• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc recommendation that really surprised you?

flash86

Birdie Member
Have any of you bought or started throwing a disc on whim because a friend or someone else recommended it to you and were shocked or surprised at how well it worked for you?

A few weeks back, I was on the course with some of the locals and I happened to mention that I wished I had an overstable disc in between a Roc and Firebired. Somebody mentioned a Whippet, but I told them I already tried the KC Pro Whippet and I hated it. They said I should really try a Champion Whippet because it performed much better.

Later that night, I went online and found a Glow Champion Whippet-X and added that to some other new discs I was picking up. I got the order a few days later and started throwing it in an open field. I liked it much better than the KC Pro Whippet.

I liked it even better when I got out to the course. In the five rounds I have played with it so far, I have had several ace runs with it. I have hit dead center of the chains only to watch it spit out, I have hit the side of the basket twice, hit pole once and three very close skip-by's. I have a very strong feeling this will be my first ace disc. Needless to say, this disc has earned a permanent spot in my bag already.

Anyone else have a similar "surprise" with a disc based on a passing recommendation?

i came upon the whippet in the same way for short fh shots. my best surprise recomendation was from some old man baggers during a mini who suggested that i try a teebird for controlled FH shots. i was using pretty much a max for all FH shots. well i went to a field and tried this with some CE teebirds and eagles that i had, but had never thrown, they were genius. now i can flick anything i can throw backhand, my favorite thing to do is throw a roadrunner flick down a tunnel and watch it turn left just as if i had thrown a backhand shot, awesome stuff...

i dont know if i have ever been surprised by a recommendation but i have been very pleased with several. . . #1 a GATOR, rhfh upshots have become so much more consistent and acurate with this disc. #2 a Firebird, i wanted to be able to pinpoint thumbers like the rest of the guys playing in the minis around me. The firebird allowed me to do just that.

I probably would have never tried discraft if it werent for the misprint deal. Also I have a couple of gateway discs because of this site and reccomendations from other members.

Comets. Got a Z because I had some $ in the paypal account and I haven't thrown a Roc since.

My buddy got me hooked on the QMS. I got him hooked on Teebirds, Buzzzes, Nebula's and Impacts though so I think he owes me a couple more.

The best recommendation I got was probably a Valk although I didn't like it at first. Now that I know how to throw with proper form I love it.

The KC Roc was probably the worst disc recommendation I got. It was my first Roc and hated it, still hate it. I got a Star Roc from a tourney and love it, then I bought a DX flat top roc and love it. The KC is the only one I don't like so far.

Sentinels. I was having problems flipping new DX Rocs and the flat tops were rumored to be out of production at the time. Dave D posted something on the PDGA site about the Sentinel being the closest thing to a flat top Roc so I threw some. I really wasn't expecting much, I anticipated that they would be meathook overstable and not very useful for me. To my surprise they are long and straight with a predictable fade, like a Roc that you don't have to worry about flipping. They were exactly what I was looking for. They kicked the KC Rocs and flat top Rocs out of my bag.

Later the Z Comet kicked the rest of the Rocs out of my bag. That wasn't as much as a surprise as the Sentinel, but the combined effect for me is a bag with no Rocs. That is a major surprise to me. In a couple of months I'll be one year Roc-free. Do I get a patch or anything?

I have a Sentinel MF in Sirius and its pretty meaty.

I tried a kc pro roc and hated it because of the feel and lack of flexibility. I also tried a flash that apparently no one at the local club likes. I threw that thing 325' straight as an arrow. I loved it.

This wasn't really a recommendation, but a few months back I found an Innova XD lodged in a tree on my home course. Initially I wondered what the heck a beat up putter with no name on it was doing on that part of the fairway, but I took it home and threw it in my practice box. After a week of practicing in the back yard I knew this disc was a keeper. Now my XDs are my go to discs for most mid-range situations. I can get that disc to do all sorts of things in the air and have even used it on drives where I need accuracy more than power.

Yeah my wife thanks CraigD for spreading his XD infection...uh affection.

She still putts with it 50/50 (I think she forgets she has the voodoo) but it is almost always her second throw.

Comets. Got a Z because I had some $ in the paypal account and I haven't thrown a Roc since.

I'm the same exact way except I use the ESP Comet

I also asked for an Aviar but more thin and I was recommended the Innova XD. I love it for really short anhyzer shots and it is a life saver when I have to straddle putt around something

Last edited:
Ching's Legacy mid range disc. bought it on a whim and love it. The shallow rim on it is amazing, and it flies farther and straighter than my roc

i threw the drone when i was first starting and would always get mad when it didn't go straight, now it's my main mid range next to the buzzz and one of my favorite discs, it just surprised me that a disc i at one point hated so much is now a huge staple in my bag

The Impact and ESP Surge were my biggest surprises. Hubby decided I had to have both of them and they've turned out to be staples in my bag.

The discraft Stratus I got with me PDGA membership. Love the grip it gives me when I'm doing a realy percise throw.

I can't say there was one specific disc that someone told me to get that blew my mind away. I had people tell me to get an overstable driver and when I finally picked up a TeeRex and learned it a bit it blew my mind.

The disc that I reccomended to myself that has recently blown my mind is the Zone. Somewhere in the middle of playing today I become completely amazed at how accurate the disc was for me even when I missed putts it was right there more than any other putter I have ever thrown. It wasn't supposed to become my go to driver but it just might be that.

I would say Champ Monarch because they had too much glide for me to get there.

Champ Monarch gives me huge anny to right where I want it. I guess it doesn't like the trees too but loves to go in between them.

Buzzz

The Buzzz, oh no wait, that didn't surprise me with all of your talk about it on the site.

Latest posts