• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Enjoyment of the activity vs focus on reward

I mean, that we were not really their friends was really driven home by the fact that it took $5/head to get them to hang out with us. At least to me it was.
I suppose that would be true. Definitely not a fan of that. I want to always put something on the line, but I'm also always perfectly happy to go into a round with nothing on the line if the person I'm playing against doesn't want to. I can find ways to play against myself if someone just wants to play without any stakes. Even if the way to "play against myself" is seeing if I can keep my drives on the fairway while blazed. lol

The fact that I enjoy playing courses that are well above my skill level (assuming they're well executed), tells me I enjoy the activity, rather than the reward.

Not much reward in shooting 12 over par.:\ If playing for score or rating was my yardstick for enjoyment, I'd have quit long ago.

For me, the reward is inherent in the game, the course, the shots, the scenery, the company, being out in nature...the whole experience.

so what did you shoot out at nobo

I play for money all the time. Not that I really want to, but occasionally, I'll end up with a free lunch, you know, nothing really big.

I'll put $5 bucks in the pot if the group wants it. Or I'll just have a side-bet with whomever, if that's something they enjoy doing...

But the best is the guy who always wants to play for $5, and who rarely gets anyone to bite. So many friends of ours are just literally thinking, "I can't beat him. Why should I pay for the pleasure of his company?" Right? We all understand that hesitance.

What they don't know is that if you take his bet, you'll come to the end of the round, and start digging for the money, and he'll gently stop you, and say something like, "I don't really want your money. I just wanted your best game, your focus."

In the end, he just wanted people to care about what they were doing, instead of making it ONLY about the social aspects of it. I try to remember that, whether there's a wager or not. Because really: if you're playing with friends, there's at least one of them you want to take down. And that extra focus can absolutely help. :D

so what did you shoot out at nobo

Recorded a 77 from the whites, but probs a couple of mulligans in there, so figure at least 79. A well used Mulligan will save more than a single stroke.

Pretty sure you can pull it up in my scorebook.

Don't think I recorded my 2nd round there in June 2021, but it was pretty wet, and I'm sure I played worse the 2nd time around because of tge wet conditions. I remember my feet being soaked.

Last edited:
In it Mr Huberman explains that focusing on a reward can take away almost all Dopamine release you get from doing an activity. He talks about an experiment where kids that love to paint get a reward for painting for a while and when they no longer get the reward, they aren't interested in painting any more.

He argues that you have to find your Dopamine releases during the activity, not in form of an reward afterwards.

I wonder how much this is related to tournament burnout. I Have been playing tournaments for 10 years now and it really took most of my enjoyment i had from disc golf. Just focusing on relaxed rounds with my buddies on the weekend is so much more enjoyable for me.

It makes sense in the way that often money in itself is not the best reward fro a lot of people and does not always garner better job performance, especially compared to social recognition. (Shortage of money/resource notwithstanding to that person.)

My biggest enjoyment is playing for fun and watching the discs occasionally fly the way they are suppose to.

Also, DG is my main way to keep myself in shape so that's also a reward right there.

Might sound strange, but when I don't worry about how I'm playing, and just enjoy getting out in the fresh air and watching discs fly, I play my best rounds and get the maximum enjoyment out of the time spent on the course.

I am absolutely one of those people that likes to put "something on the line" every time out, even if I'm just playing for fun and planning on smoking until I can't throw straight. But, knowing I'm a good player, even with players of similar skill level I'm almost always looking to give out strokes unless the other player is better than me. I usually try to give out at least the 1 stroke per rating point or whatever. If you're the better player and you're gonna be "that guy" wanting a money round then you absolutely should be offering strokes with your ask of someone else to play you for money. Its just plain a straight up obligation from my end. There's no fun to be had in taking money from my friends in an uneven competition.

100% agree with this.

I play for money all the time. Not that I really want to, but occasionally, I'll end up with a free lunch, you know, nothing really big.

I'll put $5 bucks in the pot if the group wants it. Or I'll just have a side-bet with whomever, if that's something they enjoy doing...

But the best is the guy who always wants to play for $5, and who rarely gets anyone to bite. So many friends of ours are just literally thinking, "I can't beat him. Why should I pay for the pleasure of his company?" Right? We all understand that hesitance.

What they don't know is that if you take his bet, you'll come to the end of the round, and start digging for the money, and he'll gently stop you, and say something like, "I don't really want your money. I just wanted your best game, your focus."

In the end, he just wanted people to care about what they were doing, instead of making it ONLY about the social aspects of it. I try to remember that, whether there's a wager or not. Because really: if you're playing with friends, there's at least one of them you want to take down. And that extra focus can absolutely help. :D

Great post. For me it is the same thing. Play for something so everyone stays focused and gets the opportunity to test themselves under pressure. It's really not about winning or losing.

I'm lost in the this thread. Is competition an activity, or reward?

I understand that throwing the discs and being outside and all that are activities; and that the trophy or wager or tournament payout are rewards.

But competition? I've enjoyed competing at things since I was a tot, racing someone across the yard to see who would "get there first." I've never cared to bet, nor needed something "on the line" to strive to win.

In all the sports I've played, that's part of the fun. Not winning -- but trying to win.

So, for me, it's part of the activity, in which I do all those other things -- walk in the park, watch discs fly, etc. -- with the enhancement of competition.

I'm lost in the this thread. Is competition an activity, or reward?

I understand that throwing the discs and being outside and all that are activities; and that the trophy or wager or tournament payout are rewards.

But competition? I've enjoyed competing at things since I was a tot, racing someone across the yard to see who would "get there first." I've never cared to bet, nor needed something "on the line" to strive to win.

In all the sports I've played, that's part of the fun. Not winning -- but trying to win.

So, for me, it's part of the activity, in which I do all those other things -- walk in the park, watch discs fly, etc. -- with the enhancement of competition.
That's not really what I thought they were getting at.

The "focus on the reward" is more like the person who won't sign up for your event because the payout isn't high enough. They don't care if your course is challenging and you have some of the top players in your area playing for them to compete against, they are focused 100% on what reward you are going to shower them with. If that reward isn't there for them, they get no enjoyment out of the actual competition and/or the actual act of playing disc golf and they won't do it.

That's not really what I thought they were getting at.

The "focus on the reward" is more like the person who won't sign up for your event because the payout isn't high enough. They don't care if your course is challenging and you have some of the top players in your area playing for them to compete against, they are focused 100% on what reward you are going to shower them with. If that reward isn't there for them, they get no enjoyment out of the actual competition and/or the actual act of playing disc golf and they won't do it.

Gotcha. I wasn't sure.

There's a beauty in approaching a bad lie after a terrible kick, and letting the creative gears spin up as you attempt to save your par/whatever. Smelling the fresh air, the high that comes from exercise, the attempt to stay "in it" in the face of adversity - there is joy to be found, even when the reward is a double bogey.

There's a beauty in approaching a bad lie after a terrible kick, and letting the creative gears spin up as you attempt to save your par/whatever. Smelling the fresh air, the high that comes from exercise, the attempt to stay "in it" in the face of adversity - there is joy to be found, even when the reward is a double bogey.

Lol. In no rational world is a double bogey a reward. Just saying.

Lol. In no rational world is a double bogey a reward. Just saying.

Don't pretend you've never stared down a snowman and somehow clawed your way back for a +2. Or maybe your scramble game needs some work.

Some days I consider the fact that I'm able to play at all a reward.

Don't pretend you've never stared down a snowman and somehow clawed your way back for a +2. Or maybe your scramble game needs some work.

Ha. My scramble game is solid but I don't have to scramble much. Either I don't find myself out of position often or I just don't play in the woods. I'll let you decide which scenario applies.

Some days I consider the fact that I'm able to play at all a reward.

Agreed for sure.

Latest posts