• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Monthly 92

long pad to C pin. there is a permanent set of baskets in C so you can play the 'green monster' layout anytime. a local guy won 9 dga baskets in the big raffle they do every year and donated them to the course. the money for the rest was raised by individual donation.

i guess you don't watch disc golf monthly very much. it sounds like they wake up hungover, smoke a j, then sit down and do one take of commentary without watching it first and call it a day. a month or so back, one guy kept referring to a flick/fh as a 'forearm' shot. i've never heard that one before. i'm no video journalist but i could do a better job than cubby and whoever else is tagging along that month. just watching the vid once or twice and taking notes, then doing just two takes of commentary would make a huge difference.

I have heard of the term Forearm shot before. anything that isn't "Forehand" doesn't sound right to me, but I have heard Forearm, Sidearm, Flick, etc...

Also for you being such a level headed and generally nice guy(from talking with you,meeting you, and having you over at my place) I feel that your comments towards what Kevin does (along with his commentators) is truly disrespectful and I hope that you do get a chance to "do a better job".

These are people who are not getting paid, but are volunteering. All of them have jobs and all of them travel to meet up for this. It's not like everyone lives across the street from each other.

I hope that you do get the chance to do something like this after you have dished out thousands of dollars and spent countless hours putting a show together that no one else in the area has ever even attempted to do at this level.

-Scott Lewis
Hyzer Flip Disc Golf

If you pay more attention, He says after every drive "nice drive and skip at the end" whether it happens or got eaten by the grass

Ask Steve Brinster and John DeBois about their struggles to do the Commentary for Skylands '06 DVD. They Will tell you that the sport doesn't have many words that can be used to describe shots and even Brinster and JDB, after doing multiple takes and even going through a dictionary, were still more repetitive than they wanted to be.
It's not easy. I'd suggest you try doing any part of a DGM episode and you can find out what's going on. Kevin is and has been a friend of mine since the time I started Playing in '03 and I truly appreciate what he has been doing and am so glad that someone had the motivation, determination, and thick skin to embark on making a Disc Golf Show especially when no one in the area was even considering it.

-Scott Lewis
Hyzer Flip Disc Golf

The guy that films these videos home course is tyler and I think cubby lives in jersey somewhere. I am sure they would welcom someone new or at least a new assistant. Check out tylers website for the dude that videos info

camera guy rocks...he even gets thrown at and manages to catch the disc dropping after dodging it. 1080 to add to it.

Green Monster is long to long if long to Cpin didn't come across that way.

Nikko has course record...he threw no forehands...not sure about him throwing forehand rollers...but he at the time didn't believe in throwing forehand...now he does more...not a lot but some.

Nikko has course record...he threw no forehands...not sure about him throwing forehand rollers...but he at the time didn't believe in throwing forehand...now he does more...not a lot but some.

Nikko doesn't have the green monster record, but he has the long tee to short basket course record which was a sick 45, 1082 rated round! I think it was 1100 before the official ratings changed it. He was throwing lots of BH rollers. That 1st round gave him a five stroke lead over Avery.

I believe the forehand dominant Geoff Bennett has the green monster record with a 56 1060 rated round. Only person to double eagle 2 hole 7.

I have heard of the term Forearm shot before. anything that isn't "Forehand" doesn't sound right to me, but I have heard Forearm, Sidearm, Flick, etc...

Also for you being such a level headed and generally nice guy(from talking with you,meeting you, and having you over at my place) I feel that your comments towards what Kevin does (along with his commentators) is truly disrespectful and I hope that you do get a chance to "do a better job".

These are people who are not getting paid, but are volunteering. All of them have jobs and all of them travel to meet up for this. It's not like everyone lives across the street from each other.

I hope that you do get the chance to do something like this after you have dished out thousands of dollars and spent countless hours putting a show together that no one else in the area has ever even attempted to do at this level.

-Scott Lewis
Hyzer Flip Disc Golf

Just because someone volunteers to do something, doesn't make them immune to criticism. It is their choice to do this and put it out for the world. If they don't expect some level of criticism from the public, then they shouldn't be doing it. If a volunteer police officer is doing a crappy job, should no one say anything simply because he is a volunteer?

Watched this last night with my wife. The camerawork is the best of any magazine. She kept asking about the area where it was filmed. It made me think about the different areas of the country and people that record events. Obviously these are east coast guys, and you have some people doing events in Cali and the pacific northwest. Really noone does the south or midwest that I know of.

It seems strange that you can't find really good coverage in Texas or the midwest when they are so well represented as far as courses and pros.

My son kept saying the one thing they really need is info on the disc they are throwing. Then you could learn a lot more from watching. Kudos to these guys though.

Ask Steve Brinster and John DeBois about their struggles to do the Commentary for Skylands '06 DVD. They Will tell you that the sport doesn't have many words that can be used to describe shots and even Brinster and JDB, after doing multiple takes and even going through a dictionary, were still more repetitive than they wanted to be.
It's not easy. I'd suggest you try doing any part of a DGM episode and you can find out what's going on. Kevin is and has been a friend of mine since the time I started Playing in '03 and I truly appreciate what he has been doing and am so glad that someone had the motivation, determination, and thick skin to embark on making a Disc Golf Show especially when no one in the area was even considering it.

my comments about them being under the influence were a bit out of line, i agree, but honestly to me that's what it sounds like. and i think due to your personal relationship with kevin, you are 'turning a deaf ear' to what i am saying.

i understand that they are doing this show on a volunteer basis. i enjoy it a great deal, and am glad that they are doing it. it's cool to be able to turn on the tv at someone's house and show them some footage and say 'hey this is what i'm out doing all the time' (although not quite at that level).

i doubt that TONS of people are watching this on demand outside of DGers. and i'm also sure that most people watching it on youtube are also DGers. they are catering to a supportive audience. to a non-DGing audience, i'm sure the production does not scream 'big budget' which is fine - it's not! i'm not criticizing the production quality or lack of multiple cameras.

as stated previously, my only criticism is the commentary! maybe i should start a poll and see how many other people agree with me. it sounds like they sit down, do one take of commentary without having seen the footage previously, and call it a day. i'm not asking for compelling, thought-provoking commentary. i watch some ball golf on tv, and it's not like the commentary is 1000x better. it just sounds prepared.

things like dstearns mentioned - discussing previous AM worlds champs and leaving out paul u. or when cubby mispronounces his last name and repeats himself. is that a big deal? no. is paul offended? i doubt it. would it be hard to go back and redo that part and get the name right? NO! it's little things like that which bother me.

and mind you, all of this criticism is coming from someone who has some experience in video journalism. i am not a professional by any means, which should make it easier to listen to. i'm not talking down at these guys. i took journalism in high school for two years and worked on the daily and monthly broadcast. i worked behind the camera, edited footage, went out 'in the field' for footage and interviews, and even sat behind the desk as an anchor for various segments. i also worked on a kid's show on public access doing the same stuff. so i know what goes into making a show like this.

in high school journalism, we wrote our own scripts and practiced them and then did a few takes to get one that sounded natural and relaxed. sometimes they were edited together. for the shots 'behind the desk' we had to memorize them to a certain degree so that we could read it comfortably. you know why we did all of that? so that our classmates wouldn't make fun of us!! we didn't want to look like fools. very simple. if my high school journalism class had higher standards and self-respect than these guys do for themselves and the sport they are promoting, then i think they need to try just a bit harder.

Just because someone volunteers to do something, doesn't make them immune to criticism. It is their choice to do this and put it out for the world. If they don't expect some level of criticism from the public, then they shouldn't be doing it.

David, I am curious to know why you think this? Why can't they volunteer their time to produce a decent disc golf video without being criticized? Maybe it would be different if you were sending them some constructive critisicm, some helpful advice or volunteering to help make it better but you and Glong are just posting on an internet forum that it should be done better. Why should it be better? Carl and Kevin as far as I know enjoy doing the show just how it is.

I just think that nobody is forcing you to watch it and it is free so there is no need to knock it. I am being honest when I say I would love to see you (or anyone else) produce some of your own videos. I think it would be great to see some southwest disc golf on video (where are all the trees????). You could shoot the video and Glong with is backround in journalism could do the narrative. Sounds like the beginning of a media empire!

David, I am curious to know why you think this? Why can't they volunteer their time to produce a decent disc golf video without being criticized? Maybe it would be different if you were sending them some constructive critisicm, some helpful advice or volunteering to help make it better but you and Glong are just posting on an internet forum that it should be done better. Why should it be better? Carl and Kevin as far as I know enjoy doing the show just how it is.

I just think that nobody is forcing you to watch it and it is free so there is no need to knock it. I am being honest when I say I would love to see you (or anyone else) produce some of your own videos. I think it would be great to see some southwest disc golf on video (where are all the trees????). You could shoot the video and Glong with is backround in journalism could do the narrative. Sounds like the beginning of a media empire!

I think this, because it is the truth. I have the right to freely express my opinions as others do. If I, you, or anyone else, put something out into a public forum, then they should expect critisism. That's life.

What could be done better? For starters, they could use the laptops in front of them to get facts straight.

Why don't I create my own video? Because it would suck, I don't care to, and because it would suck. Did I mention it would suck.

I never said I could do better. I simply stated that they don't know what they were talking about with regards to AM Worlds Champs. If you are going to ask a "trivia question", at least know the answer yourself.

I think this, because it is the truth. I have the right to freely express my opinions as others do. If I, you, or anyone else, put something out into a public forum, then they should expect critisism. That's life.

What could be done better? For starters, they could use the laptops in front of them to get facts straight.

Why don't I create my own video? Because it would suck, I don't care to, and because it would suck. Did I mention it would suck.

I never said I could do better. I simply stated that they don't know what they were talking about with regards to AM Worlds Champs. If you are going to ask a "trivia question", at least know the answer yourself.

Interesting. I completely agree that everyone has the right to express their opinions and of course the right not to express them as well, especially when they are not helpful to anyone at all. But how boring would an internet forum be if everyone was being supportive and constructive!

As for the AM Worlds Champ thing, they mention Ricky who was not a AM World Champ at all, he was a Junior World Champ. And magically I still enjoyed the video because it gave me chance to watch some good golf while it was 13 degrees and snowy outside.

I enjoy the footage and could care less that their commentary is entirely improvised. Obviously it would be better if Barsby were in the booth, but oh well.

why should it be better? because it has the potential to be better without much effort at all. like i said before, i'm not criticizing them for things that are outside of their means (better cameras, more cameras, etc). also with this being 'on demand' i want any non-DGer who watches it to have the best impression possible of what it is about. and i feel that the commentary brings down the quality of the production because it sounds amateurish and unrehearsed. improving the quality of the commentary would take a minimal effort compared to the amount of work that goes into the entire production, but it would make the production sound much more professional. just because you are volunteering to do something doesn't mean it has to sound like it. /rant

Interesting. I completely agree that everyone has the right to express their opinions and of course the right not to express them as well, especially when they are not helpful to anyone at all. But how boring would an internet forum be if everyone was being supportive and constructive!

As for the AM Worlds Champ thing, they mention Ricky who was not a AM World Champ at all, he was a Junior World Champ. And magically I still enjoyed the video because it gave me chance to watch some good golf while it was 13 degrees and snowy outside.

I never said I didn't enjoy it, either. Actually, I did like the footage. I just said that it seems like the commentators didn't know much.

If you pay more attention, He says after every drive "nice drive and skip at the end" whether it happens or got eaten by the grass

This is part of the DGM drinking game, along with a sip for "caught some early wood there" and a full shot for any mention of "valet parking."

i always enjoy these videos. i liked it a lot more when they gave you the final 18. final 9 is kinda lame, but im not paying to watch this, and i dont know if they get paid at all so I can't really complain. The real question is where did the vibram open go? they usually post their coverage of it and didn't this year.

why should it be better? because it has the potential to be better without much effort at all. like i said before, i'm not criticizing them for things that are outside of their means (better cameras, more cameras, etc). also with this being 'on demand' i want any non-DGer who watches it to have the best impression possible of what it is about. and i feel that the commentary brings down the quality of the production because it sounds amateurish and unrehearsed. improving the quality of the commentary would take a minimal effort compared to the amount of work that goes into the entire production, but it would make the production sound much more professional. just because you are volunteering to do something doesn't mean it has to sound like it. /rant

I guess this is where our opinions will always differ, which is fine since I can imagine alot of people feel the way you do. You think they should put more effort into it (their time and effort, not yours) and I think they (or anyone else) should put as much into as they want to. Unless I am paying for it I don't feel that I have the right to tell someone what they should be doing.

I would love to try and do some commentary for some disc golf videos though. I think it would be alot of fun.

i always enjoy these videos. i liked it a lot more when they gave you the final 18. final 9 is kinda lame, but im not paying to watch this, and i dont know if they get paid at all so I can't really complain. The real question is where did the vibram open go? they usually post their coverage of it and didn't this year.

I don't think they were at the Vibram this year. I certainly did not see Kevin around the course. I think maybe Vibram wanted the exclusive rights to the tournament so they can sell DVD's.

I love DGM and think they do the best job of everyone. Showing the leaderboard after the holes and the graphics really make it nice to watch. Sure it could be better but its leaps over anything else people put out.

Not saying the videos are top notch, full of ESPY-worthy commentary or anything, but I think they do a good job.

If nothing else, they do a way better job than any of us sitting around on a forum bitching about it.

hatereagle.jpg