• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[DGA] DGA disc talk

I'm a huge Squall fan. I have Proline, SP and the MF'er. I just started bagging my Glow Squall after realizing I haven't been using my Proline. I think there's a few reasons:

I recently fell in love with a SP Reef I had written off after just a few throws. I use it for the straight to turnover duties out to just inside 300'. My Proline Squall was what I had been using for that slot.

I also have a Glow Undertow, which is amazing. I use it from just outside 300' to maybe 350' straight to turnover duties.

I figure the MF Squall will fit in that 290-320 spot. It'll also give me an excuse to throw it more. It's a great mold with a lot of versatility. The Squall is my one disc round choice. I'll also get it out on the course when I start falling apart to get my form and confidence back.

For the pairing question:
SP Breaker / Proline Titanic / SP Reef
FLX Drone / Proline Aftershock / Proline Squall
Tsunami / Undertow

The Squall's a great disc, IMO. Neutral enough to shape lines with, while being a little faster and longer than other mids. Proline's are nice, but I prefer SP Squalls, they seem to have better glide and slightly slower flight.

One of the few that isn't more stable in SP, it actually has less fade, less turn too. Nice and controllable.

Oh, I see. Since most dga discs are more os in sparkle I assumed that squalls would be the same.

I thought the same thing when I got mine. For me, the SP Squall goes consistently 20ft further, but only a couple feet more fade than my 8+yr old Proline Squall. When I compared the 8/10 SP with the new MF'er, the Glow Squall had a touch more fade, and I want to believe there's a bit more glide.

I'm also a Proline Aftershock fan and got an SP Aftershock with similar assumptions about Sparkle OS. I liked the extra distance, but the extra dome (I think because its the First Flight mold) gave me control issues, especially in a headwind. The 175g SP I had didn't have as much fade as my flat 178g Proline Aftershock, either.

Cool, the sparkles sound pretty sweet.

I recently lost a 178 sparkle aftershock that was more overstable than my proline aftershocks. I also have a 170 that I haven't theown much yet, but I think it is more os as well.

My SP Aftershock was a "Blacktershock" from the BG Ams. I really liked the way it flew, and I threw it a bunch. But I kept losing it to the right in head and cross winds, even with hyzer. It would also give me a panic attack every time I lost sight of it. If it was brighter, I'd probably still be bagging it, but I've filled the void with Tsunamis.

If a 178g SP is more OS than a 178g Proline, I might have to grab a heavier SP to see if it was just that black tourney run.

I haven't thrown an SP yet, but my 176 Proline Aftershock is such a sweet sweet disc. Very controllable and excellent glide for a premium plastic mid. For me it's a perfect workhorse. I've heard that Shockwaves are OOP, is that really the case? It's still listed on the DGA website and there are a couple here locally that I've been thinking about buying, but I'm not really interested in throwing an OOP mold. What do you guys use, if anything, as an overstable compliment to the Aftershock?

Shockwave is glideless overstable, never liked it, wouldn't be surprised if it goes OOP. But DGA would have to have another OS mid in the works, because the Aftershock isn't.

The Aftershock is also much slower than a Squall, more like a Roc in that regard, so you have a pretty big speed and range gap between the 2, I don't think they pair well. Maybe DGA will get a Wasp variant, as Discraft has all but forgotten that disc. Then there'd be an overstable compliment to the Squall, close in speed and range.

I definitely see what your saying in regards to the speed difference between a Squall / Aftershock. Squalls always seemed like more of a tweener disc. The Aftershock definitely flys like a true mid. I'm kind of thinking a Wasp would compliment the Aftershock well. They would have a similar feel in the hand. I've never thrown a Wasp, but there shouldn't be two much overlap between the two right?

Yes, Squall is a tweener between mid and fairway driver. But SP's fly slower, in my experience anyway.

I think the Aftershock is a slower mid than most, at least by today's faster mid standards. Aftershocks have a narrower rim and are usually a little domey. They're also not as long as most newer mids, at least in the approach shot role.

The Wasp is more contemporary in speed and distance, even though an older design too. Flat Z's fly surprisingly long under power. As an approach disc they're somewhat fast, but can hold lines well, and have that reliable fade.

The "feel" between an Aftershock and Wasp is not similar. Wasp's have a wider rim and are flat, or flatter.

I picked up a sparkle squall at the recommendation of my fellow DGAholics, and that thing is silky smooth!
I like the combo of the sparkle that is a little more stable with less fade and the proline that I can work understable lines with a little better. So far I am pairing it with hornets, a fresh one for beeftastic duties and a really beat one for straighter shots that still need to fade.

Yesterday I lost both of my squalls on consecutive holes. They were the perfect combo, the sparkle was stable.and.workable and the proline was getting pretty understable (it really liked trees). They were becoming my most used discs. I have a blue sparkle squall on the way. And I might stop by PIAS to see if they have a beat one in the used bin.

There was a guy off loading DGA and MVP stuff at a Skate shop nearby. He said he wanted to get some stuff that was a little less mainstream, but got impatient and discounted his whole stock.

I grabbed a heavier FF Undertow. I had given away my lighter one b/c it got too flippy, but I always liked how easy it was to shape. I also want to start working on rollers. It has been super straight from the first throw. I shaped a slow turning drive out to 380+! For reference, that's as far as my longest drivers. So far that I paced it out, b/c I threw it past the basket (as it almost caught chains) and I didn't believe the signage.

I picked up my first D-line Squall, which I've only tossed twice, but seems pretty similar to my beat Proline. Anyone else messed with these?

I also ended up grabbing a red Proline Titanic, mostly because it's red. It stood out as almost rare, since DGA colors are so limited. Since then, I've tried searching online for blue Titanics, since blue Reefs are so common, but it seems D-line Titanics are only available in black, white, orange and light blue (and maybe yellow). Has anyone come across any other colors of Titanics? And why are molds only available in certain colors? There are red Aftershocks, Reefs, Squalls and Tsunamis (and Magnets and Challengers) but no Titanics. Seems weird.

It sounds like I need to give undergoes another shot,. I had a proline that I didn't like very much, maybe I should try a sparkle.

I've been wondering about d line squalls, I'm interested in hearing your opinions on the one you picked up.

Most of the red dga stuff that I have seen is in sparkle plastic for some reason. I did pick up a red proline squall with a n '09 tourney stamp on it at PIAS this week.

It sounds like I need to give undergoes another shot,. I had a proline that I didn't like very much, maybe I should try a sparkle.

SP is better. Glow is best. Undertows undergo when you underthrow. Also, they fly best low and nose down imo.

SP Undertows are a really great workable disc. It can hit lots of lines and distances.

The Proline Undertows do one thing...Flip.

Latest posts