• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Discs that will never turn

Hyzerbomb Frontline Sabot aka a pop top Star Max. I have three of them and they all fade hard. I played a tournament with 30+ mph wind gusts, no turn whatsoever.

I would say the machete, never even got the thing past flat. Can't remember the video, but if I remember correctly McBeth called them uselessly overstable.

With enough wind I've turned my stiletto, Rask and Warhorse are better in wind imo.

Hmmmm....pretty dependent on how much speed is put on the disc.

I have seen some pretty dang beat in discs....they all will start to turn at some point.

You can turn anything, the question is how much and how soon will it come back.

I am going to go with a Ram.

He's got a point. Some of the elite power players can probably turn anything.
And it you beat any disc enough, eventually it's turn.

But for most of us, there are discs that we'll never really get to turn... at least at their intended speed. Sure, we can throw them on a hard annie release to carve out a nice flex line... but barring some crazy headwind, there are molds that just won't turn for most players. First disc that popped in my mind was the Drone.

He's got a point. Some of the elite power players can probably turn anything.
And it you beat any disc enough, eventually it's turn.

But for most of us, there are discs that we'll never really get to turn... at least at their intended speed. Sure, we can throw them on a hard annie release to carve out a nice flex line... but barring some crazy headwind, there are molds that just won't turn for most players. First disc that popped in my mind was the Drone.

Have you seen Drew Gibson try to turn a Stego? I beg to differ.

Have you seen Drew Gibson try to turn a Stego? I beg to differ.

Stego is an odd animal. I have one that is so thrashed that "round" doesn't exactly describe it anymore. You can force it over and it will hold the line for a long time, but I don't think even in its battered state that anyone could turn it over with power alone.

You won't find them because they're stupid and useless but the most overstable disc I have ever thrown was a Star Monster-X.

It is both significantly faster and shorter than a FAF Firebird

OK so per the 6 pages now there are a lot of options for that absurdly OS option that won't turn when thrown on an airshot, and furthermore may border on "useless OS" where you might as well throw something with a little glide for some extra skip etc.

I wonder though, what is the best overall option for pulling off relatively useful pocket OS trick shots? For example, I prefer to bag a very mellow Firebird for air shots, and they offer more than enough stability for me on a calm day. However, I find that a "mellow" firebird does not perform nearly as well or predictably as for example a FAF firebird on trick shots - forehand rollers, low skips, and particularly thumbers and grenades (1 or 2 per round for any of the above if that). So far I have found the Justice to be pretty similar to a FAF firebird in stability, just a little less likely to get away from you on upshots to dicey greens.

Favorite useful absurdly OS option?

OK so per the 6 pages now there are a lot of options for that absurdly OS option that won't turn when thrown on an airshot, and furthermore may border on "useless OS" where you might as well throw something with a little glide for some extra skip etc.

I wonder though, what is the best overall option for pulling off relatively useful pocket OS trick shots? For example, I prefer to bag a very mellow Firebird for air shots, and they offer more than enough stability for me on a calm day. However, I find that a "mellow" firebird does not perform nearly as well or predictably as for example a FAF firebird on trick shots - forehand rollers, low skips, and particularly thumbers and grenades (1 or 2 per round for any of the above if that). So far I have found the Justice to be pretty similar to a FAF firebird in stability, just a little less likely to get away from you on upshots to dicey greens.

Favorite useful absurdly OS option?

There are more good ones in that category. My favorites are;

Putters; Harp, Zone, Chui
Mids; Gila, Justice
Fairways; Flare, FAF Firebird, Ahti
Distance Driver; Warhorse, Rask, Enforcer

Latest posts