• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

discs hitting your bag.

peabody

Edit profile banner
Bronze level trusted reviewer
We were at teepad #2 and waiting to tee off. A guy threw from tee #1 and his disc scooted right past us and ended up a foot away from #2 teepad.
Barely missed my bag by a few inches. No OB on hole one so teepad #2 is in play. I was told by an ADV player in our group that you will get a two stroke penalty if another players disc hits your bag. Is this a real rule?
Our bags were within 5 foot of the #2 teepad. How is this rule fair if your group is waiting to tee off the next hole?

If it was done intentionally then the player who left the bag there gets a 2 stroke penalty.

803.07 Interference:A. A thrown disc that hits another player, spectator, or animal shall be played where it comes to rest. A thrown disc that is intentionally deflected or was caught and moved shall be marked as close as possible to the point of contact, as determined by a majority of the group or an official. Alternatively, for intentional interference only, the thrower has the option of taking a re-throw. Players shall not stand or leave their equipment where interference with the flight or path of a disc could easily occur. The away player may require other players to mark their lies or move their equipment before making a throw if the player believes that either could interfere with his or her throw.

C. Any player who consciously alters the course of a thrown disc, or consciously moves or obscures another player's thrown disc at rest or a marker disc, other than by the action of a competitively thrown disc or in the process of identification, shall receive two penalty throws, without a warning, if observed by any two players or an official.

Well I did intentionally put my bag down to get ready to throw the next hole.
Why are all these rules so damn vague?hahaha

Did you put your bag down there because you were waiting to tee off nearby, or because you wanted to interfere with the other guy's disc?

Did you put your bag down there because you were waiting to tee off nearby, or because you wanted to interfere with the other guy's disc?

That's the question and the answer is most probably no.
Now if you threw your bag in the air trying to hit a disc in flight, then you get a 2 stroke penalty. :p

Hypothetical: Climo is in the lead group. Climo puts his bag down behind the tee he's on. Some one in the group behind him throws a bad shot and it hits Climo's bag.

Why would Climo get 2 strokes for that?

No penalty for unintentional interference, with your self or your equipment.

The idea two strokes for hitting another players equipment is something that I think has drifted over from ball golf. But it is not in the disc golf rules as such. Unless, as stated above, the group deems that a player put or left it in the way on purpose. It is the away players responsibility to ask to have stuff moved if he has reason to believe he can hit it.

IIRC, there's a PDGA "rules school" that talks about it. Basically, if another player asks you to move your equipment, and you refuse, and then his disc hits it, then he can penalize you for intentional interference. But if he didn't ask you to move it first, or if you moved it as asked, then it is treated as unintentional interference, and the disc is played from the point of interference.

Similarly, we can't have players leaving there equipment where it will catch a rollaway from their own putting attempt. If a player leaves their equipment in such a spot before putting out, I'm not sure whether they have to be asked to move it, and refuse, before a penalty for intentional interference can be assessed in the event the disc contacts the equipment. I expect the group majority can do as it pleases in such a situation.

Here is the rules school article: http://www.pdga.com/interference-rule

Last edited:
Not sure if this was said yet, but it is only a penalty if you were asked to move the bag and did not.

Nevermind, JenB beat me

That's the question and the answer is most probably no.
Now if you threw your bag in the air trying to hit a disc in flight, then you get a 2 stroke penalty. :p

I thought it was hard enough to hit a stationary basket with one disc.
Now you want me to hit a object in flight with a bag full of them?

I quit. :wall:

Similarly, we can't have players leaving there equipment where it will catch a rollaway from their own putting attempt. If a player leaves their equipment in such a spot before putting out, I'm not sure whether they have to be asked to move it, and refuse, before a penalty for intentional interference can be assessed in the event the disc contacts the equipment. I expect the group majority can do as it pleases in such a situation.

I ran into this at a tournament I played last weekend. A guy on my card had a 10 foot putt, it hits the cage and rolled back and hit his own bag. He was one of those people that puts their bag down within a foot or two of their lie, so I don't think it was intentional, although he probably had enough time to pick up his bag and move it before the roll away putt hit it. In the end, it probably wouldn't have mattered, as the disc appeared that it was going to stop around his original lie. So my question is would this be a two stroke penalty on him, since he didn't attempt to move the bag, or is this unintentional interference?

I ran into this at a tournament I played last weekend. A guy on my card had a 10 foot putt, it hits the cage and rolled back and hit his own bag. He was one of those people that puts their bag down within a foot or two of their lie, so I don't think it was intentional, although he probably had enough time to pick up his bag and move it before the roll away putt hit it. In the end, it probably wouldn't have mattered, as the disc appeared that it was going to stop around his original lie. So my question is would this be a two stroke penalty on him, since he didn't attempt to move the bag, or is this unintentional interference?

I think it's only a penalty if he did attempt to move his bag.

If the disc rolls and hits a bag you pay it as it lies. If someone trys to move their bag and hits the disc in process it's interference.

Unintentional. The only time I would see an intentional call is when a player is observed to be making an effort to place their bag in a position on a slope near the pin where it's a known by players in the group including the thrower as a rollaway type hole.

I think it's only a penalty if he did attempt to move his bag.

If the disc rolls and hits a bag you pay it as it lies. If someone trys to move their bag and hits the disc in process it's interference.

From 803.07 Interference
A. ...Players shall not stand or leave their equipment where interference with the flight or path of a disc could easily occur.

I think the act of leaving the bag knowing that the disc is headed towards it could be argued as intentional interference.

Obviously a player has to set his bag down somewhere and he doesn't do it with the intent of causing interference, just as players usually stand in a position where they won't cause interference. I think in either case, it's a matter of timing and intent. If the disc comes back too fast and there's no time to react and get one's bag or body out of the way, so be it, it's unintentional. But if there is enough time to recognize the bag, like one's body, is in the disc's path and can be moved, then I think the player should make an effort to remove the bag from the path of the disc just as they would try to get themselves out of the way.

Either way, it really is a judgment call on the scene to determine intent.

Latest posts