• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Open At Austin

OB in woods is rarely a good choice. There's usually a better way to handle it and provide an appropriate challenge.
After watching some of the live coverage from yesterday, I think this comment bears repeating. The wooded holes on this course are just silly.

kinda looks like where i play most often. Tennesse be that way.
No.....I love tree filled courses. Taking my medicine, as a disc takes a right turn off a tree. This is what makes disc golfers out of chuckers. Having random OB/stroke building shots, is what I think is asinine. Having OB line wooded fairways just builds chaos. Two nearly identical shots can have radically different outcomes. Kicking into the shule is penal enough, no need to add strokes on top of it.

No.....I love tree filled courses. Taking my medicine, as a disc takes a right turn off a tree. This is what makes disc golfers out of chuckers. Having random OB/stroke building shots, is what I think is asinine. Having OB line wooded fairways just builds chaos. Two nearly identical shots can have radically different outcomes. Kicking into the shule is penal enough, no need to add strokes on top of it.
we just call it "natural OB" you don't get to move back to the fairway. it's probably going to take a throw or two to get back to it ,so i'm guessing it could be more stressful .it all works out in the end, off the fairway is a bad thing. after 43 years playing i wish i could remember that on the tee.;)

we just call it "natural OB" you don't get to move back to the fairway. it's probably going to take a throw or two to get back to it ,so i'm guessing it could be more stressful .it all works out in the end, off the fairway is a bad thing. after 43 years playing i wish i could remember that on the tee.;)
Same thing I wish I could remember but only 21 years of play as I started in 2003 just before premium plastic was easier to find as early premium was a thing from Innova as CE prototype plastic and early Pro Z where plastic overtime no use became easy as soft as modern DX Dragon plastic.

Never heard of Flight Factory before this event. Retail only with some bigger name sponsorships like Calvin, and they sell used discs. While it used to be the norm (like old GBO presented by DD), now it's kind of odd to see just a retailer and not one of the 76 new companies making discs as a sponsor.
They make my favorite disc golf shirt. It says "I love spit outs" with a giant heart for love 😂🤣

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
As a temp course I think they still don't have the 'rough/off the fairway' for those new woods holes maintained to a point that they are still 'fair' by way of over or under punishing similar positions. Lining portions of the fairway with OB lines is evening out the results a bit and reducing scrambling. The OB lines are benefitting the pace of play and watch-ability for in-person spectators and streaming on DGN. Sometimes when a player is off the fairway in the woods its not easy to figure out what they are trying to do and which hole they are actually playing. Those scramble shots tend to slow down the round and the broadcast so the DGPT 'product' is diminished.

Most of the new wooded holes run alongside the creek running through the Harvey Penick property where those OB lines are probably to prevent players going into dangerous areas (risk/injury prevention) for one side of the hole. The other side is spectator viewing and they don't want players getting out in the open to bypass the hole design without some added risk via OB areas.

Maybe they will keep working on the course and expand the woods hole playing areas a little in upcoming years. As-is the new layout has produced a pretty compelling tournament with the golfers throwing cleaner rounds coming out near the top. If anything, this course brings a bit of freshness to the tour with a redesigned course layout for us and the touring golfers to analyze. After this event I don't think we will see another brand new/largely redesigned course for the remainder of the US tour schedule. Olympus DGC and the Lake Waco courses were both brand new to tour this year.

looks like Discmania is doing ok. . .
Kristin had an Of day but today the hunt is on. .

Wierd to see Henna and Ohn play on the same card . . their playstyle and strengts are SOOO different.

Where and how was the super pissed offness? I only watched Homez and he seemes stoic as ever, even the announcers commending him about it.
I watched live. His game was off for three holes. Puts and throws were rushed.That ace was a 'mad' throw as much as it was a quick throw. I could tell by his body language, especially his response to the ace. For sure Niklas didn't do or say anything outright. Hope he wins. Love to hear his interviews about the ordeal.

Rooting for Anttila here, hopefully he was able to run to the first tee in time!

I think they are skipping 3 of the holes to get the round in. Classic DGPT, again making the mostly FPO have to do more work for less pay. SMH my head.

What a performance by Ohn!

Lead card not teeing off till 5:25? Going to be tough to get this one in before dark, especially with Buhr on the card.
Is it Gannon Bur who takes beyond legal time to putt especially when he was at Waco or Las Vegas Open where other MPO cards wished they were on his card so they could call him out?

Last edited:
Is Gannon Bur who takes beyond legal time to putt especially at Waco where other MPO cards wished they were on his card so they could call him out?
You have failed the basic sentence structure test.