• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does it offend you to see people guzzling beer while playing disc golf?

Does it bother you to see people guzzling beer on disc golf courses?

• Yes

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • No

Votes: 33 68.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Greg Weleski

The only reason I posted this is because I always see empty beer cans/bottles in certain inconspicuous wooded parts of DG courses. I wouldn't object if they picked up after themselves but that never seems to be the case. Also I've seen some kids that didn't look to be of age and had to still be in high school opening a few cans right out in the open part of a course. I was glad my 7yr old stepdaughter wasn't with me. I just wanted to know what you guys thought.

The beer doesn't bother me but the litter would. That seems like 2 separate issues. Littering is not good for the course no matter what form it takes. I would be bothered if I saw someone stumbling around drunk but having a beer or 2 at the course is not a problem.

Sort of...

As long as people are behaving themselves, not littering, and respecting the course and its users, then they can drink all the beer they want. I do get tired of seeing the randomly placed beer cans / bottles. Some parks do not have nearly enough trash receptacles to eleviate this problem, not a great excuse though.

whats with the 'lets start threads to bitch about all possible aspects of DG'?

Im ok with beer. Not ok with littering.

It depends...

In Ohio, it is illegal to have alcohol in most city and state parks. So I am opposed to it in those cases. If its legal where you are, its totally fine, as long as you clean up after yourself.

are there many people that go out with a flask or bottle of something (hardbooze) other than beer? Carrying around more than a couple of beers seems like it would just be more of a pain than its worth. But if you've got a system (a huge bag and only carry 4 discs ) & u carry in / carry out - that's cool.

I personally like all of my faculties when i'm playing Disc/Ball golf (except in a scramble when you're using a cart and can just swing for the fences and dont care about losing 34584354305 balls)

Seriously!?!?!?!? Disc golfers must love that specially lined can.

This looks more like a DG choice of bru
276830825_537164b99e.jpg

I personally like all of my faculties when i'm playing Disc/Ball golf (except in a scramble when you're using a cart and can just swing for the fences and dont care about losing 34584354305 balls)

Ball golf is different. Gotta have some swing lube.

Plus the real thing with ball golf is that you have a place to put the cans. People don't little on nice ball golf courses. At least not the ones that I play. They drink their beer and play golf. But I try to play at nice places so I've never seen anyone get out of line on a ball golf course.

My brother-in-law and I bring a small cooler out with us with 2-3 beers a piece in there along with water and soda, we carry in-carry out. We're discrete about it and if there are kids around we keep the beers hidden in our bottle holders. I don't see any problem with someone doing this. What does bother me though are the empty bottles left on the course, people should at least have the courtesy to throw their trash away.

One other thing that bothers me is seeing drunk people on the course, I've only seen this twice (the same guy at 2 different courses) so I believe it to be uncommon. I'm not sure how much fun this could be, he was with friends each time and they were apologetic in each instance. Both instances occurred in a busy public park and I don't like the image that sends to other park visitors.

yeah the cart is key - the only time i've seen out of line (but not really) was at a Tourney sponsored by my favorite Bar when i lived in Key West. - Free booze / strippers at certain holes - people playing shirtless / puking / we had a boombox playing the whole time . Not your average round - Not even close - quite the golf course anomaly but not really for KeyWest

Some of the best tasting beers I've ever had, have been on a DG course. Especially when each member of the group brings a mixed sixer.

We carry in, we carry out, plus some. I can't vouch for the rest of the DGers out there, but if you set an example, someone will follow it.

I wish there wasn't a weird stigma attached to drinking in a park. Nobody would question you if you were drinking on a regular golf course.

I just find that people who drink out there for the most part (not all) seem to just be ignorant as far as the litter problem. If you are going to drink that is fine with me but one, don't be THAT GUY, and two, pack it out and then I think everyone would be fine. I think ciggarettes are even worse though. There seems to always be butts EVERYWHERE and people don't always put them out but let them go out on their own. I have had to step on them many times and just find it sad. One mistake and a course can be taken away for good. I guess all in all, it is about being responsible.

One of my most vivid memories of a guy drinking a beer on a course is in Oregon, Dexter State Park(where I think it's legal to drink in the park). My friend and I were teeing off after him and were behind him for a few holes before he moved ahead in the woods and we couldn't see him anymore...he was making these incredible 60-90 foot putts with a bottle of micro-brew (my friend-an Oregon micro-brew fan recognized the bottle but couldn't remember the brewery) in one hand the whole time...I'm more of a wine guy than beer guy, but I wanted to go ask him the brand and considered getting a bottle to help my putting :)

In my mind, the litter is a huge issue...not just beer cans but all litter...

The irony...
the minority of jags that carry a 12 pack in along with 30 discs, throw a rubber disc into a small basket 300+ feet away 18 or more times, but CAN'T CARRY A F%$KING EMPTY CAN OR BOTTLE TO THE TRASH CAN! Seriously, this is the only thing that pisses me off with some disc golfers.

FORTUNATELY, Michigan has a 10cent deposit on cans and bottles so some courses actually make a bit of money off these jag holes.

I just find that people who drink out there for the most part (not all) seem to just be ignorant as far as the litter problem. If you are going to drink that is fine with me but one, don't be THAT GUY, and two, pack it out and then I think everyone would be fine. I think ciggarettes are even worse though. There seems to always be butts EVERYWHERE and people don't always put them out but let them go out on their own. I have had to step on them many times and just find it sad. One mistake and a course can be taken away for good. I guess all in all, it is about being responsible.

I agree, the cigarette butts are much more annoying that beers. The course I just opened already has 5 or 6 butts in and around the tee boxes... ITs like WTF, this is not your personal ashtray. Put the F'n butts in your pocket or bag...or dont smoke at all.

Camel menthol seems to be the cig of choice for DG'ers here in PA

I agree, the cigarette butts are much more annoying that beers.

I'm going to make a broad statement. I realize that it's a generalization and that what I am about to say is only true for 99.9% of the people out there. If you're in the .1% then that's great. I appreciate it.

My opinion is that cigarette smokers in general have no respect when it comes to littering. I have never met a cigarette smoker that disposes of the butts respectfully all of the time. Most just throw them out the window of the car, on the sidewalk, on the ground in the park, in someone elses front yard... anywhere and everywhere except in a garbage can or in the ashtray of their car.

Even smokers don't want to smell like smokers. That's why they won't dispose of the cig's where they will actually have to deal with them at a later time. It all comes down to being lazy, inconsiderate and stupid.

I would love to be the litter patrol guy who follows people around in cars and then fines them for littering when they throw cig butts out of the window. If that job paid a lot I would do it with a smile on my face. What a wonderful way to tax the dumb asses of the world.

Latest posts