• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Distance Driver for 250 foot RHFH

My recommendation would be a Starlite Teebird. They're lightweight, they glide, and have more than enough stability for a 250-300' flick.

I really like my Axiom Insanity for forehand distance, but 250-275 is about my max with any forehand so maybe I'm not a great example for your friend.

Anyway, the problem I've always had with less stable discs and forehands is the same as your friend - I'll flip them too easy out of my hand. Probably a form issue, but irritating none-the-less. The Insanity holds up to a good snap with a flat to small hyzer angle, flips to straight, turns over and glides a real long way before fading for a speed 10 disc. Really easy to get distance on it without loosing accuracy. By comparison, my other favorite distance driver is the Tern. And while I can throw a Tern a bit farther backhand, and still get good control, when I try to throw a forehand drive with a Tern it tends to turn and burn. No idea why that would be (gyro?), but I throw with what I know from practicing with the discs I have.

He needs to throw harder and get a disc that doesn't turn over as much, if you are RHFH Wraiths 250 feet.... sorry but you need to leave your purse in the car. I think his focus should be more on building arm strength and technique, a disc isn't going to get him past 250 feet to be honest

disc down to slower, straighter discs. TB, TL, etc will help with form and probably won't compromise distance even at the beginning. when he gets to the 325+ range, then maybe move up to a PD, Wraith, etc.

Distance drivers should be flying further than 350. Period. If you can't get them there, throw a thinner rimmed disc. I can throw my Escape and a Tern back to back and get the same distance (320-360) essentially.

Distance drivers have a thicker rim because they are designed to be thrown over like 50+ MPH. If you can't do that, accept it and throw the right discs.

TeeBirds, Leopards, Rival, Patriot, QJLS, all of these would be great starting points.

If you're not going to change your form, what is discing down going to accomplish? Especially forehand, you can force a flex and get great distance out of fast drivers. Sure, not going to give you much form feedback, but that's not what this guy's looking for, from the sound of it.

If you're not going to change your form, what is discing down going to accomplish? Especially forehand, you can force a flex and get great distance out of fast drivers. Sure, not going to give you much form feedback, but that's not what this guy's looking for, from the sound of it.

If he's not going to change his form, then this is not the activity for him, nor the board to ask for help!

Just because you throw your Nuke OS like this, / , and get it to go 300, does not a strong sidearm make.

Discing down forces the user to adjust their throw based on the disc speed and flight. If he strongarm's a Comet, he's gonna have a bad time. Same with a Leopard or TeeBird, going to respond more directly to his throw.

If he's not going to change his form, then this is not the activity for him, nor the board to ask for help!

We can't help a guy get a few more feet if he doesn't want to change his form? I missed that one on the board rules.

Just because you throw your Nuke OS like this, / , and get it to go 300, does not a strong sidearm make.

Discing down forces the user to adjust their throw based on the disc speed and flight. If he strongarm's a Comet, he's gonna have a bad time. Same with a Leopard or TeeBird, going to respond more directly to his throw.

You are correct that he won't have a good sidearm form. I have bad sidearm form. I over torque it and can't FH an understable disc to save my life.

Doesn't mean I can't come here and ask for help. I usually FH my wraith out about 325ish. Other stuff goes a bit shorter, no reason I can't give that info and ask for disc advice.

It is possible to enjoy something and not want to spend a ton of time getting better, and instead want to just enjoy it and if there is a piece of equipment that will work better to switch it up. Some of us have more money to buy discs than we have time to practice a ton.

Believe it or not, not everybody who plays is looking to perfect their form and put in hours of field practice. Some people actually do this for fun. Who woulda thunk it?

Most discs that can handle an anhyzer flick will dump left toward the end of the flight. He just needs to compensate with some more anhyzer and let the disc swing further left before fading back. I'd suggest Mid to low 160's Star Katanas. I've even seen some 150 class GStar katanas that might work (just not well into a headwind). Don't bother with Champion ones though. They will have less glide and more fade at his distances.

Yeah, he is just in it to have a good time and really enjoys himself. Good or bad game, it is just good to get out and throw. He has been playing a long time and has good accuracy on driving and approach. Good or bad form, what he is doing is accurate. He just doesn't get the distance. The Wraith flips left immediately, floats for a moment, and then turns hard right and ends straight. So, in that sense, it is a great disc for accuracy. But, again, if only he could get it to go a little farther. As I was saying, when he throws something more under stable, he usually ends left. So maybe something a little slower than a Wraith but with the stability and fade of the wraith is a good idea.

I'm starting to think the Volt is a good suggestion.

Most of us have been that guy or know that guy. If you gave him a Volt, Eagle or even a Tee Bird, I'd bet he'd be happier. He doesn't need to throw drivers 350 feet to have fun. I understand the logic behind telling folks that they should not be throwing drivers, but it's fun to throw them so deal with it man.

Wow, every one of you who said he should work on his form should be ashamed of yourself.
I know plenty of older players, just like the one mentioned, who are just fine throwing 250.
Its not a " you need to get better, thing."
Its a play to have some fun thing.

Advice from an old guy, me, who doesnt throw much farther than that forehand, tell him to try a bubble Boss, its an easy distance grabber. ;)

Wow, every one of you who said he should work on his form should be ashamed of yourself.
I know plenty of older players, just like the one mentioned, who are just fine throwing 250.
Its not a " you need to get better, thing."
Its a play to have some fun thing.

Advice from an old guy, me, who doesnt throw much farther than that forehand, tell him to try a bubble Boss, its an easy distance grabber. ;)

They don't mean to improve form to throw further (although it wouldn't hurt), but to allow him to throw more neutral discs and have much more available to him.

There is a guy I play with some in his 50s that flicks a Star Katana to great effect, up to 300ft or a bit over. I let him try my Stag and and he really liked it as well. The added glide recalled helped him though it isn't a fast disc.

Latest posts