• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft/Disney Star Wars franchise partnership.

I honestly don't think this will grow the sport by the way of casuals taking more of an interest, just because a frisbee has a cool stamp they recognize.

Only took a Disc Golf video game to get me into it!

If non-DG people buy them, and that eventually gets those folks to take up disc golf, and buy stock stamp discs does it make sense then?

This is clearly one of the big reasons for securing the licensing. Sure, there's an element of the existing disc golf market that likes Star Wars and will snap up the new stamps (just like there was for DD and Marvel) but it's just as much about marketing outside the DG marketplace. Catch people's eye with the Star Wars and draw them into the game once their attention is captured. It's less about Star Wars stamps and logos in the disc golf world and more about Discraft (and disc golf) in the Star Wars world.

Well, I bought my 5 yr old son one of the Vader ones. Hes gonna love it!

Here's the other reason. I know I sold a bunch of the Marvel licensed DD discs to parents buying for their kids. I imagine the same will happen with Star Wars licensed stuff. Kids love this stuff, and kids are the future of the game, so what's to lose?

Frankly though, what's the downside for the game overall? What is there to be confused or skeptical about? If it isn't a money maker for Discraft, they'll take the loss and give up the licensing and that will be that. If it doesn't "grow the sport", so what? If you don't like Star Wars or the full foil stamps from Discraft, no one's holding a gun to your head to buy them. Not every product has to meet to your liking to be viable.

Discraft will sell alot of discs this Holiday season....to existing disc golf players.

How could they NOT make one of these on a Force?!?!??11?

The Buzzz is a good mold and all, but I'm not currently bagging one

Am I the only one who's not too impressed by those stamps?

Edit: ^ Yes, and not putting any of these on a Force is insane.

Admittedly it's been a while since I ordered SuperColor discs, but there used to be a limited number of molds available to do the full foil stamps (Spectra, Buzzz, and Challenger IIRC). No idea if that's still the case or not, but it could be why the first releases are all on Buzzzes. But regardless of that, Buzzz is far and away their best selling disc. Shouldn't be a shock that they're starting there.

Key word being starting there. I doubt the licensing is a one-off. Surely they have more in the works, and will make other molds available soon. Hate to keep drawing the comparison (it's the only thing close to similar) but DD didn't roll out all their Marvel stuff in one go. I believe they started with one, maybe two molds with the Captain America Shield Dyemax then expanded from there.

I see the OP read that Ultiworld article as well.

No way Discraft does this.

Way too expensive to license.

I'm sure the contract has some sort of language to ensure that Discraft only uses the licensed images on disc-golf-specific products. In that way, Discraft won't be in direct competition with other licensees that sell (just a few) balloons, holiday cards, paper plates, light-up sneakers...

So in that way, the Discraft license deal is less expensive, because it only applies to a smaller/niche market. However, there's no doubt that Star Wars branded discs are noticeably more expensive than their generic counterparts. For that reason, there's plenty of incentive for both Discraft and the license holders to make this deal, because they're opening up profit margin in new market space.

Don't forget, we've already seen the same thing happen with Marvel-branded discs from Trilogy.

These look great, but aren't on a disc I would throw and they are not cheap. Pass for now.

Are these discs limited drops or something? huge missed opportunity if not.

Just when I forget how negative disc golfers can be, I click on this thread...

Dudes, this rules. I throw Discraft. I live for Star Wars. I will buy probably all of these discs.
You think the collector's market is insane now ? Wait until they release a disc with Boba Fett on it. I'll nerd out so hard that I'll need to wear glasses again.

You crabby crabs pipe down. This is good stuff.

Yikes, this is a bad sign for disc golf. Disney demands top dollar for rights, so if Discraft is able to afford them it means that Disney took a long look at disc golf and figured out that it will never reach higher exposure and lowered the price. Unless Discraft actually did pay top dollar in which case they made a terrible investment.

Yikes, this is a bad sign for disc golf. Disney demands top dollar for rights, so if Discraft is able to afford them it means that Disney took a long look at disc golf and figured out that it will never reach higher exposure and lowered the price. Unless Discraft actually did pay top dollar in which case they made a terrible investment.

Do you have any idea what you are talking about here? This is such a bizarre statement?

I've licensed a few different products with Disney + other licensing companies over the years. Disney were actually surprisingly and refreshingly easy to deal with and tied us into smaller minimum guarantees than some other licensing companies. (The MG is the thing most likely to make or break the deal for "smaller" companies dealing with them, the actual royalty per product is normally between about 8 and 15% of the wholesale price achieved which is easy to factor into your costings, the MG will be a flat 5/10/20/50k a year and you pay this whether you get the sales or not and whether you even end up making the product) I think we paid around 10k a year from memory for a multi territory license with small increases available if we wanted to take it into new markets. They do both territorial and worldwide licenses and for a niche market like this I wouldn't expect the MG's to be too crazy.

Disney insist on great transparency in the supply chain as well which I personally appreciate, many of the other licensing companies don't give a damn as long as they are making a buck. The Disney audit is tough to pass and requires the workforce involved to be well looked after and not exploited.

Discraft will have done their sums and had their sales channels ready. I can't really see how this would ever be bad for Disc Golf unless you're in the shrink the sport camp.

I'm imagining Discraft will be using these licenses to help them open doors with buyers for larger chainstores, having major licenses never hurts with buyers. Having Star Wars images on the discs will draw outside the sport Star Wars fans to the product.

I'm imagining Discraft will be using these licenses to help them open doors with buyers for larger chainstores, having major licenses never hurts with buyers. Having Star Wars images on the discs will draw outside the sport Star Wars fans to the product.

Bwahaha, ok then. But thanks for the insights on Disney licensing. Question: do you think if you were actually a meaningful business that it would be so easy to negotiate a deal in your favor? Not a loaded question, honestly curious. In my experience the bigger the stakes the tighter the cheeks.

Maybe they will put in a DG course at Disney World. Have it loop through the jungle cruise ride.... Of course they have an entire sports park... so maybe that will be it. I should be going to disney next year i wonder if i should take my bag.

Maybe they will put in a DG course at Disney World. Have it loop through the jungle cruise ride.... Of course they have an entire sports park... so maybe that will be it. I should be going to disney next year i wonder if i should take my bag.

If Disney made a world class disc golf course as a result of the disc golf partnership I will switch to all Discraft out of gratitude.

Latest posts