• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving with putters

You are right about that, but not exclusively right.

We've even had this discussion on your putter throwing video threads - your 400' involves lots of height and L->R movement, and you don't throw the disc like your drives because if you threw your distance drivers on that loft line they won't fly the same. I'm not saying this in a negative way, because you can wing a disc, no doubt...just be careful that people don't start thinking you can just rip 400' putter drives on frozen rope lines up a narrow fairway because the power is there.

This relates to what I said because I was talking about hyzer-flipping putters slightly to achieve that frozen rope line (especially if they are more neutral-stable like an Aviar). I don't have OAT issues and I hyzer flip my beat challengers on rope lines...do I do that for my Zone? No that sucker can be mashed on because of its stability.
That's really just the line you throw them on, not how you actually throw them. The technique isn't different. Putters won't go as far on lower lines and faster discs are more difficult to throw high and nose down, but that doesn't mean you have to throw a Aviar with a different technique or with different power than a Teebird to get both to fly well.

Exactly. And driving my Anode for D there is usually about 5' of left to right movement fwiw, unless the line calls for more hyzer or anhyzer.

That's really just the line you throw them on, not how you actually throw them. The technique isn't different. Putters won't go as far on lower lines and faster discs are more difficult to throw high and nose down, but that doesn't mean you have to throw a Aviar with a different technique or with different power than a Teebird to get both to fly well.

I'll just again agree to disagree because from this point its a semantics argument based on how you define "different"

Technically throwing hyzers and anhyzers with the same disc requires differing techniques if you really get down to it, but if you mean different only in a larger-picture sense then that same example would be categorized as "same technique"

see where I'm going?

If you can throw your midrange discs cleanly, but your putters flutter out of your hand, it's possible the depth or shape of the rim is causing problems with your grip. Have you tried driving with low-profile, beadless putters?

If you can throw your midrange discs cleanly, but your putters flutter out of your hand, it's possible the depth or shape of the rim is causing problems with your grip. Have you tried driving with low-profile, beadless putters?

I think this is just hiding the issue at hand. MikeC has a good video that shows how to grip a putter and keep it in line with the bones in your arm. This is the way to rip a putter and have it hold the line you want without turning over.

If a disc is wobbling when your throwing it its not the disc it's you, so I would try to hit the field and work on that so I can make sure that I don't have that problem anymore. just my .02

I think this is just hiding the issue at hand. MikeC has a good video that shows how to grip a putter and keep it in line with the bones in your arm. This is the way to rip a putter and have it hold the line you want without turning over.

If a disc is wobbling when your throwing it its not the disc it's you, so I would try to hit the field and work on that so I can make sure that I don't have that problem anymore. just my .02

Old thread I know, but could somebody point me to right direction where to find those MikeC's magical putter driving videos? :)

Not sure if 100% on topic, but I have a ton of putters and largely have minimal success throwing them as drivers...except for my Zones. I have 3 of them, and they do hyzer out bigtime on the finish, but its awesomely predictable.

For me, as a RHFH player, I find that using putters off of the tee is largely difficult because a lot of putters don't seem to like getting torqued a lot, which happens more in a FH throw than a BH.

I did suck up my pride and get a Zephyr, which works decently well, but damn that saucer can't go anywhere in the breeze! Its like chucking a balloon. Its now relegated to a novelty.

Have you tried driving with low-profile, beadless putters?

If a disc is wobbling when your throwing it its not the disc it's you

I agree with what Lewis is getting at. Some putters just don't work for everyone's hand/grip. I can throw Ions, Anodes, Pures, and Aviars very well, but put a Wizard in my hand and it will wobble and turn over like I rolled my wrist badly. A Focus will do the same thing. FWIW, I have the same issue with the Wasp. I can't throw it like I can a Vector, even after months of trying.

There can't be much of a difference, but the tiny differences between those discs make a big difference in my ability to throw them. I really wanted to like the Wizard and Wasp, but I had to eventually give them up after throwing KC Aviars and Vectors. That was when I realized that the minute differences can actually be huge.

Not sure if 100% on topic, but I have a ton of putters and largely have minimal success throwing them as drivers...except for my Zones. I have 3 of them, and they do hyzer out bigtime on the finish, but its awesomely predictable.

For me, as a RHFH player, I find that using putters off of the tee is largely difficult because a lot of putters don't seem to like getting torqued a lot, which happens more in a FH throw than a BH.

I did suck up my pride and get a Zephyr, which works decently well, but damn that saucer can't go anywhere in the breeze! Its like chucking a balloon. Its now relegated to a novelty.

Forehanding a typical putter off the tee can be tough. I usually disc up to a mid for short FH drives for that reason.

If you really want to challenge yourself do a forehand only putter round, putting however you normally do though. It's tough, but man is it satisfying to flick a putter 250' with no turn.

I have a few old FH putter rounds on my YT, I should do another since I've cleaned my flick up a bit.

Either way Zones are extremely forgiving for a FH putter and I can see why players like them. I bagged them for a while myself. The flat top and fat rim shape feel great in a FH grip.

Forehanding a typical putter off the tee can be tough. I usually disc up to a mid for short FH drives for that reason.

If you really want to challenge yourself do a forehand only putter round, putting however you normally do though. It's tough, but man is it satisfying to flick a putter 250' with no turn.

I have a few old FH putter rounds on my YT, I should do another since I've cleaned my flick up a bit.

Either way Zones are extremely forgiving for a FH putter and I can see why players like them. I bagged them for a while myself. The flat top and fat rim shape feel great in a FH grip.

It IS fun to see a putter released at about 75º hyzer angle flip up and go straight. I haven't had the courage to use it in a regular round as of yet, but someday!

Best advice is to go into a field and toss a putter back and forth with a few friends. Takes away the pressure of aiming at a basket and you get a feel for your putter. Not to mention it's just plain fun bombing putters.

I can throw a wizard 250, but I have trouble getting a sonic over 100 feet without turn and burn. What am I doing wrong?

I can throw a wizard 250, but I have trouble getting a sonic over 100 feet without turn and burn. What am I doing wrong?

Try turning your hat around backwards. Put all your change in your left pocket. Then tie your left shoe in a double knot. That should fix it.

Try turning your hat around backwards. Put all your change in your left pocket. Then tie your left shoe in a double knot. That should fix it.

Is this a reference to something I'm unaware of?

Also, I do love driving my Anode and Ion depending on the shot. I'm no big arm, but they are fun to throw, providing you have the ceiling room. I will say I'm way less confident driving putters in the woods.

I thought you were going to go all Over The Top for a second...that would have been epic.

My Pro D Magnet will go about 210 and my Soft Focus I can get out to 220-225 on a good day. I used to be about to throw a Soft Magnet about 235, but I havn't tried in a while