• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: The MVP Open at Maple Hill

https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/34303
https://udisclive.com/live/mvpopen2018?TournID=34303
https://www.discgolfscene.com/tournaments/MVP_Open_at_Maple_Hill_2018

https://www.dgpt.com/

Maple Hill is proud to host its 15th annual premier disc golf event, and this year marks a couple of big changes. First, a new title sponsor, MVP Discs, has come on board. Second, the tournament will be just three days. And Third, we are bringing all of the fun and extras back to the event. The 2018 MVP Open will be disc golf the way it is meant to be, pie eating contests and all.

Maple Hill is an awe inspiring course which challenges every shot, encourages players to go for it even when they may not have it and truly brings the mental game into play. New England in September, watching the best players in the world compete on an amazing property, what could be better?

Also, with Pro Worlds at Smugglers' Notch, the GMC is taking a year off. This means that the MVP Open will be the final regular season event for the 2018 Pro Tour. Players will be fighting for position to make the Tour Championship as well as who will be crowned Tour Points Champion. Come hungry and thirsty, and get ready to watch some amazing disc golf.

Fan Vote
1. Eagle McMahon
2. Kevin Jones
3. Drew Gibson
4. Grady Shue
5. Nate Perkins
6. Austin Hannum
7. NIkko Locastro
8. Chris Dickerson
9. Bobby Musick
10. Paul Ulibarri

Vote Here for MPO

1. Jessica Weese
2. Catrina Allen
3. Rebecca Cox
4. Madison Walker
5. Ellen Widboom

Vote Here for FPO

FPO Feature Card
Paige Pierce - 2017 Maple Hill Open Champion
Sarah Hokom - 2nd in Pro Tour Points
Chantal Gipson - Am-Side Winner
Fan Vote

MPO Live Card
Ricky Wysocki - 2017 Maple Hill Open Champion
Paul McBeth - Pro Tour Points Leader
Nicolas Carl - Am-Side Winner
Fan Vote

MPO Feature Card One
Michael Johansen - 2016 Maple Hill Open Runner-Up
James Conrad - 3rd in Pro Tour Points
Juhani Vainio - Event Choice
Fan Vote

MPO Feature Card Two
Gregg Barsby - 2015 Maple Hill Open Runner-Up (Ricky Wysocki is already on live card)
Nate Sexton - 4th in Pro Tour Points
Matt Dollar - Event Choice
​Fan Vote

MPO Feature Card Three
Jeremy Koling - 2014 Maple Hill Open Champion
Garrett Gurthie - 5th in Pro Tour Points
Kyle Moriarti - Event Choice
Fan Vote

Cant believe Barry isnt already on one of the 4 featured cards, and they didn't even include him in the fan vote??? Did he refuse a spot or is Dodge just clueless?...

On the bright side, that Barsby, Sexton and Dollar card looks entertaining...

Cant believe Barry isnt already on one of the 4 featured cards, and they didn't even include him in the fan vote??? Did he refuse a spot or is Dodge just clueless?...

Right!? Why is Musick even on the fan vote? The MPO feature cards look great. Live is skipable.

On the bright side, that Barsby, Sexton and Dollar card looks entertaining...

I can see the argument that he ought to be included in the fan vote, but not that he ought to already be on one of the featured cards.

They appear to have a system for setting up the featured groups...former champion (or runner-up if the champ isn't attending) from each of the last four years, top 4 in tour points (one of whom is a former champ so #5 gets in), and an event pick per card. It's tradition that the am side champ plays with the defending champ, so that's one event pick filled. Vainio and Dollar are MVP sponsored, so obviously the MVP Open will pick them. Moriarty is the Maple Hill club champ, Lat64 sponsored, and one of the best players in Massachusetts. Gotta have some local representation in the mix. Not seeing where Barry fits.

I think Barry not being in the fan vote is probably down to one of two things...either Barry asked not to be included or he was overlooked because he's not a tour regular. Looking at the list of choices, those are all players who've been at other tour events during the season. That makes sense to me.

Fan Vote
1. Eagle McMahon - I can see this
2. Kevin Jones - also can see this
3. Drew Gibson - I guess? He hasn't won anything this year...though
4. Grady Shue - who?
5. Nate Perkins - I guess to pair him with Nikko so he doesn't shout %#@$ really loudly?
6. Austin Hannum - who?
7. NIkko Locastro - Nikko always seems to play this event well
8. Chris Dickerson - definitely see this
9. Bobby Musick - this event is outside of Cali so...why?
10. Paul Ulibarri - sure, why not

DGPT - "The fan vote is based on the top ten in Tour points that are not already on a feature card. AJ just missed the cut!"

I can see the argument that he ought to be included in the fan vote, but not that he ought to already be on one of the featured cards.

They appear to have a system for setting up the featured groups...former champion (or runner-up if the champ isn't attending) from each of the last four years, top 4 in tour points (one of whom is a former champ so #5 gets in), and an event pick per card. It's tradition that the am side champ plays with the defending champ, so that's one event pick filled. Vainio and Dollar are MVP sponsored, so obviously the MVP Open will pick them. Moriarty is the Maple Hill club champ, Lat64 sponsored, and one of the best players in Massachusetts. Gotta have some local representation in the mix. Not seeing where Barry fits.

I think Barry not being in the fan vote is probably down to one of two things...either Barry asked not to be included or he was overlooked because he's not a tour regular. Looking at the list of choices, those are all players who've been at other tour events during the season. That makes sense to me.

Barry is a former champion...;)

Barry is a former champion...;)

Not in the last four years he isn't. If they were to have nine featured cards, then his former champ status is a thing. Cale Leiviska is in the field and he's got two titles at Maple Hill but he's not on a feature card or in the fan vote either.

Not in the last four years he isn't. If they were to have nine featured cards, then his former champ status is a thing. Cale Leiviska is in the field and he's got two titles at Maple Hill but he's not on a feature card or in the fan vote either.

He should be in there, also. I realize that Dodge has apparently set up the feature card process to favor players that are touring regularly but there should be some wiggle room for guys like this. Especially for former champions of said events. Or players that are highly ranked/rated. Both guys are top10 rated in the event and top15 in the world. Neither of them get as much exposure as other players, so having them might drum up a little extra interest in the vids. I hear people frequently, on here and in the live chat/comments on YT, talk about seeing the same guys all the time. Now, I will admit that stuff like that has been a little less frequent this year with Paul and Ricky not on pretty much every lead card but that doesn't mean that people wouldn't want to watch either or both(Barry and Cale) of them play.

Chances are, one or both of them will play well enough to make a feature card at some point during the event and I for one, will be watching.:thmbup:

Why are there players in the fan vote that are not registered for the tournament?

Yeah, looks like Bobby Musick is not registered to play at the MVP Open, so no worries about him getting on a feature card ahead of Barry Schultz.

The weather in Massachusetts has been hot and muggy with lots of rain for the past several weeks. But, the pattern seems to have broken. It is only 71 degrees F here at midday today; great weather for being outdoors throwing discs.

The temps and humidity are forecast to be pretty comfortable for Fri - Sun, barely breaking 80 degrees F, and 55% humidity.

The players could find the weather conditions to be significantly different from what they have experienced at some previous tournaments, such as the Ledgestone Open, where it had been warmer.

Due to the heavy amounts of rain throughout the previous weeks, I predict dense foliage conditions at Maple Hill DGC, and probably some higher water lines on the ponds adjoining the fairways. I'll be interested in seeing how this affects the players this year.