• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf on the Wii

timg

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/072607/met_137190.shtml

Children and those young at heart could be playing a different sport next year on their Nintendo Wii video game console - one that has a direct connection to Columbia County - disc golf.

"I've been contacted by two different (software) companies who are both interested in making disc golf games for the Wii," said Brian Graham, an Augusta resident and the executive director of the Professional Disc Golf Association, which is managing a new International Disc Golf Center at Wildwood Park in Appling.

The Wii is an interactive video game console that allows play with arm movements using a handheld controller. Disc golf, meanwhile, has rules similar to golf but involves using a flying disc instead of a golf ball and clubs.

Mr. Graham said he was approached recently about two game ideas: one that would focus on some of the top players of the game, another that would be a partnership with the PDGA "and may possibly even take one of the courses out here at the IDGC (at Wildwood) and make that a digital course that you can play."

Development of such games, he said, is in the early stages, "but they've started the communication on it."

One of the software companies is Autonomous Productions, based in Redwood City, Calif. Shayne Guiliano, the studio director for Autonomous, said there do not seem to be any major obstacles keeping his company from developing a disc golf game for the Wii.

"Our tentative plans are to release a game sometime middle or late next year," he said. "... The Wii is obviously a great platform ... and we just think it's perfectly suited for what we want to do for a disc golf game."
Mr. Guiliano said the game most likely will be downloadable at a cost of about $10 to $15 through a new Wii service called Wii Ware.

"We're looking at re-creating some of the famous courses, working with Brian (Graham) and that organization to make sure that the game is authentic, and kind of take people through the steps of becoming a professional disc golfer," he said.

Mr. Graham says such interest in disc golf says a lot about the game's growing popularity.

Not sure if I'd want to go outside when there is 3 feet of snow on the ground but I know there are people out there that are into that. How do people find discs when they play in the winter anyway?

I think if it ever does happen it'll just be an amusing little game.. it obviously can't compete with the real deal :)

As someone who comes from a heavy skateboarding background I can't begin to describe how many kids took up skateboarding after playing the Tony Hawk games. I'm sure a DG wouldn't be as inspiring but it could only help to add to our numbers.

I should pick up one of the latest Tony Hawk's. I think I stopped playing them on #3, it just got a little too repetitive. I was a bigger fan of the Thrasher game on PS1, it just seemed more realistic but that doesn't sell as well and I think I was one of 5 people that ever had a chance to play it. In case you couldn't guess, I also come from a heavy skateboarding background.

Back to the Wii game, I think if they did it right it could definitely spark interest in the sport. The only other DG games I've seen out there were pretty horrible.

I was a bigger fan of the Thrasher game on PS1, it just seemed more realistic but that doesn't sell as well and I think I was one of 5 people that ever had a chance to play it.

I guess 2/5ths of those are on this board, 'cause I've played it too! There is another DG game out there - think they had it for PS2 and Xbox. Never played it, the wii controller might add some fun though...

I'll definitely be picking up a wii - and will definitely wait until this game launches! I've been talking with my friends about how logical and awesome it'd be to have a dg game on wii - exciting news for sure.

Well the game isn't guaranteed but I'd recommend getting a Wii anyway, it's a fun system to have.. especially if you invite a bunch of friends over.

As one who lives in a city (NY) where the nearest course is a 45 minute drive, I'm really excited to have something like this on the nights in between weekends just to keep my head in the game. Plus I really do think it'll be a lot of fun for folks who have heard about it, but who haven't gotten the chance to play yet. . . yay for wii!

yeah, i'd be down with a disc golf game for the wii.

all kidding aside, the sensors in the wii-motes are pretty sensitive and if done properly, it could be a really cool concept...

I did a search on Yahoo! and all I could come up with was an Ultimate/Golf Frisbee game. It was for the Nintendo DS System. I had no idea they had any games dealing with disc golf.

There's a disc golf DS game? I had no idea.. although I can't say I expect it to be any good. I'll have to do some investigating.

Wow, that does sound terrible. I'm glad I don't have a DS, otherwise I might destroy it for fear of it turning all of the sport of DiscGolf into a waste of money and an unplayable game. :eek:

I bought a Wii when it first came out, and have been in love with it ever since. I think a disc golf game would be sweet. I read something about it before I read it here, I wanna say it was ign.com because that's where I get my video game info, but I haven't double checked.

There is a game for the Wii that came out recently called "Game Party" it is a 8-9 mini-games that you would play at a party. In this you can play "beer pong" and darts. If the can make a game that has you throwing balls in cups and darts at boards I think they can work out the accuracy of disc golf.

Originally packaged with the Wii was "Wii Sports" and in the baseball part all you do is pitch or hit, but the game is a lot of fun. With the pitching I've found the not only do button combinations change your pitch, but the angle you throw the "ball" can change too.

So, finally to my point, why wouldn't they be able to come up with an accurate disc golf game? They have plenty of "ball golf" games that work great. I thin with the Wii-mote you would be able to throw "forehand" or "backhand" or "hammer" and the game should be able to recognize that. Also if while throwing you hold either the "A" or "B" button to pick whether you want the disc to slice or hook. One of the manufactures could sponsor the game so that their discs would be used in the game and you could rotate through a bag full of choices from driver to putter, slice to roller.

Well that is my thought on the subject, whether they make a game or not, and whether it's as cool as I hope it could be...that's left to be seen.

In the PDGA renewal letter I got yesterday, a PDGA Disc Golf game for the Wii was one of the things mentioned as an exciting thing coming up for 2008. No timetable or details, just a bullet point in the list.

I don't have high hopes that the game will be any good but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

LOL.. just that I doubt a lot of resources will be allocated to make this a great game since disc golf isn't the most popular sport in the world. The fact that it will be available only on the wii download services hints at the depth we can expect.

I can only imagine all the broken TV screens that will result from the wii-mote flying out of gamers' hands on those long opening drives. Ha, ha, ha!