• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2019 Idlewild Open

He's been doing the more selective tournament schedule for a few years now, so I don't think it's just about the Discraft contract. 2011-2013, his first years on tour full time, he was playing 30+ tournaments a year. From 2014 on, after his first two World Titles made him the clear top dog in the game, it has been more like 25 a year (including exactly 25 last year and the year before). This year, he's on pace for 25 again...18 played, 4 to come for which he's officially registered, plus USDGC, HOFC, and the DGPT Finale that aren't listed on PDGA.com yet.

I think the Discraft thing has made it easier for him to be selective, and more relaxed about it because he's more financially secure. I don't think it's entirely about that though.

It seems he has been more selective, perhaps managing his schedule better?

It seems he has been more selective, perhaps managing his schedule better?

The only difference I can see in his schedule from the last two years and this year is a couple of what we could call "off tour" events in lieu of tour events. Specifically, playing Two Days in May (A-tier at home in VA) and KCWO instead of going to Oregon for Portland and BSF. Otherwise, he hasn't missed any other DGPT or NT events this year until Idlewild. Last year he hit them all, on both tours.

I'll be out doing a little course work tonight, probably out in the neighborhood of Idlewild Open holes 13-15. I'll be the dude running the brushcutter with the forestry helmet and face-sheild on. Stop by and say hi if you'd like.

On FB, I've seen several folks have mentioned that the course is looking the best it ever has. Locals have really stepped up to the plate since Bill hasn't been able to work on the course this year. Really great to see.

If you haven't checked out Idlewild before, the next couple weeks would be an ideal time to see it.

Wish I could have helped out but family problems have me pretty busy the last couple weeks...Hoping I can make it out there for the last 9 holes Sunday but I doubt it.

I'll be out doing a little course work tonight, probably out in the neighborhood of Idlewild Open holes 13-15. I'll be the dude running the brushcutter with the forestry helmet and face-sheild on. Stop by and say hi if you'd like.

On FB, I've seen several folks have mentioned that the course is looking the best it ever has. Locals have really stepped up to the plate since Bill hasn't been able to work on the course this year. Really great to see.

If you haven't checked out Idlewild before, the next couple weeks would be an ideal time to see it.

Played if for the first time last Saturday....course is in immaculate condition!
Huge thanks to all of you putting time in it to keep it looking so good.

Got a few hours of work in on IO 13-15 last night. Split my time about 50/50 between running the brushcutter and picking up sticks from all the dead ash trees. Those trees, all of the ash around the green on IO 15 really just need to be removed completely. They're getting more and more brittle every day and it takes a lot of effort to pick up all those sticks. I honestly worry about a large branch or worse falling down at a bad time.

Also gotta say, I don't think there was a single group of pros that played through where I was working that didn't genuinely thank me for my time out there working. Disc golf is pretty damn cool in that regard.

I can confirm that the course is looking pretty awesome.

Paige is back to "no tactics OB golf" . . that fairway on 16 i SOOO wide and they keep throwing OB

i just don´t get it..NOT a single player in the field have better than a 5. . .WHY go for the 4 and throw OB after OB ?!?

Last edited:
Just take a OS mid and play for the 5. . i you will not loose a stroke to a single player in the field. . but gain strokes.

I get mad just looking at the poor tactics. .

Paige is back to "no tactics OB golf" . . that fairway on 16 i SOOO wide and they keep throwing OB

i just don´t get it..NOT a single player in the field have better than a 5. . .WHY go for the 4 and throw OB after OB ?!?

Ego. They all think they can 4 it, so they try to do so. Strategy may change tomorrow if they're at all introspective and recognize exactly what you said...no one in the field is getting the four, there's no reason not to play for the five.

I think despite most courses on tour featuring a few true par 4s and a couple par 5s, disc golfers are still in the mentality of deuce-or-die. By that I don't mean they think they have to deuce everything, I mean they don't play positional/situational golf. Every tee shot is about getting as far down the fairway as they possibly can. That seems especially true when they have a big wide open hole like 16, even though it's lined by OB. Mid, mid, mid should get most of these women within reach of the green, but they can't resist uncorking the longest driver they've got.

Yeah, that 1000'er, I usually just try to Teebird, Teebird, Teebird all the way to the green. Throw it out right and let it fade back into the fairway. (Easier said than done.)

That hole just took their lunch money... and there isn't any wind out there today...

Latest posts