• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dogs on the Disc Golf Course

Even the nicest, most well mannered dogs still POOP!! I have NEVER seen a dg'ing dog owner carrying a plastic disposal bag, or ever using one. These dog loving idiots let their K-9's pee and poo all over the course and I'm tired of finding land mines everywhere. I say no to dogs on the course, no to steamers on the course, and no to urine in the brush where i've just thrown my sweet new Champion Groove.

and sorry to break the disc golfer mold but me and my brother each carry a roll of **** bags in our disc bags

my dog biko is the course mascot for the course we built in the park behind my house. never even touched a disc. he does venture to far sometimes and gets nailed by discs. need to train him to stay close is all

My little Boston is still in training, luckily My Revo dual pack works as a good anchor. I keep her lease tied to it and rarely ever feel her there, I pick it up and she walks along with me, I set it down and she's anchored in place. I work with her of the lease at more secluded courses but for city parks I feel a lot better if she cant wonder into a street.

there is a local at cedar hills that has an awesome dog. He carries the guy's discs, will retrieve/find it for him, will grab it out of the basket or if he says "finish it out" will pick up the disc and put it in the basket.

I have two dogs. I love all dogs. I don't love irresponsible owners. I've taken my dogs golfing once or twice and they were fine but having to have someone hold the leash while teeing off seemed to be too much of an inconvenience to the group. I won't take my dogs off leash unless it's in a dog park, leash laws exits for a reason. But I will say I've played with Martin Dewgarita and his dog, his dog is cool. But when I run across other park users ignoring the leash laws at the courses I play at it annoys me. As others have said it doesn't matter if your off leash dog is well behaved. If it comes upon another dog who dislikes other dogs there will be an issue. An issue that could have been easily avoided if people obeyed leash laws.

I don't even put a collar on my dog. If a guy can't train a dog properly the chain it up. I'll be damned if my dog needs to be restricted due to others laziness.

The park where I play at there are no dogs allowed. That being said, sometimes people bring their dogs anyway. I have never had an issue with them though except for this one time when a mans small dog (looked like maybe a Jack Russell) picked a disc up for a split second before the dogs master yelled for him to drop it. I could not tell by looking at my disc that the dog had picked it up.

Dogs are great on the course when the owner is responsible about it.
TRUTH!!! I am not a fan of untrained people that bring their dogs to the courses.

Of course it's the owners responsibility to train that behavior out of the dog
Yes, you are correct. :thmbup: I spent countless hours training my dog Floyd at the house and on the course playing solo rounds prior to my first casual round with others. Since then, Floyd has attended leagues with me on a regular basis and he has even come along for some tournaments. To this day (7+ years) he still has not touched a disc or caused any other trouble on the courses.

Even the nicest, most well mannered dogs still POOP!! I have NEVER seen a dg'ing dog owner carrying a plastic disposal bag, or ever using one.
Anytime you want to break the streak, I will meet you at a course anywhere around the greater Chicagoland area with my dog Floyd. I always carry at least 3 or 4 doggy bags. :hfive:

I don't even put a collar on my dog. If a guy can't train a dog properly the chain it up. I'll be damned if my dog needs to be restricted due to others laziness.
I always carry a leash in my bag, but Floyd doesn't need it. I will strap it on if I see other dogs on the course that are leashed. That usually means the owner is still training their dog. Also, he always wears his collar unless he is swimming.

My dog comes with us for practically every round.

-She will not pick up a disc. I trained her extensively in the backyard before she came out to the course for the first time.

-I carry a roll of bags on her leash. I try to get her to sh!t before we get to the course, but if not it will always be picked up.

-She is as far from aggressive as can be.

-Her one problem is yipping while I'm throwing. Until recently she only did this to me, but now my wife gets the treatment as well. The dog will be quiet the whole round, except when I am driving. She waits until I am pulling the disc across my chest to give a little yip or whine at the worst possible moment. On the bright side, it is helping me tune out distractions while playing.

even if the dog does damage the disc its just a disc you tightwad.

Yeah I'm such a tightwad. I love just throwing 15 dollars in the trash can!

Sorry must of the time I purchase used discs. I would have been less annoyed had the disc that been chewed been one of my used ones or at least a disc that was in a more durable plastic.

As long as the dog is well behaved, and the owner responsible, then I'm all for it. Dogs love going out to the parks with their masters.

My dog lives with us in a small apartment so I take her whenever I can. The park I usually play it is quite small and most of the time there isn't anyone there but me. I'll let her off her leash if there isn't anyone around. She's a great dog, but man she won't stay close for the life of me. She will come if I call her, but she can't grasp the concept of staying within 50 feet of me.

forest almost always comes to the course
he never picks up a disc, unless I tell him to, then he will never leave teeth marks
he spots on blind holes
he sniffs out lost discs, in the leaves, shule, snow
he retrieves it out of water, other sides of fences, down big hills, shule
700 courses, 47 states.
I never have him on a leash, unless asked, twice i've been asked,I always comply
I always pick up his poop
He's better behaved than most people
I typically skip courses that don't allow dogs
Don't tell me I can't have my dog at a course, we won't get along
have a problem with it, please move on.

forest almost always comes to the course
he never picks up a disc, unless I tell him to, then he will never leave teeth marks
he spots on blind holes
he sniffs out lost discs, in the leaves, shule, snow
he retrieves it out of water, other sides of fences, down big hills, shule
700 courses, 47 states.
I never have him on a leash, unless asked, twice i've been asked,I always comply
I always pick up his poop
He's better behaved than most people
I typically skip courses that don't allow dogs
Don't tell me I can't have my dog at a course, we won't get along
have a problem with it, please move on.

I have to say, your dog is one of the most well behaved dogs I have ever encountered, and he can do some pretty cool tricks too:)

I bring my dog to the course all the time, but always on a leash. He's never been allowed to play with frisbees (balls only) so has 0 interest in discs. I've also trained him decently so he won't be a nuisance. He's a 150lb great dane so it was kinda necessary, but the biggest general issue is that most folks just don't train their dogs. As long as they're trained and picked up after there should be no problem.

I like to go to other sports' discussion boards and read all about dogs on the baseball field, dogs on the basketball court, dogs in the bowling alley, dogs on the balance beam, dogs on the chess board, dogs on the hockey rink, dogs on the pool table, dogs on the soccer pitch . . .

They all agree that it just makes so much sense to have MY dog (which is so well-trained that he actually enhances the way the game is played) to be right there on the field of play during the game.

yet another dog on the course discussion! Personally love most dogs, have three at home. NEVER take them on the course with me. Sure, your dog is the greatest dog ever, but it is just plain and simple inconsiderate to bring him/her to the course. If you want to take the dog to a park....take it to a park, not a disc course...even if the course is in a park.

Latest posts