• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[DGA] DGA Breaker!

Has anyone thrown them against the classic roc. I throw a tfr champion for driving/upshot putter. I putt with the pro classic roc. Just picked up 2 pl breakers that I'm hoping will replace my putter. They feel just a bit beefier in my hand than the classic roc. Have not gotten to throw them yet.

This is beefier than the classic roc, but very similar. I have a couple classic rocs,but they are pretty beaten in. I feel like they are very similar.

Can't wait to get my SP Line Breaker...I have taken my PL Breaker out in favor of Pigs, but if this SP works out like I hope it does, the Oinkers might be back in trouble.

Can't wait to get my SP Line Breaker...I have taken my PL Breaker out in favor of Pigs, but if this SP works out like I hope it does, the Oinkers might be back in trouble.

What did the Pigs do that your PL didn't? What are you hoping for from the SP?

Try washing it with soap. I hear that grips them up. Also, some use will improve the grip. SP definitely has a different feel to it, but I don't consider Proline to be slick, so I wouldn't know if it will be better.

What did the Pigs do that your PL didn't? What are you hoping for from the SP?

The Breakers strengths are what made me switch out, honestly. Pigs, as is well known, are glideless beasts. The Breaker has better glide, is less overstable (or, at least, as less of a dump out at the end...they certainly both resist turn like nobodies business!) and, for my arm anyway, is noticeably faster. More than just a tic faster. It's like the Gremlin of putters...not quite fast/long enough to be a true mid-range, but longer/faster than any other putt and approach disc.

I was actually having trouble on shorter holes with the Breaker because it just kept going too long! Rather than force the disc (i.e. work with it long enough to do what I wanted) I went back to my massive collection of Pigs. Pigs just feel more comfortable for me, having thrown them so long. The Pigs I have (I don't throw older R-Pro..just old Pro and the new "Pro" which is clearly just firmer R-Pro) do beat in rather frequently, so I switch them out every few months, just to keep them beeftastic. That said, my PL Breaker broke in faster than my Pro Pigs...and that's without any sort of big tree hits. My Breakers (I broke in two PLs within six months of playing) still had that good fade, but lost a lot of their HSS. Not uncontrollable by any means, but flat throws were getting noticeable turn.

Basically what it comes down to is the same reason I throw so much Innova now. There are disc that do the same stuff on the market, some might even do it better for other people, but I don't have the free time to really dial in a disc. If it doesn't click with me immediately (recent examples: Tensor, Volt and Patriot) I'm not going to keep messing with it. I'll just go back to what I know.

What do I hope from my SP Breaker? Slightly less glide, and drastically enhanced durability. I know six months to you guys seems like a long time to work with a disc and not get it dialed in, but I'm old and set in my ways, haha. I do love the Breaker...it feels great in the hand. I WANT to work it into the bag, if that makes sense. Since it is winter, when I get my SP I'll work with it and the PL and see if I can REALLY dial them in. I'll start using them on a lot more short shots, as well as long ones. I know I can always go back to my Pigs without any negative change in my game, so we shall see!

Wow, that rambled on longer than I thought. Sorry about that one!

So Andy -- what's your verdict on the SP Breaker? or anyone who's thrown them in both Pro and SP?
(Thx ATrain)

SP is definitely more overstable than Prolines. They both fly great, but I just can't get away from my precious Rhynos. I would expect D-lines in the future too for putting. They had a very limited test run of them early this year.

So Andy -- what's your verdict on the SP Breaker? or anyone who's thrown them in both Pro and SP?
(Thx ATrain)

Took awhile to get to me. Haven't really thrown them enough to get a good feel yet...my Prolines are pretty broken in, so it's tough. But from initial tests I can say the SP Breaker is ever so slightly more OS. Still has good glide. Plastic looks great, as all SP does.

Also, the SP still has the "zipper bottom" of the Proline Breakers which, for unknown reasons, I love.

^Didn't mean to ignore your December post Andy, sorry about that.

My SP's I'm keeping - the PL's are redundant to me so they're currently in a sale thread of mine. I'm sure I'd keep them had I stuck with Ringers for putting, but they were too low profile to consistently put in the chains. Back to my (Magnets) Clutches for putting purposes - driving with my SP's (and some upshots/approaches etc) are nothing short of a blast. I love them.

I've fallen in love with my D-Line Breakers! Super flat, stiff plastic! Not so durable, but that's what you expect.. They have great grip and fly just as stable as ProLine Breakers when fresh.

Played my 2nd round with the breaker today and was really impressed with how it handled the wind. Might be my new favorite BH & fh approach disc.

I've played w/ my SP Breaker for a couple rds. Honestly, I was hoping for a little more fade, but it holds its line just fine when snapped. I threw it several times into some 20mph gusts, where it held its line well, and hung up before dropping w/ minimal fade if any.

I've only flicked it lightly a few times, but it seems FH friendly. I flicked one out of the woods from about 150ft and it actually faded back a touch from the slight turn I started it on. I missed the basket to the right b/c I anticipated a similar result to most of my midrange and putters, which like to turn and never come back.

My struggle has been range. When I put a little air under it, its pretty pinpoint. But with medium speed throws in the woods, I've had difficulty getting it to fade and slow down, and I've had to flirt with the canopy to get it to fade and sit. Maybe the touch will come with time.

I was worried about the "zipper bottom." It looks like very faint vinyl record grooves that run all the way to the center. Its hardly noticeable. The only time I've really thought about the bottom was upon first inspection. Nothing that should concern anyone.

Its a fun disc that I find myself grabbing for more and more. It has a smooth, easy release. It fits somewhere in the mix with my Pro Titanic, Pro Aftershocks (169,179), and my Squalls (Pro, SP). I'll just need to use it more to figure out where. For sure its a go to headwind midrange.

so aftershock vs breaker, all conditions, which would you choose? one choice only

Personally, I'm big on the Aftershock. My max wt Pro Aftershock would be on my one disc round short list, second maybe to my beat up, reliable Squall.

Weather and course dynamics might have me considering the Breaker, but its so similar to a thinner, longer Titanic for me, that I might opt for a putter over it.
That said, the D line Breaker might be a perfect putter...