• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT Sold to Todd Rainwater

Reposting from my FB page. This is why I think this is a pretty big deal.

Todd Rainwater, the individual who purchased the DGPT, is a billionaire(*). At the same time, he is also an actual, active disc golfer (#57622). He is the person behind the the Nantucket Disc Golf Open. It is an event that pros talk about as a destination event. They make a point to play in it because the people that run it (Todd & crew) go way beyond normal requirements to wine and dine the players. This is a person who loves disc golf, and loves professional disc golf.

Second, the first thing he does is employ Jeff Spring as the CEO for the venture. Jeff is well liked and has experience. He was the TD for the 2018 Pro Worlds and 2019 Pro Master Worlds. To be a TD, for worlds, 2 years in a row, this guy is a working class dog. In addition, although he lives in VT, he was the TD for the Portland (OR, not ME) Open this year. The dude organized and ran a tournament 3,000 miles from home. As a TD myself, that is insane.

I don't think someone like Todd purchases the DGPT to bleed it dry or to have it as a side hobby only barely nurturing it along. I also don't think he's stupid enough to throw an absurd amount of money at it either. I do think he will invest into it an amount that is reasonable to him, quite a lot to the rest of us, and more than what I think Steve Dodge was able to gather on his own.

I also think, unlike a company investor such as Nike, Adidas, beverages, etc., that he may be more willing to have a long term look and not necessarily be expecting immediate revenue or income from it. I think he will be more willing to continue to invest in it hoping that some day it will actually become a thing, rather then a company expecting an immediate ROI or they cut bait.

--
* I guess it is a presumption on my part that he is a billionaire. His dad's net worth at his death was $3 Billion (August 2015). In searches, I've seen donations of $10 and $100 Million. While it may be that his son(s) don't inherit all of it, but even if they get 10%, that's still a lot of money - $300 million lots of money.

In addition, although he lives in VT, he was the TD for the Portland (OR, not ME) Open this year. The dude organized and ran a tournament 3,000 miles from home. As a TD myself, that is insane.

I was a volunteer at The Portland Open this year. Jeff was one hard-working, super nice guy as a TD. I met Steve there, too. He took time to visit with all the volunteers and did some sign carrying and other things himself. I have nothing but positive things to say about both of them from what I saw at the tournament.

Todd Rainwater, the individual who purchased the DGPT, is a billionaire(*). At the same time, he is also an actual, active disc golfer (#57622). He is the person behind the the Nantucket Disc Golf Open. It is an event that pros talk about as a destination event. They make a point to play in it because the people that run it (Todd & crew) go way beyond normal requirements to wine and dine the players. This is a person who loves disc golf, and loves professional disc golf.

Second, the first thing he does is employ Jeff Spring as the CEO for the venture. Jeff is well liked and has experience. He was the TD for the 2018 Pro Worlds and 2019 Pro Master Worlds. To be a TD, for worlds, 2 years in a row, this guy is a working class dog. In addition, although he lives in VT, he was the TD for the Portland (OR, not ME) Open this year. The dude organized and ran a tournament 3,000 miles from home. As a TD myself, that is insane.

I don't think someone like Todd purchases the DGPT to bleed it dry or to have it as a side hobby only barely nurturing it along. I also don't think he's stupid enough to throw an absurd amount of money at it either. I do think he will invest into it an amount that is reasonable to him, quite a lot to the rest of us, and more than what I think Steve Dodge was able to gather on his own.

I also think, unlike a company investor such as Nike, Adidas, beverages, etc., that he may be more willing to have a long term look and not necessarily be expecting immediate revenue or income from it. I think he will be more willing to continue to invest in it hoping that some day it will actually become a thing, rather then a company expecting an immediate ROI or they cut bait.

--
* I guess it is a presumption on my part that he is a billionaire. His dad's net worth at his death was $3 Billion (August 2015). In searches, I've seen donations of $10 and $100 Million. While it may be that his son(s) don't inherit all of it, but even if they get 10%, that's still a lot of money - $300 million lots of money.

rainwater could straight run a monopoly

No jokes made yet about a dude named "Rainwater" taking over and hiring a guy named "spring"?

Color me surprised lol

**Or just veeeerrrryyyy easily amused**

I thought I was gonna be the first one to mention the guys name is rainwater:confused:

If it's true that he has money then hopefully he puts it into the DGPT. I don't follow the DGPT that much besides worlds and USDGC. How has it been doing? More events, higher turnouts and bigger payouts every year?

Why do you think this was announced before the Maple Hill tournament? Rather than, say, at the conclusion of the tournament or the week after.

--

It sounds like this is a good deal for the Pro Tour (in general). A Disc Golfer, with lot's of money, who hired a very experienced TD to run the thing. Surely, the new owner has a lot of contacts in the big dollar circles and can talk about this new venture and maybe bring more investors in. We'll have to wait and see, but it sure sounds like a step (or two) forward.

:popcorn:

I know it's semantics when you are talking the levels of money this family has. But is Todd actually a billionaire? Richard I saw was estimated to be worth 2 billion and donated a lot of his estate to charity and research. But I see little mention of the kids - unless I overlooked something. I'm sure he's not hurting by any means and has a huge backing behind him. Excited to see what this added investment brings to the sport!

A billion here, a billion there, and soon we're talking about real money. :D

I agree that this should be a most very good thing for professional Disc Golf.

DG on the par-3 course at Augusta National? That'd be awesome! :thmbup:

Not holding my breath, though.

I honestly think the sky is the limit with this lineup and where DG is right now.

rainwater could straight run a monopoly

I had no idea this guy had the kind of cash people are acting like he does, but that was my first thought too.

It will be interesting to see what changes going into the 2020 season. That might be bigger hype than the pros changing sponsors thread.

I honestly think the sky is the limit with this lineup and where DG is right now.

I agree with you.

I was being humorous about a DG course at Augusta National. I don't know if you've been there, but both the regular course and the par-3 course are exceptionally beautiful, especially in the Spring when The Masters is being played. I doubt they'll ever really put in a DG course on the par-3 course (and no way on the regular course), but it would be an awesome sight if they did... :popcorn:

I wouldn't hold your breath for an immediate infusion of millions.

I'm assuming he will build upon the established tour by improving/fixing key areas and then continuing on a sustainable path.

Hopefully his clout can attract a few big fish eventually though.

One thing he could do is ovbvious…

I wonder how much a portable wifi system that would be good enough to handle what they need costs? That would enable them to go to a bigger selection of courses. Including maybe one day taking over the NTs where several of them don't have signal...

Latest posts