• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Discraft Surge question

Nick C

Birdie Member
I recently "lost" my best driver, ESP Avenger (pretty sure this group of kids took it) and replaced it with an ESP Surge which I will throw for the first time later today. The Avenger was a 174g but this new Surge is 170g. Is that weight change going to make much of a difference? (Don't know if it matters for this question but I throw RHBH)

I don't really know about the weight but I am glad to see you switch to the surge, best disc I ever bought. I really hope you like it.

nah you should be fine. i throw 174 bosses for my go to driver but i have a 170 esp surge and i love it for shorter holes around 300'. got my first ace with it!!!

Surge is less overstable than the Avenger, so with the weight difference it will probably seem more pronounced. I bet you can drive farther with it though.

nah you should be fine. i throw 174 bosses for my go to driver but i have a 170 esp surge and i love it for shorter holes around 300'. got my first ace with it!!!

Mind if I ask how far your boss if going?

The Surge is a little less stable than the Avenger and should go farther and straighter. The 4g weight difference shouldn't be a big deal, just a very minor adjustment. My only ace is with a 173g FLX Surge.

the surge will most likely go longer, but if you overpower it you can turn it over, so ALWAYS release it at a slight hyzer angle if your looking for a straight shot, the surge has a tiny bit of high speed turn, whereas the avenger does not, the surge is pretty much the avenger with a little high speed turn. the weight shouldn't make much of a difference, long live surges

I throw 171 Surge ESP 's and they go further and straighter than anything I have tried. If I had to play with only two discs, they would be the Surge ESP 171 and the GT Banger 173-174. Total confidence in them.

Yeah, a bit difference i guess but the maximum is 174 grams.This disc is great for windy condition so if you have 170 grams you can still handle it.

Just ordered an ESP Surge 174g and am currently waiting for it to arrive.

Love the Surge! I actually have a 150 class Elite X... Goes for miles... Awesome awesome S curve

I have two esp Surges, one in 167 and on in 168. They tend to turnover and smash into the ground before they complete their 's' for me. How much height do these things need to complete their flight? I've had some of my farthest throws when it does.

i can't "S" surges i overpower them, thats what the force is for, the surge is great for a slight hyzer release for a long straight flight with a small fade

the surge holds a long S for me... i can drive it about 350.

i dont think i have a TON of snap, but some.

a force is probably too overstable for me to do much with (as perspective).

Love the Surge! I actually have a 150 class Elite X... Goes for miles... Awesome awesome S curve

My 169 and 171 ESP Surge's are my favorite drivers (prefer the 171). My 150 X Surge is my least favorite disc I own. Everytime I throw it, it flips over after about 10 feet and flops to the ground. Would just LOVE to trade this one away.

My 150 X Surge is my least favorite disc I own. Everytime I throw it, it flips over after about 10 feet and flops to the ground. Would just LOVE to trade this one away.
What/how much would you like for it?????

Not sure really.. I'd like a heavyish Roc.... I'm also looking for either a 173ish Z Avenger SS (to replace one I lost which I liked a lot), a heavy esp or flx buzz, heavy z or flx drone, z flick in 170's, or a whippet. I'd do the roc straight up, but for the others in the more premium plastics I could throw in a couple bucks...

So I like the Surge but I'm not convinced yet that I like it better than the Avenger I lost. The Surge seems to have a wider rim to it than the Avenger and I like a bit of a thinner one (one of the reason's i'm not a huge fan of the Force) Maybe I just need to beat it in for a while longer

Latest posts