creek. (Eagle Scout Project)
LL Woods - Lewisville - Another old school course. Park setting with a cemented in creek. For tournament play, most of the holes are played creek and across OB and sidewalk and across OB. This is the one we passed driving from Heritage to the Lake (Old man course)
Jack Culverhouse - Princeton - This course is pretty far from Dallas, it's drive to McKenney and take a right. It's on the grounds of the WWII interment Camp.
BB Owens - Dallas - The OG baskets for this course came from the 1st public course in Texas. We installed BB Owens in a crack park. Seriously, you had to watch your step for needles when we first installed the course. No one but homeless and crack heads used the park. After Disc Golf was started, not only did WE clean up the park, but the homeless moved on, so did the crackheads and other park users started coming out. The Basketball course even started getting used again. Tree Love Disc Golf Shop is across the street and has installed a few extra holes.
Paschall park - Mesquite - Typical Park setting course that has a few good holes.

Ok, there are several more I didn't list, most are little 9 hole course or 18 hole courses that are not very good. Or just courses in bad to unplayable shape. Those are ones you do to fill in the gaps for course bagging.
Sillybizz:

Don't disagree significantly with this, but I would add a few:
-- Gateway near downtown Fort Worth. 30 holes. Mostly shorter woods holes but there are some open and longer holes. Water in play on several holes.
-- Founders Park near downtown Dallas. It's only 11 holes and really short (one hole longer than 300 feet), but it's a blast to play. For my old-man arm, this course is a great fit.
-- Ash Creek in Azle. It's on the western edge of the Metroplex, but it you're heading that way (Weatherford), this is worth a visit.
-- Dash's Track. Not that highly rated, but it's a really fun short course with lots of tight lines in the woods.
-- Shawnee Park. Redesign a few years ago significantly improved this course. Mostly open park-style course.
-- Ennis. South of Dallas. Another course where a recent redesign has apparently made a big difference. Lots of woods and decent elevation. Water in play on several holes.

I've reviewed all of these (and all but Jaranator and Towne Lake on the list from Pizza God), so you can read more about my thoughts if you care to. Having played numerous rounds together, that might give you a better sense of which of these courses you would enjoy the most.

Last edited:
I forgot to include Gateway, I meant to put that in the top section.

I left Founders out because it's a pitch and putt

Left Azle out because I didn't care for it.

Dash's Track is another pitch and putt

Shawnee, probably should have included that one in the middle section. Other than being one of the most dangerous courses in DFW, it does have a few good holes on it.

Ennis, I was not aware this one got redesigned. I played it soon after it was installed and it was horrible except for a couple of holes. (not a fan of 200ft holes that you can't get a 2 on) I will have to look into this one again, maybe make a little trip down there.

He already has played most of the best of the best in DFW on his last trip down here when we got to play a round (and a half) together (I had to bail as I had to be somewhere else)

BTW, your getting close to 1000, when you get there, do a DFW trip and I will buy you a pizza. I have that deal with anyone who has played more than 1000 courses. Sillybizz brought a friend with him who qualified and they got a pizza when down here.
Which courses were the best of the best? Guessing that he played Lester Lorch, Z Boaz and Veteran's Park. Very good parks, but not sure I would call them the very best.

Which courses were the best of the best? Guessing that he played Lester Lorch, Z Boaz and Veteran's Park. Very good parks, but not sure I would call them the very best.

Best of the best. A lot of that depends on what kind of courses you like.

Best as in hardest/most challenging courses
ZBoaz - this course kicks my butt
I have not played the "Gold" layout at The Woods @ Trinity, but I heard it's tough. The regular course is pretty good
Harry Myers 2.0 in the Gold Layout
The Hideaway Roadrunner course.

As far as my personal favorites

Trophy Club
Towne Lake
Crossroads of Life - I have not played this one in a long time, I really enjoyed it when it first went in and drove all the way from Carrollton to play it a few times.
Lester Lorch - Nothing like playing 36 holes on disc golf in one round.

I really appreciate the suggestions! It's gonna be hard to only bag courses as I want to play a few of the courses I played last time again!

I don't have 1000 courses (yet) but I'm coming to get some pizza regardless :)

I really appreciate the suggestions! It's gonna be hard to only bag courses as I want to play a few of the courses I played last time again!

I don't have 1000 courses (yet) but I'm coming to get some pizza regardless :)
How can you play a course you have played before when there are SO many courses you have not played yet nearby?

I don't understand that concept (says the guy who played 301 courses last year and only one of them had he ever played before)

How can you play a course you have played before when there are SO many courses you have not played yet nearby?

I don't understand that concept (says the guy who played 301 courses last year and only one of them had he ever played before)

I guess I want to have my pizza and eat it too ! :p Pizza>cake

BB Owens - Dallas - The OG baskets for this course came from the 1st public course in Texas. We installed BB Owens in a crack park. Seriously, you had to watch your step for needles when we first installed the course. No one but homeless and crack heads used the park. After Disc Golf was started, not only did WE clean up the park, but the homeless moved on, so did the crackheads and other park users started coming out. The Basketball course even started getting used again. Tree Love Disc Golf Shop is across the street and has installed a few extra holes.

ahahahahahahaahahahahaha

such truth. tim reim cut the fairways with his jeep. the weeds were over your head high on the backside 11 - 15. rats would eat on lost frisbees. it was sad leaving skyline but BB is a pretty good ol course. and Tree Love has really helped it out.