• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Eastern Texas Courses

BigAl724

Par Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
My brother and I are planning a trip up to Selah in late April. We plan on spending a day there, then heading down to Lindsey Park in Tyler for the next day, then to Huntsville to play Shawshank. Anybody have any other suggestions, or does this look pretty solid? We are definitely going to be heading down south either way, making our way back to New Orleans. The Texas Twist courses definitely interest us, but there isn't much information on them, plus we would rather play at a public park after spending the money at Selah. Are Houck's two other new courses worth paying for and playing over the Lindsey Park courses?

Also, any new information on the Lindsey park courses? There aren't any updated pictures or recent reviews for any of the courses.

Is Shawshank generally easy to get access to playing there? It didn't seem like too much trouble as per the reviews.

Thanks!

Nacogdoches has a couple of nice courses and there are several on the North side of Houston that won't be far from Shawshank. On the way to New Orleans Lafayette has some nice choices and the 2 courses on the north side of Baton Rouge are worth playing.

Nacogdoches has a couple of nice courses and there are several on the North side of Houston that won't be far from Shawshank. On the way to New Orleans Lafayette has some nice choices and the 2 courses on the north side of Baton Rouge are worth playing.

Good call.

Our plan at the moment is to hit Flanacher in Baton Rouge then play in Lafayette until dark hits - will probably start with Pa Davis then head to Acadiana - before riding up to Selah. Selah the next day, drive to Tyler, play Lindsey Park the next day, drive to Huntsville, then play Shawshank the next day. We might squeeze another course in near Shawshank before/on our way home to NOLA, depending on how the day pans out. Suggestions on what that could be would be helpful

I'm tempted to jettison the Louisiana plan on day 1 in favor if hitting Fort Buhlow - which I've yet to play and am immensely curious about - but I think the Baton Rouge/Lafayette plan outlined above showcases the best the southern Louisiana has to offer, such as it is.

We only have a 9 hole course with 2 tee off locations. Nothing great but we'll soon have a pretty good course come mid April. Until then, Nacogdoches is your best bet in this area.

Have to second the Flanacher in Baton Rouge and Acadiana courses in Lafayette, both excellent choices in my opinion and fun plays with nice locals to boot. North Houston area, Texas Army Trail is an ok choice but its over off of US HWY 290 outside of Houston, if in the area, would be a decent choice. On my way out to Baton Rouge a couple years ago we stopped just east of Houston and played Klein Park in Beaumont, fun course on our way out of Texas.

Another good choice fun course Windwood Presbyterian DGC in the Houston Area.

Honestly, I'd get to Selah as soon as you possibly can and then stay there for as long as you can ;) While you're in Lafayette though, go to Olde Tyme Grocery and get a poboy. Both Shrimp and Meatball are some of the best sandwiches you'll ever eat :)

If you are looking for some other courses near Shawshank; Little Egypt and Spring Valley are both pretty fun.

Fort Buhlow is worth skipping Lafayette. I have only played the original 18 and they have since added 18 more. Very fun and challenging. Way more fun the PA Davis. I would definitely consider heading north and playing there. Then you could play a night round in Shreveport at Clyde Fant which is lighted for all night play.

Thanks for all the input, folks. This is good stuff.

Fort Buhlow is worth skipping Lafayette. I have only played the original 18 and they have since added 18 more. Very fun and challenging. Way more fun the PA Davis. I would definitely consider heading north and playing there. Then you could play a night round in Shreveport at Clyde Fant which is lighted for all night play.

The more I hear about Fort Buhlow the more it seems like the way to go. We had a few guys from Alexandria in town for a small tourney this weekend, and they had nothing but good things to say. Sounds like the kind of golf you don't often get in Louisiana, with some decent elevation and a reasonable mix of par 3s and 4s. I might try to sneak up there preemptively (first week of March, maybe?) to check out Fort Buhlow and decide for myself.

If we can get ourselves moving early enough, we could probably even hit Flanacher on our way to Fort Buhlow.

Awesome tip on Clyde Fant, by the way. I had no idea it was lit for night rounds. I am supremely jealous of the locals for that one. Ever play it at night? How well is it lit?

Honestly, I'd get to Selah as soon as you possibly can and then stay there for as long as you can ;) While you're in Lafayette though, go to Olde Tyme Grocery and get a poboy. Both Shrimp and Meatball are some of the best sandwiches you'll ever eat :)

If you are looking for some other courses near Shawshank; Little Egypt and Spring Valley are both pretty fun.

Well, I live in New Orleans, so I have my own opinions as to the premium poboys! :D

It's lit enough that lighted discs are not needed. It is surrounded by giant freeway lights as well there are a few in the middle of the park. Light is not an issue.

Not knocking NO poboys. I do like Johnny's on St. Louis. But serious, stop on the way and let me know what you think. :)