• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGWT cancelled?

Hopefully the DGWT can come back in 2019 because it's important that disc golf can tap into the international market.

In general, the US audience didn't appreciate not being the focus of all of the attention IMO.

This is just insulting. The European events were the only reason I watched DGWT the last 2 years.

The biggest difference in the tours to me was the caliber of events (which goes hands down to the DGWT in terms of both prestige and organization), and the fact that DGWT insourced its media whereas DGPT spreads it out. The cons for the DGPT is that the viewership isn't in the same league as WT events, but the pro is that Steve pays much less and the audience shoulders that burden on multiple fronts (Patreon, Merchandise, etc.)

Now you're stretching Jaime. Caliber of events is very subjective. I've seen many well organized DGPT events and many controversially run DGWT events.

And viewership? Do you really think there is a representative sample to compare viewership rates? What a joke.

In-sourcing is the reason DGWT failed. They neglected outside vendors to the point of cost burdens.

When will the disc golf masses realize that public donations are the only way a sustainable tour will operate? This is exactly why Steve and DGPT have the better business model. We all need to shoulder some of the "pro disc golf" burden to get what "we" want.

Last edited:
When will the disc golf masses realize that public donations are the only way a sustainable tour will operate? This is exactly why Steve and DGPT have the better business model. We all need to shoulder some of the "pro disc golf" burden to get what "we" want.

I never really equated "public donations" and "sustainable" before.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never really equated "public donations" and "sustainable" before.

Exactly. Did you not get the tongue and check aspect of the post? It is why pro disc golf and we are in quotations.

The majority of people who play disc golf could care less about the professional side of the sport, and the professional side will only exist because of donations in any form.

Registration fees, local advertising revenue, and TD or Ambassador personal equity equate to public donations in my book. All unsustainable and why pro disc golf will never get as big as people hope.

Last edited:
Completely disagree with this. Fans in the USA appreciate good disc golf in Europe, Australia, Japan, etc., as well as the USA. You're really clutching at straws to blame American DG fans for Jussi's failures.

Oh good lord, extrapolate much? It was a simple observation, I didn't say it was the reason the tour is on hiatus.

Not arguing here but I'm not sure what subscribers proves other than your brand is twice as old and started as a media vehicle for Innova/DM. I'd be curious to know which channel has gained more in the last 2 years when Jomez first started gaining more ground and both tours came around. That would be probably more telling considering that covers the entire lifespan of both tours. I also know nothing of the media agreements, this is purely my outside observation on the success of both in the past 2 years where Jomez appears to be more popular with most fans as a result of the US focused DGPT.

Jomez and CCDG are both older than SpinTV. We are actually the youngest of all major dg media channels.

Jomez and CCDG are both older than SpinTV. We are actually the youngest of all major dg media channels.

Jomez? Their channel may be older but they didn't start covering major events or anything significant until 2 years ago. You started 4-5(?) years ago with branded product demos when no one else was. Like i said I'd be curious who has picked up more subs the past 2 years. Not that any of this really matters.

Exactly. Did you not get the tongue and check aspect of the post? It is why pro disc golf and we are in quotations.

The majority of people who play disc golf could care less about the professional side of the sport, and the professional side will only exist because of donations in any form.

Registration fees, local advertising revenue, and TD or Ambassador personal equity equate to public donations in my book. All unsustainable and why pro disc golf will never get as big as people hope.

The only way I see a disc golf event having a huge payout is if a rich disc golfer decides to run a huge tournament.

Im not sure pro disc golf is even all that viable. This isnt a great anecdote, applicability-wise, but I just played a charity doubles event that had 88 people playing. Eagle McMahon was there...in his hometown, and Id say well over half the players didnt know who he was, and I'd say he's one of the most visible (and exciting!) players to watch.

Point being: if we, the disc golfers, can't get invested into the pro tour, whichever tour it is, how do we expect non-discers to?

Jomez? Their channel may be older but they didn't start covering major events or anything significant until 2 years ago. You started 4-5(?) years ago with branded product demos when no one else was. Like i said I'd be curious who has picked up more subs the past 2 years. Not that any of this really matters.

(Full disclosure I had to look this up) We actually started covering events within a couple months of one another. Their first tournament coverage video on YT is Texas States 2013, and ours is European Open 2013. I met them for the first time during the following year @ Texas States in Round Rock (which is the first tournament I did commentary on).

I looked up our subs as well (I did 11/1/15 - 11/1/17 so we'd have 24 complete months), and we've gained 32,020/62,011 in that timeframe (51.6%). Their channel has been massive this year though so it wouldn't surprise me if they were close to that number too. I'd guess probably 25-27k, I feel like they were in the low teens 2 years ago.

They've had a phenomenal 18 months of growth, many props.

And your "observation" was both wrong and insulting to American DG fans.

Jeez, I thought I was supposedly the sensitive one around here. :rolleyes:

There's no news and no link, just facts sorry. They aren't announcing its non return, just riding off into the sunset. Sorry I can't offer you any more then that.

My one man boycott of all things discmania claims another victim. Jussi, bring live coverage to dgwt events and I will end my boycott and allow these events to come back.

We are actually the youngest of all major dg media channels.

SpinTV and the DGWT is the reason why I got back into disc golf after a 10 year hiatus. My perception of disc golf went from a game where smelly hippies would fill up the local course with their marijuana fumes to an international class-act sport. I can't thank European disc golf enough.

SpinTV and the DGWT is the reason why I got back into disc golf after a 10 year hiatus. My perception of disc golf went from a game where smelly hippies would fill up the local course with their marijuana fumes to an international class-act sport. I can't thank European disc golf enough.

Thank YOU, you've made my day. Hearing these stories is what inspires me personally to keep pushing and grinding in the media game.

Latest posts