• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Disc to Get the Ladyfriend Hooked?

The disc that got my fiance hooked and starting to ask me to go play before I would bring it up was a 150 class Z Storm. They are OOP, but she loves them. So when they come up for sale that means I usually have to buy it for her, which also means a couple new pieces of plastic for me:thmbup:

True. My wife could throw that think really far (for her). I missed that disc now.

I recently bought my wife a Gateway starter set which includes: Sabre (Driver), Element (Mid Range), and the Wizard (Putter).

I also agree with those who have mentioned the Diamond as a good starting point.

For my wife being brand new to the sport, colors were important. Her Sabre is hot pink and she loves it.

Start her out with a light Buzzz, then give her the King Cobra.

He already gave her the King Cobra. That's why she's his gf right? :)

My best friend who..... is the size of a thick girl (120-130 lbs.) throws a sidewinder.

Not sure when 120-130 became a thick girl. Maybe if we're talking a 12 year old.

Lighter DX Leopard
X or Z Buzzz or Comet
Whatever putter

The one disc I had that I had early on and that I felt I could control out of the box was a panther. I'm sure there are others, but I have the most success introducing new players to disc golf if I give them a midrange or similar. Some people don't like the feel of mids though, and then the driver like feel of the panther or similar may do the trick.

Starlite RRs are really good low power first discs. I'd group one with a Pearl/150 class Gator for midrange work, and then whatever putter she likes. Low profile putters seem to be the favorites. My wife doesn't use a putter until she knows she's putting it in the chains, so mids for approaching are more important than whatever putter mold she's carrying.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

I'll be bringing her out to our local shop to let her actually get a feel and see what she likes, but I've now got plenty of options to suggest. Diamond seems to be the favorite so far, I'll probably nudge her toward that. As for the other Dimond, currently saving up so maybe she'll end up with two not long from now :D

Thanks again everybody!

Sorry I seem to be jumping in a little late, but find a disc she likes aesthetically that she can handle throwing. She won't give a crap about flight ratings or how discs "should" fly. If she likes the disc and is excited to throw it it will go a lot better from my experience.

I have tried to force feed my fiance discs that she "should" throw, a 150 Leopard, a 160's Buzzz, a Diamond, etc. This past weekend I got her an opaque Eclipse Glo Proton Tangent because she loved how it looks and she is throwing it better than any other disc. So here is we operate now; when we are looking at buying discs she looks for the ones that she likes how it looks, and then asks me if she could throw it very well. It seems to work for us anyway.

The Latitude 64 Pearl and Diamond seem to fit the bill here, but can not go wrong with a Stingray.

I like light leopards and gazelles, but the Stingray is amazing for low power players and beginners that may have thrown a frisbee before but not a golf disc. It's the original tweener- almost a driver, faster than a putter and a lot of midranges. My buddy wanted to get his gf into disc golf so she could play with us. She can throw an ultrastar better than the average beginner, and the stingray was basically a farther, faster "frisbee." When new, they have some stability too, so they can even be cycled for lower power players till they are ready for a Buzzz or Roc. Once they start to flip, they don't tkae much effort to throw hyzer flips or turnovers.

Latitude Pearl/Ruby/Diamond are great and they will also never wear out if she ends up liking them.

If I was going to get beginner discs for someone, some of these would be my choice. Look, feel, and throw great.

150 class leo. She now also has a 150 star aviar, 150 SEX (she thinks this is hilarious and uses to for overstable duties), 150 11x kcp cheetah ( got a good deal on it and it was pearly pink, so i had to get it for her), 150 dx shark (stable/understable),and a 166 core (Over stable mid). She doesn't bomb discs and is tiny but has great form actually and loves to come play. She can beat some of the dudes at the course :D

My lady throws significantly better with a 170 ESP Meteor than anything else she's tried. There's a Diamond and a 150 Leo just sort of taking up space in her bag.

The disc that got my fiance hooked and starting to ask me to go play before I would bring it up was a 150 class Z Storm. They are OOP, but she loves them. So when they come up for sale that means I usually have to buy it for her, which also means a couple new pieces of plastic for me:thmbup:

Ya I was thinking something in the 150 class. They are sooooo easy to get good range with and you dont even need a run up.

Definitely should get her a buzzz or a Comet. Can't go wrong either way. The X Comet is a fantastic learning tool!

Latest posts