• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

disc plastics

CheRoqs

was wondering if there really is a huge difference in the disc plastics... ive been told star and champion are the best...if i wanted to dye them, but im more into playing and learning the game more before i start to dye discs. all opinions are good ones, so please set me straight.....thanks.:confused:

Personally I think star and champ (or the discraft equivalent) are way more durable and will last you longer than something in basic, DX plastic.

Also, as far as putters go, I'm pretty sure that Vibram makes the highest quality, most durable putters out there.

when starting out, baseline plastics like DX and Pro, D and elite X are probably fine

thats very helpful...have been looking for a durable putter since i play a lot of wooded courses will look into vibram thank you.

thats very helpful...have been looking for a durable putter since i play a lot of wooded courses will look into vibram thank you.

That's what I'm here for!
To be helpful....just ask anybody:)

I gotta get this in before someone hijacks this thread, bc its DGCR inevitable.

Obviously the hi end lines in any brand are the "best", BUT...

Go with what literally feels good for you. Ppl can tell you the difference in d vs. pro d, champ vs. z, etc. but you gotta throw what feels good to you and throws good for you reguardless.

we all throw some discs in the D lines, some in the higher end lines, totally depends on the purpose and function and the flight you're looking for.

I prefer me champs (or Z in Discraft). :) Star is OK too, but I don't care for the slick feel -- for me, they are harder to grip in the cold. Almost everything I carry is premium plastic; all I carry in cheaper plastic is my Dragon for certain water shots. I used to carry some Elite X and DX plastic, but stopped using it. Once I got used to the disc, it would break in and never fly the same (or dent badly when I hit a tree) -- I hated that. :) Champs are much more durable and has a nice grip. In Discraft, I really like the FLX plastic as well -- I carry a Surge FLX mainly for cold days when I need some extra grip.

Garret

for a putter, fancy plastics are good for driving putters, but stick with cheap stuff for putting

^^Nope, I got dibs, Triflusal.

In reality, I recommend DX or Pro D simply because it is cheaper. It allows you to try out more different molds until you find something you like without putting quite so much of a dent in your wallet. As you find things you like, you can try them out in some of the "higher quality" plastics.

when i try a new disc, i almost always buy it in the baseline plastic first, and if i like it, i'll buy the premium version of it. that way, i'll have a pristine and super durable version of that disc as well as a nicely broken-in and predictable one. i love innova's star plastic and discraft's z plastic

Love my Opto plastic and my Grip plastic Pure. A lot of inconsistency's in the same mold with different plastics.

Yes, the plastic types are all different, it just depends what you're looking for. There are quite a few threads on this I believe, but for durability- Champ or Star, grip- Pro or DX. Also something to keep in mind, discs will fly with slight differences depending on plastic...

And beat up baseline putters FTW! :thmbup:

aj

champ/z, followed by star/esp plastics, are noticably more durable and best suited to drivers. for mids and putters, a lot of people prefer softer plastics that they plan on replacing after a certain amount of wear.

was wondering if there really is a huge difference in the disc plastics... ive been told star and champion are the best...if i wanted to dye them, but im more into playing and learning the game more before i start to dye discs. all opinions are good ones, so please set me straight.....thanks.:confused:
IMO, the cheap plastics are way better for beginners. Most of the best beginners discs were designed to fly well in those plastics, they're easier to control, cheaper to replace and fly farther than their more expensive counterparts. Plus, seeing how a disc changes as it beats in and the advantages to throwing beat discs are much more apparent. If you chose molds right, you'll rarely, if ever have to actually replace discs because they beat too much and don't fly well anymore. You'll either lose them or they'll eventually break into pieces but it takes years for that to happen normally.