• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2023 The Open at Austin presented by Lone Star Disc

What I hear is a lot of pros complaining that they can't easily get to -15. A great tee shot leads to a circle 2 putt on several holes, but you know what, that's OK too.

Paul easily could have been -10. He created his own problems.
I mean Meza COULD have been -6 or so with a few made 25'-30' putts. If such a rookie who was working full time in February (can you say KC) can do well, what's everyone else's excuse?

Not liking the course is his choice for sure, but I agree it is disrespectful to rant about it while still playing in it. No one forced him to play the event. (I don't think).

Koling, Sexton and Uli don't look like they made any effort to prepare for a new season. Should serious competitors be sporting dad bods in their mid 30's?

Koling was laughing, almost bragging about his off season weight gain in the LVC practice round, really ticked me off. However, it's not like hes not past his prime with nothing to prove. Additionally his income is secured outside of the competition.

What I hear is a lot of pros complaining that they can't easily get to -15. A great tee shot leads to a circle 2 putt on several holes, but you know what, that's OK too.

Paul easily could have been -10. He created his own problems.
I mean Meza COULD have been -6 or so with a few made 25'-30' putts. If such a rookie who was working full time in February (can you say KC) can do well, what's everyone else's excuse?

Not liking the course is his choice for sure, but I agree it is disrespectful to rant about it while still playing in it. No one forced him to play the event. (I don't think).

The complaining doesn't sit well with me either. Perhaps, I'm ignorant, but aren't these events still largely dependent on local volunteers? Professional disc golfers now have the possibility of making a good living, but they remain dependent on people volunteering their time, equipment and I expect money in some cases to make these tournaments possible.

Pretty sure Sexton had a dad bod when he won the 2017 USDGC, and Koling had a dad bod when he won WACO in 2017 and 2018.

I suspect the fact that both turn 38 this year is a more significant limit to their potential. :)

Dang. A camera man was hit with a grenade from Eagle and was knocked out. They took a half hour break to get him to ambulance him to the hospital. I hope he is OK.

Dang. A camera man was hit with a grenade from Eagle and was knocked out. They took a half hour break to get him to ambulance him to the hospital. I hope he is OK.

What a freak, and very unfortunate occurrence.
I can see an injury of some sort, but I bever would have guessed it would knock someone unconscious.

I'm sure Im with a lot of others hoping this guy ends up OK, and none the worse

What a freak, and very unfortunate occurrence.
I can see an injury of some sort, but I bever would have guessed it would knock someone unconscious.

I'm sure I'm with a lot of others hoping this guy ends up OK, and none the worse

Those discs can do some damage, a few years ago on a local disc golf facebook page, a guy posted a photo of stitches across the side of his head. He wouldn't have been unconscious, because he stated cussing the guy out for not yelling fore.

Those discs can do some damage, a few years ago on a local disc golf facebook page, a guy posted a photo of stitches across the side of his head. He wouldn't have been unconscious, because he stated cussing the guy out for not yelling fore.

Cuts requiring stitches, bad bruising and other injuries of that ilk, I can fathom, especially a split in someone's scalp, given that the skin is relatively thin there, and there's not much "meat" to absorb the blow.

I just wouldn't have thought an otherwise healthy adult would be knocked out!

So for the 2nd week in a row, there is a record # of players within 3 strokes of the lead.

Really seems this may be the norm moving forward. More and more players are getting to that top tier of talent. Could make for some great lead card drama down the stretch, but one bad round pretty much eliminates one's chances.

ive been smoked by discs a few times and even thrown by rec players they hurt

i couldnt imagine takin one from eagle grenade style

ive also seen others take lighter hits and start spewing blood

i hope they are ok

I read the underlined, and assumed he meant "unconscious," but apparently that's not what Foxdawg meant.

Regardless, I hope the guy is feeling OK.
That had to freakin' hurt.

ive been smoked by discs a few times and even thrown by rec players they hurt

i couldnt imagine takin one from eagle grenade style

ive also seen others take lighter hits and start spewing blood

i hope they are ok

One of the biggest grips about Bayview Virginia Beach and Ed Hendrick course 1977, is that the fairways are on top of each other in medium/heavy woods. Any wayward disc missing trees will cross into another fairway, and it may not be off by much. I've had them fly by me there, but no other course, the sound is startling. Recently I hit one of a group of trees that two guys ducked behind unseen. They peeked out, I yelled an apology, when I caught up to them on the next tee, apologized again, one of them laughed and said they were taking a whizz and I literally scared it out of them.

I just watched round 1. Ughhhh....

I like the fact that there's trees with leaves on them. We don't have that here currently. Cabin fever.

I don't like most of the rest. There's some stupid horseshoe shaped holes, the OB is piss poorly defined for viewers. Not only that, but it's flukey, especially in the winds of round 1. The course looks ugly too. Belton sucked, but it had some charm I guess. This one was hard to watch. And I watched the Shelley Sharpe, LVC and the Memorial. This one's a dud IMO. Hard to watch, much less get excited about 2 more rounds. WACO was a fantastic watch and breath of fresh air. This is a step or ten back. :\

I read the underlined, and assumed he meant "unconscious," but apparently that's not what Foxdawg meant.

Regardless, I hope the guy is feeling OK.
That had to freakin' hurt.

I didn't see it live. One of my FB friends posted that "He got knocked the ef out". It looks like he may have exaggerated a bit, lol.

It appears the camera dude is doing OK. I'm also glad that Eagle was able to put that behind him and tear up the course on the back nine.

Last edited:
The hit on the head was gnarly. They said there was "a lot of blood". I'm guessing a pretty good gash--also could have done some serious damage to his ear, but looked like the brunt was left center of the skull. An inch or so left and could have taken off his ear.

It's a terrible course, but there is one shining video moment. Hole 6, ~1:57:24 round 2 DGN coverage.

Simon's timing and the camera angle are perfect as he swats his disc left from 40' away.

Kristen look "off" today. .this might be the time she misses top 3. .
For most players, but it seems Kristin had a tough day today, playing well below her usual level of play and/or rating.

Hopefully, it's just a blip on the radar.

Meant to say "For most players, top 5 is a good finish" but I got interrupted before I could edit.

Latest posts