• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft Stamp Removal

Yunyammka

So i've read that Discraft stamps are difficult to remove, and i was wondering if pouring a small layer of Acetone into a pie pan and then putting the disc face down into it would allow the Acetone to do some more work on the stamp before you try and take it off with a Cotton ball or Q tip. Also is there any potential for the Acetone damaging the disc or making the stamp bleed if you let it soak that way? I throw mostly discraft but would like to start having some custom stamps on my discs. I haven't read of anyone trying this or if it would be more/less effective than just trying to wipe the stamp directly. Any insight would be helpful and appreciated.

Aside from the problem of taking them off, they leave behind a clear ghost of the stamp, where the plastic has a completely different texture.

Contrast with Lat64 where it is only barely noticable - if at all.

I've read about that, i'm not super concerned with the Ghost stamp but i'd like to get the existing stamp off, and not have to spend forever rubbing at it with acetone, and so i figured i might be able to soak it a bit

soaking in acetone can definitely ruin the surface of the disc. On esp it will take off the finish and it will feel real chalky. I would also worry about the ink from the stamp traveling around in the pool of acetone and finding its way permanently into some of the bare unstamped part of the disc.

the only stamps from discraft i have ever had a difficult time removing are the black ones. specifically black on yellow z.

if you have discs with a white stamp on Z they might actually be one of the easier stamps to remove it just takes more paper towel.

Do not soak in acetone it will mess you disc up. I've said this before but acetone is a denaturing solvent, it actually changes the the plastic it comes in contact with for extended periods of time. (try dripping it on Styrofoam once). since it evaporates quickly, rubbing it on the disc with paper towel is pretty harmless but soaking will be bad.

i dye a lot of discraft, avoid black stamps and you'll be fine.

I took a black stamp off my yellow Z stalker Sunday. Put acetone on a rag, put the disc down on a flat, stable workbench, leaned on that sucker and rubbed like I was using steel wool to remove rust off a metal part. It worked. Just gotta put some elbow grease into it, and be persistent. Rub fast and hard, keep your rag moist but not completely saturated. Rotate the rag around as you work when it starts to get really black to get fresh cloth.

Awesome, i figured there would probably be an issue with soaking the disc but i figured i'd check and see if maybe i'd get lucky, but oh well lots of scrubbing more me. Velocity have you tried dyeing the Elite X? i know the cheaper plastics don't usually take well but I'd like to put some dye's on my putter's i'm not looking for anything complicated just something to make em a bit different. I just wasn't sure if Dye would take on a Soft APX

don't soak. use a cotton ball or a q-tip to get into the tough spots. they will leave the ghost stamp in many instances, but a great dye will help to look right over that. good luck.

Elite X plastic takes dye extremely well, However it fades insanely fast. a sweet dye job will look great on X plastic for about a month, but after that it will fade and after around 2 months it will hardly be recognizable.

Softer more porous plastics tend to have this issue. I would also avoid dyeing FLX plastic for this reason. Although FLX fades initially pretty quickly but then just keeps the crisp but faded look for quite some time.

I took a black stamp off my yellow Z stalker Sunday. Put acetone on a rag, put the disc down on a flat, stable workbench, leaned on that sucker and rubbed like I was using steel wool to remove rust off a metal part. It worked. Just gotta put some elbow grease into it, and be persistent. Rub fast and hard, keep your rag moist but not completely saturated. Rotate the rag around as you work when it starts to get really black to get fresh cloth.

also i try to avoid doing exactly this. despite successfully removing the stamp i'm betting you can see exactly where you rubbed like a mofo on that disc (when you tilt it in the light that area wont glare). Its a personal pet peeve of mine when you can see people who did a beautiful dye on a disc where they went savage style on the stamp removal.

Ah good to know, my APX will be my first dye so i'm going with something thats not to complicated, i want to put the Imperial symbol on one and then the Rebel symbol on my other APX. I'm hoping that even with the fading it will still be discernable

Your complaint here is well founded. However, I can't help but notice that you didn't offer a superior alternative technique! What method do you use?

also i try to avoid doing exactly this. despite successfully removing the stamp i'm betting you can see exactly where you rubbed like a mofo on that disc (when you tilt it in the light that area wont glare). Its a personal pet peeve of mine when you can see people who did a beautiful dye on a disc where they went savage style on the stamp removal.

Your complaint here is well founded. However, I can't help but notice that you didn't offer a superior alternative technique! What method do you use?

Soft paper towel and as little acetone as possible are the best route. Every time I have used a q-tip to get a tough spot I have gotten very visible streaks where the qtip was used, so I have stopped using those for stamp removal.

Never had any issues with paper towel (just make sure you don't use paper towel with color in it).

The wedge shaped make up remover pads and acetone have worked WONDERS for me. $1 for about 12 or so of the pads at Dollar Tree and they are much, much softer than paper towel.

I've never ever had a problem dying anything that was Lat64 dynamic discs or westside. I always always have problems dying discraft and innova. The bleeds are bad and they leave a sticky residue when I peel the vinyl away. GL plastic, and Lucid plastic doesnt.

More than 90% of the 40-50 discs I've dyed have been Discraft and they didn't seem that bad, not nearly as bad as MVP!. Velocity is right about how scrubbing will be very noticeable. I've never tried the make up wedges, I use paper towel or jumbo cotton balls. Red and black seem to be the most difficult to remove. Be careful not to move too fast or with too much acetone or you might smear and stain the disc.

Disc Stamp Removal

Hey Does Anyone Know What Disc's Can Have Their Stamp Removed From.

Latest posts