• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disks for tomahawks and thumbers?

DiscSniper

What are you guys throwing for overhand shots? My brother does really well with a StarFire, but he has a bigger arm then I do. Any disc recommendations, specific models, understable/overstable etc.?

I've sold about a bazillion Champ Banshees for overhand accuracy. As far as distance, I hear different things... I'd defer to someone here who throws overhand for D. But keep in mind, overhand-for-D = big arm.

My noodle arm probably makes this topic irrelevant, but I do use over hand for get out of trouble type shots where there is an obstacle blocking all other paths.

I use an understable disc for shorter placement shots I toss a 165g sidewinder.
The best for a longer overhead is a champ banshee or champ firebird, from what I've tossed.

xXx but if you are a noodle arm this may prove difficult. start with a Zone and see how you like that. You can OH any disc in your bag. You will get more distance out of the insanely overstable discs.

For low power a Champ Valkyrie is a surprisingly long disc thanks to the way and speed it flips. An even more understable disc in the Leopard has been in the arsenal of Brian Schweberger and he's got a big hook thumb.

Go to an open field and try every disc in your bag. You'll find out what you can flip and what you can't and you'll also learn what discs you can use for crazy bailout shots. So don't just watch for the distance, pay close attention to how each disc lands and the line it took to get there.

Varsi said:
Jesse B 707 said:

Computer guy I think

Haha, you are correct. That plus auto-correct on iPhone. Sadly, I'm not sure how to modify the topic from Tapatalk...

I noticed it after the fact and corrected the OP, but didn't change the subject line.

I throw a PD2 and a flick for my thumbers and tomahawks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I don't think it is legal, but the Epic is really good for thumbers and tomahawks. For something legal, get your hands on a dragon, avenger ss, nuke ss or a pro katana or vulcan and beat it until it does barrel rolls. These discs fly similar to the epic at this stage. This is a different shot, but my friend gave me a pro katana that was run over, I throw a grenade with it that would blow your mind. I throw the disc almost straight up into the air, it flattens out gets parallel to the ground and sails for out and right for about 350'. If you can get your thumber to flatten out right side up that is how you will gain the most distance. This is not an easy task.

Opto xXx and Z Flick seem to be the best for consistent distance, but you have to throw with a lot of power to get the full flight out of them. I have an Opto Trident that goes almost as far and doesn't require me to risk damaging my shoulde r to get it to work. Another option is the Z Flick in lighter weights. I have one at around 160g (I've seen them as low as 148g on EBay) that goes just as far as my max weight Flick (Maybe 5' less at most), and as an added bonus, it makes a great forehand driver as well. The only drawback is it gets blown around by the wind a little more, but I throw most of my thumbers in the woods so wind is less of an issue.

90% of the time, I reach for the Trident though.

I have been throwing thumbers/tomahawks for most of my 18 year disc golf career. Best discs are overstable drivers. I have tried about every disc possible. Z predators are my personal choice fo their slow turn and predictable finish. I have used firebirds, whippets, banshees, nuke os, force, flick, trident, xxx, speed demon, spirit, evo blaze, xclone, extra, extreme(all z, optoor champ for durability). Always come back to the predators. After they get beat in they transition to a nice stable workhors driver.