• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does anyone ever return discs?

maynes32

Par Member
So, after losing three discs in five holes yesterday (blind shots while solo, my bad, I know), I just had a question. I'm still a relative beginner, so I still lose a decent amount of discs. Every disc I've ever lost had my name and my phone number, including area code, on it. My phone number has not changed since I started playing. I have never gotten a disc back that I lost.

Does anyone (aside from me) call people if they find a lost disc with a phone number? If not, why not?

i've only gotten one out of maybe 10 back in the year i've been playing...

i am returning one today, and i always call the number...i've been told to keep some, met up with guys and returned others...the one i'm returning today didn't even have a number and could barely make out any of the name, but posting it on the local forum got me the guys name and number, and he is very glad to get it back, even though i would have loved for him to tell me to keep it...sweet tie dyed champ teebird...

I live in the North East. I've lost 2 and gotten 2 back

I've gotten the two I've lost back. Both of them were gone for several months. When I loose them I do it right.

I've had three of the 15 discs I've lost returned to me, and I've returned 4 discs to their owners.

If there's a number, I always call it to get it back to the owner...I've often left discs at the front desk of my hotel because I couldn't hook up with the person before I had to leave town.
I've had a couple of calls from around the country from people who have found my disc...I have always let them keep it, since I've already replaced it anyway.

I've probably lost about 12 overall (about half of those in water of some type) and have had two water ones returned (or called to return) and 3 others returned or called to return...

There are a few I've lost that no one will ever find :)

I think that many disc golfers rationalize it by thinking that they have lost a bunch of discs and are just getting "theirs" back when they find someone else's disc. I however follow the more noble approach followed by most on this site and call every time.

I think that many disc golfers rationalize it by thinking that they have lost a bunch of discs and are just getting "theirs" back when they find someone else's disc. I however follow the more noble approach followed by most on this site and call every time

I rationalize giving them back in hopes that when I lose mine someone will do the same.

I always call when I find a disc if there is a number. So far I've called about a 1/2 dozen people. Only once did I get a response. I've tried. I've only lost 1 disc. My number was on it. No call. But our motto is no disc left behind so we've always searched until we find it. Sometimes for over an hour. The 1 that I lost was not because of an errant throw. It must have fallen out of the bag in the snow. And so we didn't even realize till we were home.

I have a good story. I rarely ever have anything returned. I lost a disc in the lake at Trace State Park, just outside of Tupelo, MS. I lost it about 2 months ago. It was my faualt. A poor throw that never quite made it back to shore. I got a call 2 days ago, that they had found my disc. I actually was able to contact the finder on this site. He is sending it back. The guy's name is Randy Sharp, and he is one awesome dude. It's people like this that make disc golf an awesome sport.

When and if I ever have the opportunity to, I will. However if there is no name and number on the disc I'll keep it.

I have returned 27 discs and have had 3 returned to me (lost 19). Two were found in the snow when it melted at a tourney and returned to the table. One was called and returned to me this Sunday. I lost in a pond at one park. It was found at another park about 20 miles away. I truely don't expect anyone to call to be honest. I don't believe it's the people diving in the pond and searching through the reeds who are the people who make the phone calls. I believe it's just the luck of whoever finds it.

I have also noticed that the ones that have been returned also have had my PDGA number on it. Some of the others did not. Maybe that helps it come back a little. Just a thought

I've lost 4-5 and have only gotten 1 back. I have returned quite a few more than I have lost. I always look for a number and make at least a couple of attempts to get it back to its owner. About half of the people I have contacted either tell me to keep it (especially if its beat up DX) or don't bother to return my calls. I have agreed to meet several people at nearby DG courses to return their discs and wound up making a few new DG buds that way.

If it has a # I call it.... I've returned some and some said keep it..... if no contact info I keep it or give it to a newbee with no disc..... I'm bad at not putting contact info on mine so I understand the nature of the game......

I had lost my favorite disc and replaced it with one that just wasn't the same. Months later, I discovered the local forum and found a "found" post with my disc (no name or number on it, by the way). I was extremely happy to have it back. He wouldn't even pick one from my extras - just happy to return it. That sealed my fate. I'll throw it if it's a new mold to me to see if I want to buy one, but I always post and/or call. Of the ones that have gotten responses, I've been told to keep most of them - most have been beat in water discs.

I believe in karma, and this proves it to me. I did have someone tell me they found one of my discs in a pond and to "make an offer" to get it back. I told him to keep it - I already paid for it once and had replaced it. I have since seen him post that he lost his favorite disc on the local site. What goes around, comes around.

I have lost many over the years and had most returned. Lost one in spokane, got a call and the guy offered to mail it to me. Not worth it so he kept the disc, but I appreciated the call.

I have found about ten in the last year and a half, called the ones with numbers and got no response. I found one in a creek that had dried up enough where the top of a disc was sticking out of the mud, close to where I threw mine. the only part of the phone number left is (601) which written like that suggest the area code I think, does anyone know where the 601 is and the name on the back is written as so, Allan "hogman" Morrow. does anyone know the Hogman?

Got a disc back yesterday that's been swimming with the fish for around 2 years or so I'd say. When I first started playing, one of the first disc I ever threw into the water.

12x KC Star Wraith.

Latest posts