• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DFW disc golf

Have fun! I think it's still worth going to make your own assessment., and it's a fun course if you can just go play golf.
If you have a sucky ball or other extendable retriever, bring it for 14. I said 15, but it's 14.
15 is a fun little 175' forehand hole.

Did you really go to McKinney Texas and play Alex Clark instead of Towne Lake across the street?
I missed a bunch of good courses while I was there and plan to go back. I played all over five different states in a span of like 2-3 weeks that included drive time totaling more than 50 hours. Since I had never been to the area, I really didn't know. After Alex Clark we played like 6 courses that day till we called it on lack of light. Just happened the way it did, too many courses so bound to miss a few here and there.

Well, Alex Clark is one of if not the most popular course according to UDisc. it's always crowded.
Next time in town, Got to hit Town Lake, it's my personal favorite although I have not played it in a few years.

It's an early Mike Brown course before he moved to Shreveport area and became the designer of all the Louisiana State Parks. (and man, he just announced another one)

I missed a bunch of good courses while I was there and plan to go back. I played all over five different states in a span of like 2-3 weeks that included drive time totaling more than 50 hours. Since I had never been to the area, I really didn't know. After Alex Clark we played like 6 courses that day till we called it on lack of light. Just happened the way it did, too many courses so bound to miss a few here and there.
It's all good, it's just that Towne Lake is a lot better of a course, and you were right there. All I can think of is that Indiana Jones meme of the old knight preceeding over them choosing the holy grail chalice "You sir have chosen.....poorly"

I give Alex Clark a 3.2 and Towne Lake a solid 4.0 and I don't give out 4s easily. A bunch of great memories there in my earlier days!!!! In my more wayward youth I was crazy enough to climb down into that ravine a bunch of times to fetch a disc out and I remember the water was fast and high too! Wouldn't risk that again that's for sure.

I ran into Eric McCabe and Paige Pierce at Alex Clark one time and this was when Eric was the current world champ and Paige was 0x, so we are talking 2010 or 2011ish. They were in a huge group I played through, I'd imagine there was probably a bunch of pros in there but they were the two I recognized. Time flies wow.

Last edited:
@Nick Pacific Played a tournament at Alex Clark once (might have been before it was called Alex Clark) and Barry Wayne Pierce was on my card. Paige was his caddie and was jumping into the creek to get discs for us.

So now I can say the 5X world champ once jumped in a creek to get my disc. Of course she was like 12 at the time :cool:

@Nick Pacific Played a tournament at Alex Clark once (might have been before it was called Alex Clark) and Barry Wayne Pierce was on my card. Paige was his caddie and was jumping into the creek to get discs for us.

So now I can say the 5X world champ once jumped in a creek to get my disc. Of course she was like 12 at the time :cool:
Hah, that is great. The Pierce family is from Plano I'm pretty sure, so Alex Clark/Towne Lake was probably their home course for most of those years, I don't think Plano ever got a course inside city limits until more recent times. I can't trash Alex Clark that much, after all it's where the (arguably) GOAT FPO player of all time learned her craft eh?

Last edited:
Hah, that is great. The Pierce family is from Plano I'm pretty sure, so Alex Clark/Towne Lake was probably their home course for most of those years, I don't think Plano ever got a course inside city limits until more recent times. I can't trash Alex Clark that much, after all it's where the (arguably) GOAT FPO player of all time learned her craft eh?
hey don't say stuff about people you don't know about it makes the internet trash.

east side plano has one of the oldest courses and it aint towne lake or wilson creek.

- saylor

@Nick Pacific Yes, they are from Plano, I grew up in Plano, although I didn't start playing disc golf until I was in College at North Texas.

Shawnee Park is one of the oldest courses in the DFW area. Pre dates Alex Clark by several years. Technically I played that course with a 165 Ultimate disc way before I found out about golf discs. Shawnee was a 9 hole course originally, then sort of expanded to 18 by adding a 2nd 9 holes on top of the original 9 hole course. It was horrible to say the least. Then a few years ago it was redesigned to a decent but dangerous 18 hole layout. (see my review on this web site)

However, Barry use to take Paige out to do field work. One of her early tournament was a Jr Even I held at lunch time at my Carrollton Open tournament. I had something like 12 Jr, all one division. She beat all the boys. (I think my son got either 2nd or 3rd)

Even at the tournament mentioned above, I remember us talking about how he was working with her on the mechanics of the game.

Looks like I'll be back in Dallas next month! April 18th through the 23rd (possibly longer) is about the time frame. Sunday the 21st I'll be at Command Fest Dallas (Magic: The Gathering version of Comic Con) but the rest of the time I'll be bagging the courses I missed the first time around. Totally unscheduled, surprised trip I just figured out I could take. Would love to meet up with some new friends and of course those of you I met a few months ago when I was down here: @TheOtherBill @Pizza God @aclay

Looks like I'll be back in Dallas next month! April 18th through the 23rd (possibly longer) is about the time frame. Sunday the 21st I'll be at Command Fest Dallas (Magic: The Gathering version of Comic Con) but the rest of the time I'll be bagging the courses I missed the first time around. Totally unscheduled, surprised trip I just figured out I could take. Would love to meet up with some new friends and of course those of you I met a few months ago when I was down here: @TheOtherBill @Pizza God @aclay
Would LOVE that!

Might be able to catch a morning round or two. Not sure the dates my manager is taking off at the end of April or when I am taking my vacation yet.

If I remember, I will look at your courses played and recommend the best courses you have not played yet.

Might be able to catch a morning round or two. Not sure the dates my manager is taking off at the end of April or when I am taking my vacation yet.

If I remember, I will look at your courses played and recommend the best courses you have not played yet.

That would be very appreciated!

Don't temp me, it doesn't take much

Must Plays for this time around

Dino Hills out in Glen Rose - 3 courses on site (one is a par 2 course) P2P and worth every penny
Trophy Club - Small gate fee but one of the better courses in the DFW area
Towne Lake in McKinney - one of my personal favorites.
The Woods @ Trinity - McKinney This is a mix, I love the wooded side, but it has some wide open hole where the lakes come into play. In the gold layout, this course is killer

Can't go wrong with any of these
Saddle Hills - White Settlement - This course has it all, just don't try to play if it has been raining.
Bicentennial - Crowley - ever seen the WTF Richard video, well that was on hole 1.
Crossroads of Life - Duncanville - One of the better church courses I have ever played.
Turner Park - Grand Prairie - One of the only courses with lots of elevation coming into play. This course's days are numbered. The course is not in the master plan but the local guy is trying to work with the city to save the course. We don't have a timeline, so the course stays in till they upgrade the park.
The Jaranator - Lancaster - This is a private course that is hard to get on. You would have to contact Matt Jara and see if the course is going to be open anytime you are around. He has been known to open for out of town players before. Matt designed Roadrunner at The Hideaway and the course at Cedar Valley in Lancaster too.
Fritz Park - Irving - This is the 2nd oldest course in Texas still in use (Behind Bart in Austin) It's been redesigned to 18 holes, but a couple of the OG holes are still in play.
Bill Allen Memorial - The Colony - This course is not too bad. It has some pretty challenging holes and one that Brodie Smith has used in some of his video's.

Other decent courses that are all ok.
Northlake - Denton - 2 courses on site. I like Lakeside better than Creekside.
Arcadia - Fort Worth - typical park style course (I admit I hardly remember playing this years ago)
North Park - Haltom City - near Ideal Discs, this is a very popular park style course that is well maintained.
Weatherford - Weatherford - Kind of outside of town, but worth the drive. It's more park like type of course.
Bailey Lake - Burleson - This course is decent, 1/2 in a park like setting, then a few holes next to the lake where you can loose your discs.
Grandbury City - Grandbury - Park style course with 21 holes. it's not bad but nothing to write home about.
Jimmy Porter - Carrollton - Course right behind my store. it's a very popular course. Add across the paths OB and across creek ob and this course is tough. A few of the holes now have 2 pin placements.
Greenbelt - Carrollton - Ok, this is like the 4th or 5th oldest course in Texas, however it has gone though several changes. This is my OG home course. It's a mix of the Original A course and B course mixed with some changes when my son re installed the course when the city redid the creek. (Eagle Scout Project)
LL Woods - Lewisville - Another old school course. Park setting with a cemented in creek. For tournament play, most of the holes are played creek and across OB and sidewalk and across OB. This is the one we passed driving from Heritage to the Lake (Old man course)
Jack Culverhouse - Princeton - This course is pretty far from Dallas, it's drive to McKenney and take a right. It's on the grounds of the WWII interment Camp.
BB Owens - Dallas - The OG baskets for this course came from the 1st public course in Texas. We installed BB Owens in a crack park. Seriously, you had to watch your step for needles when we first installed the course. No one but homeless and crack heads used the park. After Disc Golf was started, not only did WE clean up the park, but the homeless moved on, so did the crackheads and other park users started coming out. The Basketball course even started getting used again. Tree Love Disc Golf Shop is across the street and has installed a few extra holes.
Paschall park - Mesquite - Typical Park setting course that has a few good holes.

Ok, there are several more I didn't list, most are little 9 hole course or 18 hole courses that are not very good. Or just courses in bad to unplayable shape. Those are ones you do to fill in the gaps for course bagging.

Last edited:
Ok, a few more that you might consider if you have the time but are a little bit outside of the area.

Sherman and Dennison. Both of these courses are designed by HB Clark out of Kentucky. Dennison is the better of the two, large trees, lots of hills, in a park setting. Sherman is more open but has a dam hole you will hate.

Trey Texas Ranch - I am not sure if either of these course are playable anymore. You would have to contact them. These are John Houck courses and were some of the best in Texas when in good condition.

Blackberypine - (not too far from Trey Texas Ranch) new p2p course, you can pay your fee online and he sends you a code to get into the gate. I believe they have 21 holes out there now. Its a East Texas Pine course with almost no open holes. GREAT summer course as it has a ton of shade. Owned by Harpoon Larry.

Tyler - it would take 2 days to play every course in the Tyler area. Most of them are decent to great.

Waco - You can't go wrong with The BEast. Cameron Park across the river is a very fun course designed originally by John Houck.