• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Discraft Surge

cboucher

Par Member
Hey guys,

I recently got a Surge in ESP plastic (very grippy, nice stuff). I've never thrown one or known anyone who's thrown one so I'm not sure what to expect. I won a CTP in our monthly bag tag tournament and the prize was a free club stamped disc. All the discs were Discraft and they were out of both buzzzes and comets, so I figured I'd try out a Discraft driver since all of my drivers are Innova. So, I picked out what I thought was an Avenger SS, but it turned out to be a Surge. Have any of you guys thrown Surges? What do you think of them?

They're fantastic, extremely similar in speed and stability to a wraith.

yeah i had one as a water disc...

it ended up in the water.

and i didnt shed a tear to add to the water.

surge in the sig. GReat disc. Like a Wraith, but for me Surge is a touch more Understable. Very fast straight flight, comfy in the hand. they are nice.

I'll have to get out at lunch tomorrow and throw it. I really like the feel/grip of this particular run of ESP plastic, so hopefully it'll fly well too. Thanks for the input guys...

I have a sweet ESP and love it. grips great, feels good, its fast and makes nice S shapes, but its on the cusp so too much power or OAT will make it US , but lip it up and it may hyzer, just release flat and good follow through, its a great disc.

That's awesome that you got a Surge... I thought I should weigh in though I haven't thrown one in a couple years. They are a very solid disc if it's light enough or you can get enough power on it it can be laser straight and very far flying. I switched to the Surge mid tournament one time, first large windy course I'd played on and it was much better than my ESP Crush or lightweight Orc.

The front end and back end stability are fairly proportional so it's a great disc to bend an S curve with too. My only complaint was different stabilities or inconsistencies between discs, I had two that I loved and two that weren't quite the same.

the surge is a great driver the you have three high in plastic to choose from as well I like the flat z ones for fh and esp for bh. very neutral disc for a distance driver.

I got a chance to throw it a little at lunch today. So far, not too bad. It does seem to have a lot of fade, though. I'm guessing that will lessen once it gets beat in a little. I have to take it out to a field to get a real idea of how it flies (threw it on the course, just a couple shots). I'm liking it so far, though...

Surges are almost universally great discs. ESP or Z. The key is to find ones with dome. Flat Surges for whatever reason just stink. They don't glide and tend to be flippy. I'd say the best Surge I ever threw was a Z with the grip pad on it. I don't know if it was a retard disc or what, but I touched distances with it that I struggle to hit with faster discs today.

ESP Surges are also still very relevant. Very dependable, good glide and distance. Can't go wrong with them. Even in an age where the Surge has been overtaken by faster, longer discs it will still hold its own just fine.

Does anyone know what year the surge first came out? I have an esp surge with a 2006 tourney stamp and am just wondering if it's a 1st run or a later run.. Thanks

If I'm not mistaken, the Surge was Discraft's response to the Wraith.

PDGA approval dates:
Wraith: 8/15/2005
Surge: 2/8/2006

Last edited:
Thanks, that jives with what I'm coming across. But I thought I heard the first runs had more dome, but this one's pretty flat..

I throw wraiths my buddy throws surges. No difference in distance. For me the surge moves a little more maybe a hair less stable in the wind. To me the flx surge is the wind fighter they are typically more stable harder fade. I like the surge because it offers you several different plastic options. In my opinion wraith/surge are interchangeable. Haven't noticed the lack of glide but a flat one is a nice hyzerflip disc.

the first runs were esp decently flat with a higher plh the the last could runs.

Love my FLX Surge. I have a pretty weak forehand but when I have to throw one the Surge is my best bet. Permanent spot in the bag.

Just picked up 4 more ESP Surge discs!!! The Academy by me had them on Clearance for $6.99 each, so grabbed 4! 1 had a really high PLH and FAF, 1 was low PLH and DAF and the other 2 were right in the middle, so I think I scored pretty good!!! The 1 that I currently bag is right in the middle, so now I have 5, and I love throwing this disc. Now I have my backups!!