• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Echo Star Valkyrie

OcDiscGolf

Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Just noticed that this disc was available. Has anyone tried one yet? I love this Echo * Material and was thinking of getting one, but it seems them only come as light as 169. Thoughts?

Just noticed that this disc was available. Has anyone tried one yet? I love this Echo * Material and was thinking of getting one, but it seems them only come as light as 169. Thoughts?

You do realize that Echo plastic is simply Star plastic discs that couldn't be sold and are recycled back into the mix and reused. So there should be no difference between Echo plastic and regular Star plastic, except for being a "greener" disc.

You do realize that Echo plastic is simply Star plastic discs that couldn't be sold and are recycled back into the mix and reused. So there should be no difference between Echo plastic and regular Star plastic, except for being a "greener" disc.

My understanding was that they were actually constructed from "bits and pieces" left over after molding star discs.

In any event, I may be crazy, but the echo star feels grippier to me that regular star.

E* plastic

Dave Dunipace (Founder and President of Innova) has a thread on another site and he said that E* plastic is made from plastic bits...not unsold discs. Also, they are grippier and in many cases have a much larger dome. In theory, they glide a lot more at low speed. I too am a HUGE fan. I have E* Destroyer, E* Katana, and E* Mako. They are all great discs and much preferred to normal Star...at least to me :thmbup:

Yep grippier, usually more dome, and more glide per my perception. I love my Echo Star Dart (which is drastically different than the Star Dart) and my Echo Star Boss which is domier and glidier than my Star Boss.

El-Kabong, playing with you is like going to the driving range I get to try out all the new discs (Like that GL Vision I gave a good talking to the other day) :thmbup:

the echo is actually the leftover scraps from their runs, not melted plastic

the echo is actually the leftover scraps from their runs, not melted plastic

Exactly !
Leftover Star plastic scraps.
Its exactly the same plastic as all the other Star plastic discs.
It's not any more grippy than regular Star is.
Molding and cooling differences have produced some anomalies, like super domes on some models, which result in flight characteristics different from the original models, and these differences vary greatly between models.
For example, older E* Destroyers were super stable compared to the regular Star runs, but E* Boss's are less stable than the regular runs, but the plastic is exactly the same as any other Star disc.

The most grippy driver plastic out there is still the gummy, pearly, milky, Champion stuff, its almost sticky. I think these discs had some Star plastic mixed in with the Champ stuff, like an experiment, before Star discs were actually released.

It was my understanding that Echo was a mixture of Star and Pro plastic, left over plastic pellets from other runs, melted rejected discs, so on and so forth, but the two plastics mixed together nonetheless.

As for the Echo Star Valkyrie, very flippy when compared to the regular Star Valkyrie, but still controllable once you have thrown it a few times. For bigger arms it would be a nice hyzer flip disc with better control than a Pro Katana. It cannot get the same distance as a Champion Katana on the same line, but when given enough hyzer and you let it sweep across the field, the E Star Valkyrie is sweet to watch. They seem to work best when you are throwing from elevation and hyzer it downwards, making sure you give enough hyzer and nose down where it does not flip.

I've only thrown one Echo Star Valk, however, my findings were completely opposite than smarkquart's. I had a red domey 175g e*valk that was very very stable. The stability it had was close to that of a QOLF and it never flew far for me at all. Compared to my other Star Valks, it flew about 20-30' shorter and compared to my DX Valks about 40-50'. It didn't fly like a Valk should for me, so I traded it off.

I did like the feel of the plastic, but I throw discs for their flight, not feel.

Echo star boss...a must have. Like a star Destroyer"Plus"...if there is such a thing. best disc in the wind for maximum distance, but can fly str8 when other boss plastics fade from stability. I'm taking them ALL!!!:thmbup:

I just got a 175 eco valkyrie last week from discnation. Compared to my regular 170 star valkyrie it has a bigger dome and is slightly more stable. I attribute most of that to the weight and dome, and it still flies like a valk to me. Fwiw I also have a eco wraith and an eco mako, and a lot of other regular star discs. The eco's are all a little bit tackier and seem a bit less rigid than their regular counterparts. The local PIAS has a decent selection of eco's and you have to look closely because some have really pop top domes, but the normal ones are money in just about every mold. My $.02

I've only thrown one Echo Star Valk, however, my findings were completely opposite than smarkquart's. I had a red domey 175g e*valk that was very very stable. The stability it had was close to that of a QOLF and it never flew far for me at all. Compared to my other Star Valks, it flew about 20-30' shorter and compared to my DX Valks about 40-50'.

I am wondering if maybe I got the freak of the batch then. I have a 172g orange fairly flat (at least considering the normal Star Valks I picked up at the same time). It might also be a case of self-fulfilling prophecy where my E Star Wraiths and Bosses are considerably less stable than their counterparts, especially after they have gotten beat in. I could have thrown the Valk with the thought that it was going to be less stable as well.

All I do remember is that I had about 20 to 30 throws on it before I decided that I would rather go with the normal Star Valks because they had better HSS stability.

Latest posts