• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Drone vs. Hornet

Bogey Member
I use the drone when I need the disc to go left immediately usually to get out of trouble so I use it 1 or 2 times a round on average. I was wondering if the hornet would be a disc I could use for that but also other shots. I throw RHBH.

a Hornet has much more glide than a Drone. A Heavy (172+) Hornet will go left for you immediately (RHBH) like a Drone, but its turning radius is bigger if that makes any sense.

It glides better so it fades more gradually. It shapes lines better than a Drone, but not quite as well as a Wasp (it starts fading quicker/harder than a wasp). I like it in lighter weights for slow hyzers where a Wizard or Rhyno won't do. The Hornet can handle more snap without flipping up, and is faster/longer.

This is based on the Ace Race ESP Version for the record. I haven't thrown the Z.

in all seriousness, i took my FLX drone and ace race ESP hornet out and threw them on a few holes about ten times for each disc per hole when the snow wasn't too deep, and this guy's pretty much got it right VVV

a Hornet has much more glide than a Drone. A Heavy (172+) Hornet will go left for you immediately (RHBH) like a Drone, but its turning radius is bigger if that makes any sense.

also, it's been verified that the hornet works with the right hand, so you're clear

I hated the drone just cause it was one of those discs that never felt good to throw. I <3 the hornet though; it also replaced my wasp which was my former overstable mid, but the hornet is just a bit more useful and overlaps less with my buzzz. It was also verrry good during the ace race which was extremely windy. If I need the serious meathooking I'll just powerdown a trident or xxx.
p.s. only have experience with the ESP hornet, but hoping to get a Z soon

A Hornet will fly further because of the glide and because it's designed for longer distances.
A Drone will pretty much drop like a rock unless you overpower it big time.
JTacoma3 description is very good.

so DGC rated the hornet:

5 speed
5 glide
0 turn
4 fade

Does this sound about right to people that have thrown it? I'd be very interested in it if it really has so much glide. I wonder how they made an overstable disc have so much glide?

What is everyone talking about with the hornet and glide!?!? That thing has next to no glide and flies like a brick.

not if you throw it right ;) I love my z hornet. I've been shaping lines like crazy and pumping it out surprisingly far without having to giv it alot of height. I'm throwing max weight z's. 180 and 179. I threw a es 175 and I could get those to fly straighter longer. The z plastic is tits. I also ran into a 150 class z hornet. Super domey and clear,might be an awesome disc in light weights too

they glide more than my buzzzes

of course all that glide takes it left to the ground, but still, it floats on the way

not if you throw it right ;) I love my z hornet. I've been shaping lines like crazy and pumping it out surprisingly far without having to giv it alot of height. I'm throwing max weight z's. 180 and 179. I threw a es 175 and I could get those to fly straighter longer. The z plastic is tits. I also ran into a 150 class z hornet. Super domey and clear,might be an awesome disc in light weights too

Glide has nothing to do with how it's thrown. The hornet must be thrown hard to go anywhere, and I found it mainly only useful for hyzers and spike hyzers (during ace race and a little bit afterwards). The ones that need to glide are the ones that ARE thrown high, not low. That's a velocity based disc, like the hornet. Throw it softly and see what happens, then throw your putter or a nice glidey mid, putter, or lid the same way and see the difference. (i.e.- Glide (duh), polecat, zephyr, voodoo, comet, shark, stratus etc) All of the above will glide well at low speeds and require more height (generally) to get more distance, something like the hornet will fade very quickly at low speeds and does better at lower lines and higher speeds. Hornet =/= glidey

they glide more than my buzzzes

of course all that glide takes it left to the ground, but still, it floats on the way

That's called overstability.

I honestly didnt like the hornet at the ace race. I thought the holes were too short and the disc too overstable to be useful.

But for use on a regular course is where this disc shines. Its overstable enough as to where you can get a good rip on it and not have to worry about turning it over. But its not too overstable that you cant shape lines with.

I think the Drone is good for hyzers and shots that need to go left (RHBH) in a hurry.

Just because its a faster and overstable disc does not mean that a component of glide will be absent from its flight.

Just because its a faster and overstable disc does not mean that a component of glide will be absent from its flight.

I didn't say absent, I said next to no glide. It has some glide, but nowhere near as much as other useful overstable midranges like the wasp or roc.

In ESP the hornet changes fairly dramatically depending on weight IMHO

I agree, the 160-66 range is almost Roc-like. It can throw flex shots really well. The heavier ones will start to fade right out of your hand until they hit a few trees. The heavy ones dont' seem to ever get flippy even in the slightest...

so DGC rated the hornet:

5 speed
5 glide
0 turn
4 fade

Does this sound about right to people that have thrown it? I'd be very interested in it if it really has so much glide. I wonder how they made an overstable disc have so much glide?

I'm not up to speed on DGC's ratings, but I'll just reiterate that this disc is faster than a Roc, and has equal if not more glide, yet is more overstable.

I am thinking the hornet will compliment my set up more than the drone as well. I have ditched the drone for the zone and don't see myself turning back. I am hoping the hornet compliments my buzzz/comet combo better than a wasp which is getting less and less air time lately.

It doesnt glide as well as a Roc, but it is faster and more overstable. I would have to disagree with DGC's numbers. Too me this disc flies like a very overstable wasp/premium plastic roc