• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2019 San Francisco Open presented by AbsoluteXtracts 10-May to 12-May-2019

pretty good coverage in general.so much so that i wouldn't expect more other than a few camera shakes to be ironed out for free. a good time was had by all....

Saw this too, she seems to plant on her toe within the limits (maybe) and then rolls over onto her heel.

But the second the disc is out of her hand it doesn't matter. Why post a screenshot of her foot placement when the disc is already 6-8' out of her hand? This is the second such posting, and it seems a little disingenuous to me.

Maybe wrong of me to post those pics. . BUT she does so often it must be something she does on purpose, plant her foot to the right of her disc (not mini ) . .is that really a legal foot placement?
I try to catch the relese point but not that easy.

But again, it´s impossible to see live, and even hard on video. . .but you have 20cm behind your lie, the disc is 21cm and she is outside of the disc. . looks like a fotfault

lie-area.png

This is as close as i could get it. . hard to see from the side, but again why plant so far right?

attachment.php

Attachments

• cat.JPG
    cat.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 291
I wonder if she stepped on the disc/mini at some point and rolled her ankle or something. She seems to be hitting that spot quite often for it to just be not paying attention...

She stepped on her disc at one point, Val even called her on it. Gotta admit I'm a little disappointed at Paige making that post about the rules and then not following up the next week. It's a tough spot to be in, calling the leader you're chasing looks bad but you're calling on behalf of everyone in the field. Would be nice if muggsy or Madison, not being in contention, would have taken responsibility for being the bad guy and let Paige second. I counted four foot faults from Cat just on day 3.

I wonder if she stepped on the disc/mini at some point and rolled her ankle or something. She seems to be hitting that spot quite often for it to just be not paying attention...

Exactly what I think as well (she is aiming to hit that spot). Seems like it's a habit she got into probably early in her career and no one ever bothered to correct her. If I were to guess, it might be because her heel pivot caused her toe to kick the mini and as a results she (and others) thought she was stepping on it. Rather than adjust by landing a few centimeters further back, she started aiming to the right.

I do feel like this sort of "intentional miss" is a common thing in our game...the reluctance of people to be "that guy" and not even bring up a potential violation, let alone actually make a valid call once in a while leads to people never addressing their erroneous practices. I've played with plenty of folks over the years who habitually address their lie in a similar manner, specifically being consistently off-center to one side even on stand still throws and putts. Easy enough to point out under the old rule (just center up behind the marker!), but since it's borderline legal under the current rule, pointing it out comes off way more petty and nitpicky than likely intended.

So Barela plays with a bad knee and cant really throw his max. . and he still in the lead. .
Maybe he should play like that all the time. . throw at 80% and gain precision

Disc golf is hard on the knees, even harder on very, very skinny, with little muscle mass to help support the knees, legs. wow..dude needs a samich. lol.. But he is obviously the future of the game. I hope he stays healthy.

This is as close as i could get it. . hard to see from the side, but again why plant so far right?

Exactly what I think as well (she is aiming to hit that spot). Seems like it's a habit she got into probably early in her career and no one ever bothered to correct her. If I were to guess, it might be because her heel pivot caused her toe to kick the mini and as a results she (and others) thought she was stepping on it. Rather than adjust by landing a few centimeters further back, she started aiming to the right.

I wonder if she developed the habit (and I agree that it happens too often to not be some kind of habit) because by being slightly to the right, she'll see the marker in her peripheral vision. Not saying she's looking to see it every time (who does?), but that might be the habit she got into, thinking that if it's in her vision, it must be okay, etc.

Also, and this came up with Nate Sexton and Big Jerm on a video once, the line is supposed to be the foot, the marker, and the basket. But sometimes these players throw hyzers so far to the right (or left, for LH people), or throw around an obstacle, that they are aiming literally sideways to the basket and it looks sideways, but really isn't. I'm not saying that's the case in Catrina's case in these photos, nor am I saying it to excuse her, but on some of these foot faults that could conceivably be the case.

Anyway, i hope she cleans it up, I hope Sarah cleans up her jumps. And I hope they find a solution to the issue, because I continue to believe that the current system of other players making the call is never going to realistically happen, and if it does it would only lead to other, more serious problems.

I'lI go on record as saying if you were to 'analyze' foot faults (ffs), you'd see that the vast majority of rhbh ffs are 'misses' to the right of the marker and rhfh ffs are misses to the left of the marker. This is because we have a subconscious want to open our hips just prior to the throw...and you can do this by planting "just a little further right" (on a rhbh) or planting "just a little further left" (on a rhfh).
Note that this phenomenon would be lessened / eliminated if there were 'extraneous circumstances' (uneven footings, branches in the way, etc.) present.

Ok, why?. . her toe is outside of the 21cm wide disc. . and the legal lie is 20cm

If we ever get to the point where we have officials in the big tournaments (instead of relying on the players to police each other), I'd like to see them call foot faults on those fairway drives. I think it would clear up the problem quickly as the players would have no choice but to adjust. As someone said, it makes those throws a lot easier when you don't have to focus on footwork.

I'm always amazed at how conscientious McBeth is about his plant foot. You can see he is thinking about that the entire time as he runs up. I think he even looks at the marker right before he plants. And he still makes great throws that go really far, so it can be done.

Where is the basket in relation to her foot and the disc?

(Point being, if you don't know where the basket is, you can't set the parameters for the 20cm width.)

at work now so can´t look that up-- - but i think its and Anhyzer throw to a basket on the right side. . so her foot is closer to the basket than her disc...I think

Its hole 1 R3 . . her 2nd throw

Just looked that up, the basket is far to the right. .it´s a big anhyzer. .

attachment.php

Attachments

• cat2.JPG
    cat2.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 240
And you should be BEHIND your mini OR disc...NOT to the side. . so how could Cats throw be even close to legal?

3fsghgrbo3801.png

I'll concede that it's very likely a foot fault on Catrina's part, there. Sarah Hokum's jumps are also pretty clearly faults, as well. So the questions of 'where are the other players when they're supposed to be watching?' and 'is it that hard or easy to call in live time?' and 'are we asking too much of players to call each other's faults?' come into play.

I'll concede that it's very likely a foot fault on Catrina's part, there. Sarah Hokum's jumps are also pretty clearly faults, as well. So the questions of 'where are the other players when they're supposed to be watching?' and 'is it that hard or easy to call in live time?' and 'are we asking too much of players to call each other's faults?' come into play.

I think Cat's misses are a much easier real-time call to make than Sarah's (and Paige P's). If only because her plant foot remains after the release as possible evidence for a call. What we see in the still frame that Jolt posted is something that a live observer can see even without catching the exact moment in which she released the disc. Her foot remains off the mark and we know that the only movement that occurred with it was the pivot of her toes...the heel remains in place. Doesn't take much to determine whether or not her toe might have been in the box at release or not. No such evidence remains after a jump putt.