• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Open At Austin

This event was moved from Belton to the new temp course in Austin last year - Harvey Penick DGC. From reading this blog sounds like most of the course is changed up with 5 new holes carved out of the woods and only 6 holes unchanged from the first iteration. I don't really remember much from this tournament last year apart from Buhr and Pierce winning with pretty tight scoring and a number of tricked up holes that caused players to try some different things (Eagle grenade nailing the cameraperson in the head :confused: ).

Took a little digging but found the caddy book linked from the DGPT page. Looks like the new wooded holes will be lined with some OB so potentially some added risk to up the difficulty/randomness from kicks. 17 & 18 finishing in the woods could be interesting, just unsure of the terrain/elevation for those two fairways.

Flight Factory is the presenting sponsor for 2024. Lone Star was the presenting sponsor for 2023.

MPO Picks:
Anttila, Buhr, Dickerson

FPO Picks:
Tattar, Gannon, Salonen

Last edited:
Nice info, good start for tournament threads this year.

I wonder if Lone Star had first right of refusal for presenting sponsor this year?

Nice info, good start for tournament threads this year.

I wonder if Lone Star had first right of refusal for presenting sponsor this year?
I think Lone Star chose to present Texas States (instead of Open at Austin) this year, and continued to present Music City Open again this year. Not sure as to why the change though.

Never heard of Flight Factory before this event. Retail only with some bigger name sponsorships like Calvin, and they sell used discs. While it used to be the norm (like old GBO presented by DD), now it's kind of odd to see just a retailer and not one of the 76 new companies making discs as a sponsor.

Never heard of Flight Factory before this event. Retail only with some bigger name sponsorships like Calvin, and they sell used discs. While it used to be the norm (like old GBO presented by DD), now it's kind of odd to see just a retailer and not one of the 76 new companies making discs as a sponsor.
They used to sponsor Heather Young, but she dropped off the tour last year.

I think Lone Star chose to present Texas States (instead of Open at Austin) this year, and continued to present Music City Open again this year. Not sure as to why the change though.
Texas States is back to DGPT elite series level (2023 Silver event). Lone Star is closer to Houston and maybe only would only sponsor one TX elite series event? MCO is a market they may want to expand more into and have a better relationship with. Seems like a bit of personnel/sponsorship shakeup occurred at Lone Star this offseason so maybe this was part of that.
Infinite/Clash/Thought Space/Millennium/Mint would all kinda make sense. Looks like the AM side for Open at Austin occurred last weekend without a manufacturer sponsorship either - The Open at Austin Am Event 2024. This was going on the same day as the WACO DGPT and Am/Protected weekend events which would have limited the draw.

Probably expecting one of the lower payouts for the year among the US Elite events without a large manufacturer's support.

Can't help but feel this year is the official changing of the guard. Gannon and Kyle will finish higher in DGPT standingsthan the previous Crush Boys this year, and Barela seems to finally be closing in on his full potential.

With that being said look for Ricky to take this one and Paul will shut up all us doubters by remaining in contention.

Weather will be awful all weekend - rain and likely thunderstorms until Sunday morning. If they end up getting two rounds in, I'd pick Ricky or Calvin as they play exceptionally well in wet conditions.

This event was moved from Belton to the new temp course in Austin last year - Harvey Penick DGC. From reading this blog sounds like most of the course is changed up with 5 new holes carved out of the woods and only 6 holes unchanged from the first iteration. I don't really remember much from this tournament last year apart from Buhr and Pierce winning with pretty tight scoring and a number of tricked up holes that caused players to try some different things (Eagle grenade nailing the cameraperson in the head :confused: ).

Took a little digging but found the caddy book linked from the DGPT page. Looks like the new wooded holes will be lined with some OB so potentially some added risk to up the difficulty/randomness from kicks. 17 & 18 finishing in the woods could be interesting, just unsure of the terrain/elevation for those two fairways.

Flight Factory is the presenting sponsor for 2024. Lone Star was the presenting sponsor for 2023.

MPO Picks:
Antilla, Buhr, Dickerson

FPO Picks:
Tattar, Gannon, Salonen
Interesting pick with Dickerson. I can't figure him out lately. My prediction is that none of the Top 8 MPO finishers from Waco will be in the Top 8 at Austin.

I think to silence the doubters Paul needs to sweep all the majors again and potentially to turn into solid gold while doing it.

This event never really got onto my radar, the course isnt a classic that I enjoy watching regardless of who is on. So depends a little on who ends up on the coverage if I will watch or not.

Ps. Anttila, not Antilla. Common mistake that just bugs me :)

If the forecast is calling for terrible weather, I'm guessing several competitors will end up dropping out ahead of time.

I'm predicting my fellow Iowan Buhr stays hot and wins another.

MPO Picks:
Antilla, Buhr, Dickerson

FPO Picks:
Tattar, Gannon, Salonen
Eagle Seems to have a knack for accidently hitting camera crew.

Interesting pick with Dickerson. I can't figure him out lately. My prediction is that none of the Top 8 MPO finishers from Waco will be in the Top 8 at Austin.
I have a feeling on this and I hope somebody is winning like dark horse, My pick for that is Casey White

Women side dark horse is Page Pierce on a redemption from her last few years.

Handley is a good choice...for 2nd place. Good mechanics, nothing too complex in her swing and she has the length to throw far from a standstill.
Seriously tho, there's no way Tattar doesn't win this without injury - her short game will be the difference in tough conditions. She'll dump that FH harp in a puddle under the basket and par everything. If it's really bad, the FPO winner will shoot within two strokes of par for the event.

Handley is a good choice...for 2nd place. Good mechanics, nothing too complex in her swing and she has the length to throw far from a standstill.
Seriously tho, there's no way Tattar doesn't win this without injury - her short game will be the difference in tough conditions. She'll dump that FH harp in a puddle under the basket and par everything. If it's really bad, the FPO winner will shoot within two strokes of par for the event.
Yep, tough to pick anyone over Tattar, plus Handley seems to struggle in close battles on the final day.

Kinda a grab bag of players that have stepped up the last couple years to be a threat alongside Dickerson. Lizotte, Orum, Klein, Dickerson, Redalen, Barela, Anttila all can charge up the leaderboard with a shorter tournament (3 rounds & potential for storms).

Factoring inclement weather and the course changes to be more balanced between woods/open I think Dickerson has a decent chance with his FH/BH options and some precision to keep the disc in bounds/avoid trees. Significant number of holes have OB around the pin within C1/C2 so having options for approaching with different spin/speeds is valuable.

Interested to see how the new woods holes on this track look. As a temporary course it seems like a huge investment so maybe it will become permanent in the future.

Definitely interested to see the new layout. I would love for DGN to do a course preview show for each tournament. I would be much more interested in that as opposed to a lot of the other non-tournament content they produce.

Definitely interested to see the new layout. I would love for DGN to do a course preview show for each tournament. I would be much more interested in that as opposed to a lot of the other non-tournament content they produce.
yeah, the Jomez practice rounds (DGN owned/produced) can be a bit off the rails for the hole descriptions and no hole flyovers generally. Maybe they just produce the drone flyovers used in the live broadcast in a single video for each layout/course as a kind of video caddy book ahead of the event and put out an updated video each year with the changes made.