• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc in tree, best removal technique?

is that Horizons?

Yep, holes #2 and #14 if you don't get it going right. I saw too different groups spent about 45 minutes each the other day going after discs in trees on #2. Later I found out they were going after the same disc evidently, and the disc wasn't the guy's who got it down.

at a course i play at 4-5 times a week, there is a rough off to the left of hole 7 where a bunch of branches have grown together to form a canopy of sorts for a span of about 70 feet around 20 or so feet off the ground. if you wind up on top of it, you pretty much have no choice but to leave it there because it's completely inaccessible by any means whatsoever. it's impenetrable from the underside, and its so thick in most parts that you probably wont even be able to see where it is.

i'll bet that big canopy has at least 20-30 discs resting in it. i've seen 6 get stuck up there in groups i play with and spent hours looking in the area underneath it looking for discs belonging to friends, refusing to believe the canopy caught it and it magically cut through somehow. but it's always the same story...

a lot of very nice plastic has been thrown into it. i need to figure out how to get up there

Mayhap you could try what I did to get over a 6'+ set of briars:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?p=428338#post428338

Use 2xs to create "steps" and walk your way up to the top. If you do this and you get discs, don't forget to pay me my tribute in plastic.

With a baseball background a baseball or a rock works best for me, but cedar trees eat everything you throw at them, so my buddies and I just man up and climb in.

With a baseball background a baseball or a rock works best for me, but cedar trees eat everything you throw at them, so my buddies and I just man up and climb in.

Yeah, I don't doubt they'd hold a baseball. Thats why the tape measure idea is actually looking good. Gonna have to get one of those "Fat Max" ones.

My home course has two holes teeing off directly at cedar trees that seem to love to hold onto discs.

I saw two morons throwing drinks the other day at a disc stuck in one.

Well this moron (me) was throwing my drink (Gatorade 1/2 full) and it got my disc out of a tree the other day. It knocked down one that I didn't even see in the process. Star Destroyer with no name.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't doubt they'd hold a baseball. Thats why the tape measure idea is actually looking good. Gonna have to get one of those "Fat Max" ones.
They're not that cheap but I've rescued plenty of discs so I think it's paid for itself. You can't throw a hockey puck past a barbed wire fence and get your disc back.

******edit******

Why did I just pick on the hockey puck guy?

zenbot<-----is jerk

Last edited:
I use my extendable retriever pole. It extends 15 feet with a double hook on the end. Works for getting them out of the creek, snagging and picking up on the walk by without bending over, holding over my head when the Kites start swooping, etc....

They're only like $12.00 at any golf supply store, sporting goods stores, and the like. Just cut off the golf ball end and install some kind of hook. They're even good to use as a light hiking pole for those who are getting up in age and their body is not co-operating.

One time mine got stuck up in a tree. So i threw another disc and it got stuck. So finally i got them both down with another disc. So i dont recommend using another disc.

I usually just stand there until a wind storm comes along, or until my beer runs out. :D

Mayhap you could try what I did to get over a 6'+ set of briars:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?p=428338#post428338

Use 2xs to create "steps" and walk your way up to the top. If you do this and you get discs, don't forget to pay me my tribute in plastic.

wait so how is this supposed to get discs out of a 20 foot high canopy of hard branches grown together in a tapestry? maybe i'm reading this wrong

also you guys shouldn't throw drink bottles up into tress, not only are you shaking up your drink, but you also run the risk of getting the bottle stuck up there. i think most people here know of a particular troublesome tree on a given local course that's full of garbage from people throwing their junk up there to try to get a disc down. there are several at my home course

yeah, you put the 2x4 at the base of the canopy, stomp it down, put another 2x4 in front of that, stomp it down...repeat till you get to the middle of the canopy. much like how they make crop circles...am i wrong?

i got that much, but the canopy doesn't have a base. it's like 2 parallel lines of trees that are all fully grown to about the same height, and have started to grow together between the line near the tops about 20 feet up. almost literally together, branches twist and bend around one another and form a blanket of sorts that stretch between the two rows of trees.

i can't see any possible way to get up there that wouldn't involve injury. its too high to climb, and i highly doubt the canopy of branches is strong enough to support someones weight. the only real way i can see someone getting the discs out of there is with a cherry picker or a genie lift, then reaching out with a long apparatus and scooping the discs off of the platform

i got that much, but the canopy doesn't have a base. it's like 2 parallel lines of trees that are all fully grown to about the same height, and have started to grow together between the line near the tops about 20 feet up. almost literally together, branches twist and bend around one another and form a blanket of sorts that stretch between the two rows of trees.

i can't see any possible way to get up there that wouldn't involve injury. its too high to climb, and i highly doubt the canopy of branches is strong enough to support someones weight. the only real way i can see someone getting the discs out of there is with a cherry picker or a genie lift, then reaching out with a long apparatus and scooping the discs off of the platform

mission impossible...i'm telling ya, if there's enough good discs up there, you'll get them. use a saws-all if you have to

I use these things called rocks, they're pretty convenient. The hockey puck is a pretty good idea though, that would mos def take less space in the bag than a baseball. My telescoping baton came in handy fishing some discs from the water's edge the other day.

Of course, nothing beats a good jousting lance, I usually make one of my minstrels carry one just in case.

Latest posts