• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc speed? Is Faster better?

discinvan

Par Member
I have been playing for about 5 months and I play often. I think I started playing with disc too fast for me. My fastest disc are Innova speed 11, A beast that i started playing with back in May, an orc and a monarch. I was practicing my driving the other day and I surprise myself that I am throwing my slower speed disc just as far as my faster discs. Does any one have any opinions or knowledge of how far you should be able to throw before going to faster discs. My drives are around 250' . It just seems wierd to me that I can almost drive my aviar as far as my beast. I am wondering if I bag the faster disc for a couple months if will make a difference in my driving or should just keep playing with the faster discs and the extra distance will come.

It sounds like you want to improve, so my comments are based on that.

Defiantly park the drivers. In your case, faster is not better...yet. With good form you should be able to throw your putter 250'. If that is all the distance you are getting from Beast, you probably need to work on your form.

You are going to want to go here: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/ On the left of your screen will be a menu. There is a place called "Resources." You are going to want to read everything you can there. After that, you are going to want to throw putters and mid-ranges and work on your form. When you start to see good results from you mid, you are going to wan to get a Cyclone or Gazelle and start throwing that. Those discs will help you learn how to throw a driver and are easier to learn line shaping with. Some experience with those discs will open your eyes to possible routes you can't take advantage of right now.

There is also a forum on Disc Golf Review where you can ask questions, post a video of your throw, etc., and get feedback. It is really the best active resource out there right now unless there is a good player in your area that does not mind giving lessons.

After some practice on your form and some experience with some slower discs, you can move back to the high-speed drivers. You should see a major improvement in your distance. It will not happen overnight, but given some time and some hard work it will happen.

Parking your drivers is an excellent idea, but you'll still need one for the course. Without a shadow of a doubt the best driver on the market is the TEEBIRD. Why? Becasue they are slow enough (speed 7) to fly excellently and predictably if you throw gently, however the notch means they are also more than capable of taking 400ft of power without loosing their predictability. This disc is a incredibly reliable and will reward your technique. Its disc you can use whatever level you are. And it will bomb. My God it will bomb!

I throw 330-350 consistently, destroyers are too fast for me, Surges and Avengers will go that far for me , but man TeeBirds. Wow. Theses discs are just amasing. Dx will beat in and begin to fade the wrong way, and champ with be super predictable into a headwind.

Latest posts